Week1

Options
FitWithVic
FitWithVic Posts: 65 Member
So today was day 3 of the basic programme and I'm finding it slightly underwhelming, I feel I should be doing more to get the body of my dreams(!) I know a lot of it is nutrition and this week only yesterday I went off track when at my daughter's Xmas party. I thought it a good idea to start before Xmas to help keep me on the straight and narrow. Who else is currently doing the programme and how are you getting on? I find the app so helpful as the book is great to read to get the background but not so easy to flick through when working out!

Replies

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Quick question: do you have the iPhone app? That one has you stop at 36 reps total. Which is utterly lame and stupid, IMO. Ladders should not be "set in stone", especially not to 4 reps max (I could go to 10 squats in a row easy even when I started, and I did, but more often than not I had to finish my let me ups doing solely singles). Keep going for the full 7 minutes. As many reps as you can. If it's still too easy, progress the exercises some. But I'm pretty sure 7 minutes of work on any exercise is eventually gonna give you a burn.
  • FitWithVic
    FitWithVic Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have the android app which I assume has the same limitation you've mentioned, I think Mark's advice would be to make the exercise harder and progress it so you can't reach 36 or add some time in to hold the position during the rep perhaps?
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Quick question: do you have the iPhone app? That one has you stop at 36 reps total. Which is utterly lame and stupid, IMO. Ladders should not be "set in stone", especially not to 4 reps max (I could go to 10 squats in a row easy even when I started, and I did, but more often than not I had to finish my let me ups doing solely singles). Keep going for the full 7 minutes. As many reps as you can. If it's still too easy, progress the exercises some. But I'm pretty sure 7 minutes of work on any exercise is eventually gonna give you a burn.

Really? I have the android app. For ladders I start at one, head up the ladder, usually head back down at 9 or 10 reps (I feel like I get more work in by heading back down and decreasing the rest.) If you got back down to 1 you'd be able to go back up again. I end up at more like 66 reps or so.

To the op, the ladders and intervals are much easier. Gets harder with supersets, and then with the introduction of tabatas and strappers in week 7 it gets harder again.

Did you try the fitness test to see if you should start with the basic or 1st class program? Maybe you need to switch?
  • krokador
    Options
    Yeah, I have the android app too and have had mine set at variable ladders, but I know the iOS app has that really dumb limitation on it and I thought that might've been why the workout was underwhelming. I've gotten myself over 100 reps of squats a few times before haha.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have the android app too and have had mine set at variable ladders, but I know the iOS app has that really dumb limitation on it and I thought that might've been why the workout was underwhelming. I've gotten myself over 100 reps of squats a few times before haha.

That is stupid! It doesn't make sense that there would be a limit on something timed like that. Glad I have a droid! For squats, because I don't find straight squats that challenging either, I've been holding a weighted back pack.
  • krokador
    Options
    Haha, I started doing that with let me in's at one point. When my grip strength was good enough to hold it, anyway.

Sounds to me like you might actually be okay jumping to the intermediate workout. Jump squats get pretty challenging as you get to higher reps because you also get pretty winded, too! (and if just one exercise happens to be too hard, just regress that one?)
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    The version of the IOS app I have, does limit ladders to 4 reps, but it doesn't stop you going up, down, up, down, up,down as you need to.