TF/CHX Hybrid Boredom

Options
Pipsg1rl
Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
I am about to start my 3rd month of the TF/CHX Hybrid listed on the BeachBody website. I've noticed I'm starting to feel a little bored with the routine.

This coming month is nothing but TF and Burn Intervals. I really don't like cardio very much and it's making me want to substitute a month of something like 30DS (which I don't own but have heard fantastic things about).

Have any of you done this hybrid? It's 20 weeks long, ending just before my brother's wedding March 1. I thought it would be perfect but I'm just not as happy.

Thanks for your comments!

Replies

• giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I did the Insanity/CLX hybrid, and then moved on to only CLX, and yes, I was burnt out!

Decided to continue some form of weight training, the benefits are amazing, so invested in some other weight training based programs to rotate into my schedule.

Good luck!
  • Pipsg1rl
    Options
    Thank you for the note of encouragement.

Maybe I should just listen to myself and mix it up more. I do love weight training, but i hate to say it's Chalene overload.

I bet that's it. I need a change of mentor ;)

hugs to you.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Options
    I have decided to just mix it up this month, but still keep in the Lean 1,2,and 3.

I'll update the group later.
  • sugaree1202
    sugaree1202 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I do my own hybrid of CLX and TF because I prefer the TF classes over Burn Intervals and just didn't like the Beachbody hybrid.

I have the old TF set with Core, Tone and Sculpt. I follow the "TurboFire Class Schedule" (sometimes skipping the resistance band classes) then add it the CLX strength circuits each week.

So for Month 1, I do Burn Circuits 1, 2 & 3 once a week each, Month 2 is Push 1, 2 & 3 and Month 3 is Lean 1, 2 & 3.

This is my second time doing "my" hybrid (3rd time doing CLX) and I absolutely love it! I get great results and find the ratio of cardio to strength is perfect.

Are you still sticking with the hybrid? Have you found a schedule you like better?
  • Pipsg1rl
    Options
    I have stopped doing the TF and have been subbing in the Spartacus Workout by Men's Health (on DVD). I really really like those. I am almost through my 3rd week of Lean.

The weight isn't really dropping, but my size is smaller. (woot!)
  • sugaree1202
    Options
    Way to go sticking with it! It's great you found a cardio workout you enjoy - that's what's important :)

With an intense strength training program like CLX, you won't really see drastic weight loss for a few reasons. First, your body composition is changing - you're losing fat and gaining muscle which cancels out the respective fat loss on the scale. Also, your muscles are retaining loads of water for repair due to tears in the muscle tissue that are created when you challenge your muscles with progressively heavier weights. This is normal and how muscle is built. Because your muscles retain water for several hours post workout, the best day to weigh-in and take progress measurements is the morning after your rest day. Never measure right after a workout, unless you want to see how many inches water retention adds to your body anyway ;)

Muscle is more dense than fat so it weighs more by volume but takes up much less space (this is why you're not losing a lot of scale weight but are getting smaller). Muscle also requires more calories than fat to maintain so the added muscle is boosting your metabolism.

Somewhere around now - the lean month - your muscle gain will slow down, your muscles will stop retaining as much water, your metabolism will really ramp up from the added lean body mass and the pounds will start to melt off.

You're really close to seeing big results! Keep pushing play!
  • Pipsg1rl
    Options
    This is not my first round of ChaLean, it's my second. I remember not having much change in the first 2 months, but that in the last month it was pretty drastic. I was also more strict then on my calorie intake. I gained all the weight back and am not trying to push too much.

I always weigh in the morning, after peeing and before getting dressed.

And I like the music in TF, but I'm not very coordinated so that takes some of the fun out of it for me. I felt the same way when I did BBL.
  • sugaree1202
    Options
    I gained everything I lost and then some after my first round of CLX when I had to stop working out due to an injury. It's so frustrating to have the same weight over again ><

It's a lot easier to stay motivated when you know what to expect - a lot of people gain a little in the first few weeks due to water retention and then give up right before the results start becoming visible. I definitely enjoyed the second round of CLX better than the first and was able to really get to that point of failure with every exercise. I like that everytime I do Chalene's programs, I find a new way to challenge myself and get more out of the program than the previous round!

I took aerobic dance to satisfy the fitness credits during my Bachelor's degree in biology and learned the basic dance steps that almost all dance cardio programs use repeatedly plus I did Zumba for several months before finding TurboFire. Otherwise I'd be all over the place! I also have nerve damage in my right ankle and can't feel my right foot - the main nerve in my leg was cut during surgery a few years ago after I broke my leg. I have to be very aware of my movements and modify some of the plyo - I literally have to be thinking 3 steps ahead so I don't hurt myself which helps me remember the moves and routines. It took a while to get the moves down and figure out my modifications but once I did, the classes became a lot more fun!

I'm a daily weigher too but only update my weight once a week (the morning after my rest day). I use Libra, a weight trending app, to track the trends in my weight fluctuations. The app works best if you log daily, generates a trendline and estimates when you will reach your goal weight along with BMI (there are more accurate tools available to determine BMI though). It's a great app and really helps me see the progress I'm making even when it doesn't feel like it because my weight is all over the place from pms, water retention, etc. I also saw information on a similar tool being released by google available once you login to your google account that works on PCs (Libra is only pon mobile devices) but haven't checked to see if its been released yet.

