Does anyone ever....

Options
.....get irritated by how little most people understand about nutrition?! Because I really DO!

Every now and then I'll read the posts on the general boards (the ones that are advertised on the main page) and I just think wow, you people really have no clue. It makes me sad to think how much people believe they know about nutrition, when their "facts" have no scientific basis whatsoever. And I don't think it's their fault either because we are bombarded with so much inconsistent or just completely incorrect information EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Anyhow, yeah that was kinda ranty. I just wonder, does anyone else get frustrated by this like I do? I know plenty of people personally who are very "concerned" that I'm doing low carb (so much so that I've actually started saying I'm on a "low glycemic diet" and that curbs the criticism) and yet, they see my results and are amazed by it. What a strange paradox.

Replies

• LBeth1015
    LBeth1015 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yes! As soon as you say "low-carb" people freak out. Automatically assume it's "unhealthy" to eat this way. Then they watch what I eat and suddenly shut up. I' mean seriously, since when has chicken or steak and vegtables ever been "unhealthy"?
    Oh, it also doesn't hurt that they see my pants getting looser every day. :wink:
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    As they much down a can of chocolate-covered potato chips...
  • ea101367
    ea101367 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I was having a bit of an off day last week. Turns out it was PMS, however, my co-worker (who is vegetarian) says to me, maybe you need to eat some carbs. REALLY? Since when is bread the answer? I'm starting to suggest to her she might need more protein, Moo!!!
  • myhusbandletsme
    myhusbandletsme Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was having a bit of an off day last week. Turns out it was PMS, however, my co-worker (who is vegetarian) says to me, maybe you need to eat some carbs. REALLY? Since when is bread the answer? I'm starting to suggest to her she might need more protein, Moo!!!

this!
  • hernamewasdana
    Options
    I see a lot of people on what I assume are traditional LFHC diets saying "I just don't think I could cut out an entire food group." or "Why should I deny myself something that is good for me?" BUT THEY RESTRICT FAT!! How is my restricting carbs any different then their restricting fat???

After seeing the scale drop 8lbs in 8 days, I'm so on board with FAT IS NOT THE ENEMY!

:happy:
  • msnucerity
    msnucerity Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    It makes me nuts!!! And being a moderately pushy person I usually ask them to cite their sources. Those who give any answer usually spew off "facts" from a blog rather than a peer-reviewed journal. Pfft.

I had the pleasure of discussing low-carb with someone yesterday and they couldn't understand- "You're going to cut out bread forever? Is that really something anyone should do? Even if bread isn't the greatest cutting it out seems a bit much"

*prepare for an epic rebuttal*

"It does make sense and it is doable. Besides, cigarettes aren't the greatest thing for anyone, even if you didn't get cancer would you recommend someone quit, let their lungs get healthy and then start to re-introduce cigarettes back in to their routine? No- you quit, get healthy and stay healthy by not smoking anymore."

*MINDS BLOWN*
  • edgartronic
    Options
    Yep. It drove me mad to the point where, when people ask how I lost the weight, I just say "oh, I cut back on my sweets, ate more meats & veggies and drank more water." Funny how the words "keto" or "low carb" have such a negative stigma, thanks to the Atkins people.
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I just don't discuss it anymore. I would get eyerolls at the mention of low carb and very few people know what keto is around here. Now I just tell people I can't have stuff because it negatively impacts my blood sugar. They back off quick, nobody wants to be responsible for giving someone else the "sugar diabetes" :wink:
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    *prepare for an epic rebuttal*

"It does make sense and it is doable. Besides, cigarettes aren't the greatest thing for anyone, even if you didn't get cancer would you recommend someone quit, let their lungs get healthy and then start to re-introduce cigarettes back in to their routine? No- you quit, get healthy and stay healthy by not smoking anymore."

*MINDS BLOWN*

PERFECT! Will be sharing that one. thanks
  • lebowski8
    lebowski8 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    all the time. this is why i came to keto boards to talk about diet. it's easier than justifying, re-explaining, and defending.

this diet requires that you read, research, learn, analyse information and ultimately come to your own conclusions and feel secure in your judgment. otherwise, I'd still be following the herds, doing some variation of weight watchers like everybody else in the world. that's the daytime tv stuff.

this diet should be mainstream, in my opinion. someday the good science will win. but for now, it's underground and we're swimming against the current.

anyway, just today my client voluntarily told me that she avoids cream and uses skim because she and her kids have high cholesterol. I wanted to explain that was old science. but i had to let this one go.
  • juganaut
    juganaut Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I study nutritional medicine so a little part of me thinks it's unfair to expect everyone to know about nutrition, but I also work at a primary school with kids that have dietary requirements....

