B-12

Options
hey guys had my one week check up today and soo far ive lost 30 pounds soo along with the 20 that i lost on my pre diet i lost 10 pounds in one week of being on the liquid diet 30 pounds in three weeks is a great start but ive got soo much further to go my question tho is about vitamin B-12 they told me i start vitamins on my stage 3 diet which is 2 weeks from now well i buy my protein from unjury and found that their vitamins that are specific for bariatric patients had a lot more nutrients than just over the counter ones soo i bought them i got the multivitamins the calcium vitamin D-3 and vitamin B-12 well today they told me the B-12 had to be sublingual meaning you put it under your tongue and it dissolves well the B-12 that i bought are pill form and say to take them orally i looked it up and from what i see on the internet it says there is no difference between the two tho my doctors insisted it is supposedly abosrbed better with the sublingual soo my question is how do you take your vitamin B-12? sublingual or with a pill? just hoping i didn't waste 20 dollars on B-12 pills i can't use thanks a lot eveyone and happy holiday!

Replies

• mwolfe8704
    Options
    I don't take B-12, but I can tell you that taking any pills is difficult post surgery, at least for me. I still use Flintstones for my multi-vitamin, and was on chewable Calcium vitamins until 3 mos post-op when I was told to use the pill form instead. it has been a struggle for me to get them down ever since and I am now almost 5 mos out. I just want to go back to the chewables again, so I would suggest to use the sublingual B-12, at least for now, and maybe try the pills later on.

Good Luck!
  • shaynemkeeler
    Options
    thanks alot my multivitamin and calcium are both chewable soo hopefully i won't have any trouble lol
  • tabatham1982
    tabatham1982 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I was also told to only take b12 sublingual. My doctor said it absorbs better and easier on stomach. I got mine from Target and it has a nice cherry flavor.
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I do vit b12 shots I give them to myself. Easy and cheap!,
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Sublingual absorbs better but the pill, as well as any drinks, works fine. Nice job on the weight loss.
  • LolaBug85
    LolaBug85 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You should definitely be taking sublingual B12 :) They're easy to dissolve under the tongue and they taste good too. This is the kind I take!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051OM00S/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • JfMarrs
    JfMarrs Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I take the Twin Labs brand sub-lingual B12, they are tiny little purple pills that you put under your tongue and dissolve quickly and taste decent. My Nutritionist has me taking one every three days since my levels were so high on my last 2 blood tests.
  • Daisyboohoo
    Daisyboohoo Posts: 84 Member
    Options

Please tell me how you do this? I have everything to give myself the shot, but do not know how and am too scared!
  • Skykilr1
    Skykilr1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    There's also liquid forms of B12. Sort of like the sublingual kind, you keep it under the tongue for 30-60sec then swallow it. I'd say either types would be better than the pills.
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options

Please tell me how you do this? I have everything to give myself the shot, but do not know how and am too scared!

Get RX from doctor. B12 comes in one ml or 10ml files. I do mine on the 12th of month. I usually skip the month I have my yearly blood work drawn Get syringe from pharmacy when you get B12. Either the pharmacist or the doctor office that prescribes can demonstrate. Your belly is the easiest. Does not hurt. Since my tummy tuck I have been using the outer part of thigh. Plenty of excess skin ther. This s very inexpensive. RX is about 82 cents a month. Insurance pays 80%. So my cost is less than a quarter per month. Much better absorption too.
  • sashahanrahan
    sashahanrahan Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If you are pre-surgery, the B-12 pills are probably fine. After your surgery, because the stomach acids are changed the b-12 will not absorb into your body properly. My clinic suggests the sublingual (cheapest), the B-12 injections, or nascobal nasal spray. Good luck to you!