How were your results from BBL? That's on my list of programs I'm going to do!
  • Pipsg1rl
    Options
    BBL I think I had some good results from, but it was pretty mild after having already done a million squats and lunges with Chalene. It's a 2 month program. I recommend if you do get it to get the one that comes with the extra videos since it can be very repetitive. the 10 minute workout is TOTALLY worth it.

My photos are probably still listed under my profile OR you can search for my posts and see the thread. I don't know where it is and that was a while back.

I recently heard about trendweight.com and have just now started using it. I don't have a trend yet.

I have a FitBit and my husband got us the Aria scale and it ties into trendweight.

Also I moved from 1200 + workout to my TDEE -20%. However it's more like my TDEE -15% since I have been going slightly over daily. At least I don't feel as hungry all the time.
  • sugaree1202
    Options
    Thanks for the info on BBL! I wasn't sure if it was worth it to order the deluxe set but you just helped me decide to get it! I'll definitely check out your progress photos - every after pic I've seen from BBL shows the nicest butt! I want a BBL butt :)

I haven't heard of trendweight yet, I'm sure it works similarly to Libra though. It's great that it syncs with FitBit and Aria. It's really helpful when I can see the trend in my weight fluctuations. Even though I know weight fluctuations are normal and don't always indicate a fat gain or loss, it's still discouraging when the scale jumps up a few pounds. Plus I'm just a nerd and love seeing how the different statistics and predictions. The more data you log in any trending program, the more accurate it will be!

How do you like the Aria scale? I love my FitBit One and have been eyeing that scale for a while.

It's crazy how making little tweaks and changes to your diet or calorie intake can make such a big difference isn't? I love IIFYM and using the different calculators they have to determine TDEE, BMR etc. Because of my height (I'm 5' even) side effects from the medication I take for the nerve damage in my ankle, my BMR is so abnormally low that the only way I lose any weight is by working out enough that I can maintain deficit of 1000 calories or more but still be able to eat enough that I'm not starving. I never had difficulty losing before my injury as long as I was active and have tried every calorie combo since to try and get better results but mycurrent ccalorie intake and Shakeology is the only way I can get close to a normal rate of weight loss.

If eating at your TDEE - 15% keeps you satisfied and at a consistent calorie deficit, it's better to eat a little more and maintain a routine then it is to deprive yourself a risk going on a binge. You're also burning tons of calories during CLX plus your metabolism is at the point where it's faster due to your incease in lean body mass so it makes sense that you need those extra calories. The most important thing when it comes to successful weight loss is making realistic and sustainable lifestyle changes that work for you. The biggest motivation blocker is when you feel like you can't follow a food plan or consistently meet a calorie intake goal because they're unrealistic, you know? Successful weight loss/fitness is starts with a positive mindset and solid plan that you can follow!

You're really kicking butt chica - keep it up :)
  • Pipsg1rl
    Options
    2 things about the scale:

1- it takes a few minutes to set up. Don't stand on it until you connect it to your network. You have to have it near your ipad or another wireless computer to set it up.
    2- in order to update your weight on the FitBit dashboard it has to be connected to the network. I think it saves the weigh-in until it can connect.

You don't have to have a fitbit to weigh yourself, it will just call you "guest" and store the weight.
    you can invite up to ?8? people to use the scale with their FitBits but there is some confusion if you are close to the same weight. (Read the posts on this).

You don't want to move it around after deciding where to put it.

My husband picked black but I wish he had picked White since it would go with our flooring in the bathroom better and not stick out so much.
  • sugaree1202
    Options
    Thanks for the info on the Aria! One of these days I'm going to upgrade my cheap, Wal-Mart digital scale and that's the one I'm thinking about going with!
  • Pipsg1rl
    Options
    oh yeah, the other thing i didn't like but have adjusted for is that it weighed me 5lbs heavier than my $6 scale from Target.

However, so do the scales at the doctor's office and in the gym. So I'm guessing that the Aria has the right of it.
  • sugaree1202
    Options
    That's interesting. You'd think the weight difference at the doctor or gym would be accounted for by weight from clothing and normal fluctuations due to the time of day and how much liquid/food you've consumed between your morning weigh-in and doctor/gym weigh-in.

I got pretty lucky with my cheap scale being pretty accurate compared to the doctor's (usually a 2-3 pound difference if anything). It does sometimes give me several weights within 5-7 pounds of each other so u have to weigh myself a few times to get an accurate weight each morning but otherwise it gets the job done!
  • kyunda
    kyunda Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    You sound like me! I have gained all of my weight that i lost when i finished Tf after some health issues.

I'm back to Tf now…week 2, and i have about 8 sessions with a personal trainer that i have to finish before march. I HAVE GOT TO GET THIS WEIGHT BACK OFF!!! The good thing is that i know i can do it, i know that i can get this weight off because i have done it before!!!