Kid comes to the office - "I forgot my lunch..."
    "here's an apple"
    "i'm fructose intolerant"
    "i'll call mum"...

i called mum
    "I'll pick up some McDonald's on the way to the school"...

right... because McDonald's doesn't contain any fructose... *facepalm*

SERIOUSLY!?! basic nutrition should be taught to all kids in schools - both primary and secondary. There needs to be more emphasis on how important nutrition is!!!
  • juganaut
    juganaut Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    anyway, just today my client voluntarily told me that she avoids cream and uses skim because she and her kids have high cholesterol. I wanted to explain that was old science. but i had to let this one go.

They spent so much money on that old science, realised that it was wrong and won't even admit it properly. It's all fkn politics and it makes my blood boil...
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Anytime someone tries to get all sciency on me I remind them that scientists used to believe that the world was flat and that the sun revolved around the earth.

Science is ever evolving so when people ask how i lose weight i just tell them i cut carbs and don't go into it unless they are really interested.
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Oh boy do I get sick of explaining keto to people, and the lack of general knowledge towards low-carb lifestyles (as well as nutrition in general ) is somewhat appalling...You'd think people would be more concerned in regards to what they're eating. What's really agitating is that as soon as I say low-carb they automatically assume I eat no veggies, and just eat meat only.

I then go into a long winded spiel about how the body processes certain foods for energy (e.g fat, or carbs/sugar - essentially keto v. glucogenisis ) good cholesterol v. bad cholesterol, how my BP is awesome, and just because I eat a moderate amount of protein, it does not mean I don't eat my green veggies.

It's rather annoying, so these days when people ask questions at work about my diet I just keep my mouth shut.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options

*MINDS BLOWN*

OMG. I never thought of comparing sugar/starch to tobacco before. BRILLIANT! :D
  • dandyforman
    Options
    Hi there!

I'm vegetarian keto/LCHF, and have also found a lot of resistance to this lifestyle. I've found that people have a lot of resistance to LCHF because conventional dieting tells us that calorie counting is the only accurate and garunteed way to lose weight permantly. There is a lot of science behind this, as well as logic. Eat less, weigh less.

Science also tells us that, per gram, fat has the highest calorie content. Carbs: 4 cals/g; Protien: 4 cals/g; Fat: 9 cals/g. So, scientifically and logically, cutting fats to save calories and feel satiated makes sense.

What science forgets to tell us (rather conveniently) is that while fats are calorie rich, they are also filling. Protien keeps people moderately full, but the human body treats excess protien the same way as excess carbs: breaks them down into glucose for storage.

A lot of resistance also stems from the history of LFHC diets. The LFHC movement came about in the 70's as a response to the growing heart disease epidemic. Most of the population ate a LCHFHP diet conventionally. If housewives in the 50's and 60's wanted to lose weight quickly, the first thing they cut from their diet was carbs and sugar.

The dietary response to heart disease was the "quick fix" issued by the FDA and the USDA as a way to deal with the epidemic quickly. What wasn't addressed was the vast changes in farming practices happening at that time, as well. A lot more chemically-treated goods were intoduced into people's diets at that time. And the results of a LFHC diet wouldn't be seen for years.

Long story short, people are quick to judge and assume. There are people who thrive on a LFHC diet, and that's great! If it works for you, that's awesome, keep doing what you're doing and keep being awesome! Not everyone is the same =) For us, HFLC is the way to go!

Sources:
    http://eatlowglycemic.com/2011/11/07/2-the-origin-of-the-unhealthy-low-fat-high-carbohydrate-diet/
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/388545-macronutrient-ratios-in-a-diet/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_(nutrient)#Excess_consumption
  • DehydrationStation
    Options
    Ever since I read 'Wheat Belly', I keep hearing the term "Healthy Whole Grains!" everywhere. :noway:

It used to drive me nuts. Now it just strikes me as a profound oxymoron.
  • Roze_Lintje
    Roze_Lintje Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I actually don't get irritated that much. I think I'm just lucky that I'm surrounded by people who respect my choices. Most of them also know I've been struggeling with my health and eating keto made me feel a lot better. So I think they are just happy for me :)

Ofcourse I also meet people that say things that I don't agree with. But normally I would just ignore it, because I don't feel the need to explain them in what I believe. Everybody should make their own decisions and as long as they feel good, I respect whatever they choose. And hopefully they will respect my decision. I think it's also hard for people what to believe, there are so many books out there and so many 'truths'.

However there is something that irritated me! A friend has been trying to lose weight for years (weight watchers) but she just can't make it happen. So I said, maybe you should try a different approach. And she wanted to try low carb and see if that would make a change. So when someone is interested, I enjoy helping them, because I enjoy talking about food ;). Logging is just so important! And I saw her eating some candy, and asked her if she logged that, she said 'no it's just one piece'. And that also happened with other things she ate. And I kept saying, but those things are full of carbs, it's not only bread,pasta etc and it's really important to log. And after week she decided that low carb didn't work for her and gave up. THAT irritated me!