LADIES! WHERE ARE YOU?

Options
Adc7225
Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
Hello,

My name is Adrian and I did not start this group but thought it was a great idea. At the time that I joined I was dealing with issues of working-out daily and my hair . . . I worked that out but I had hoped that this group would be an active one where we could offer support for each other because to be honest some of the things we deal with are not necessarily shared by the majority on the Message Boards.

Currently I am still on track with my weight loss and not making any New Year Resolutions, but I do intend to start working out a little with weights to try and firm up my upper body. I struggle with really trying to set a goal. I have a hard time wrapping my mind around being a certain weight and what that will look like on me. Reading the forums and seeing goal numbers in the 120's and 130's is not realistic for me. While I am 5'2" size 8/10 on top and 14 on the bottom, I think 150/160 is realistic and do-able for myself. Of course my AA friends think I look great now and losing 25 or so more pounds is a bit much, while other ask 'so how much more do you have to go' implying I need to continue going :smile:

Am I alone in getting the varied responses?
How did you decide on your goal weight?

Replies

• svsl0928
    svsl0928 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is two fold. I want get of BP Meds and weight under 200. I am 5 6 1/2 with a large frame. Currently, at 204 and want to start maintenance at around 185 to 190. My nutritionist said she thinks I can weight 185. As an adult, I have not weight this. Even at 204 I can see and feed my bones. Anything below185 probably will not look right on my. I don't want to look sick.
  • Truegoddess22
    Truegoddess22 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I joined the group for some of the same reasons. Looking for support from other AA ladies who kind of know the struggle but none of my groups are active much at all! Groups can go months without posting anything and so it's hard to keep things going. I am 5'2 as well. My goal weigh is 125-130. I am currently at 176. All I can say is good luck and keep pushing!
  • Starr521
    Options
    I have been yo young with my weight for 7 years(after the birth of my youngest child). I've had a difficult time staying focused on healthy living because I tend to stay down once I've fallen.
    I've never been "skinny" but always healthy. This past year I've found myself less flexible, out of breathe and with constant leg and foot cramps at night. So it's time to stay focused.
    While my long term goal is 150 + , I have a few short term goals.
    1) drink more water
    2) get more sleep
    3) log my food daily
    I hope to find friends along this journey to encourage and be encouraged.
  • cherrikim
    cherrikim Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I started back on my plan in December, but haven't been too strict. I'm 274.6 lbs & chose my goal weight by adding about 15 to 20 lbs to the lowest weight I've ever been in my 20's. My goal weight is 175-185, if I get anywhere in that area I'll be happy. I believe all the charts say at 5' 8" I should be 165 at my highest weight. I don't think so, lol. I tend to do very well then start to slide off plan by eating a lot of fast food. Over the past 6 months I've been eating a lot of sweets which I've never done before. I think this is due to me starting a new job after working 11 years at my previous one. There tends to be a lot of stress involved with my new position which I think may be the cause.

Maybe if we decide to post at something at least twice a week each we could help each other along. I've joined several groups myself to find that no one uses them anymore. Plus the groups section is really not too user friendly.
  • cherrikim
    Options
    Hello,

My name is Adrian and I did not start this group but thought it was a great idea. At the time that I joined I was dealing with issues of working-out daily and my hair . . . I worked that out but I had hoped that this group would be an active one where we could offer support for each other because to be honest some of the things we deal with are not necessarily shared by the majority on the Message Boards.

Currently I am still on track with my weight loss and not making any New Year Resolutions, but I do intend to start working out a little with weights to try and firm up my upper body. I struggle with really trying to set a goal. I have a hard time wrapping my mind around being a certain weight and what that will look like on me. Reading the forums and seeing goal numbers in the 120's and 130's is not realistic for me. While I am 5'2" size 8/10 on top and 14 on the bottom, I think 150/160 is realistic and do-able for myself. Of course my AA friends think I look great now and losing 25 or so more pounds is a bit much, while other ask 'so how much more do you have to go' implying I need to continue going :smile:

Am I alone in getting the varied responses?
    How did you decide on your goal weight?

Instead of choosing final goal weight just say your going to lose 5 lbs. When you hit that goal then do another 5 & so on until you get to a comfortable weight.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I have somewhat given up on the numbers. I know that the reality is very few people are happy with their bodies so I am really trying to concentrate on just being healthy and building up some muscle. My weight was sort of a buffer and as it does down I feel sort of vulnerable so I hope building some muscle will help :smile: .

One thing that helps me with the sweets is logging food before I eat it - sometimes seeing those numbers can make you lose interest. I still have sweets but I make better choices and have cut way down on the amounts because at the end of the day it just wasn't worth it.
  • Starr521
    Options
    I like the idea of posting on the group weekly !
    I know that my hardest time is while I'm premenstrual. I'm working on intaking more water and preparing my meals in advance.
    As fot the question on how I decided my ideal weight.... I chose the lowest weight I have been. right now I'm at 274.2 and looking to lose 100 lbs, give or take. I am not going to focus on the scale but would like to wear a size 12 or 14.
  • Billswife2011
    Options
    Hello all,

I am ready to get healthy. I am an 'accidental' clean eater and love it. I have lost 7.8 pounds in the past two weeks, have more energy and have not felt hungry. My definition of 'clean eating' is eating as near to nature as processed...no processed foods, veggies, fruits, whole-grain products, etc. I love it and my husband is on the bandwagon. I am looking for friends...add me, please.

Lisa
  • Kenyaroja
    Kenyaroja Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi ladies! I hope you are still out there! I am 5'1", 194 lbs. I have been between 197 and 200 lbs forever! I am 45 and want to get off bp meds and down to at least 170 lbs. Let's support each other!
  • AndraSay65
    AndraSay65 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hey Ladies,

I am glad to see a group where the members are attempting to keep up with posting throughout each week. Posting is sometimes difficult to do just as the journey to being healthy is sometimes difficult. I believe we all have it inside of us to get these items done and so much more. So let's try for at least one new post from everyone each week. Share something, anything! You can never know how something you posted will help someone else.

Ladies, currently, we have the highest percentage of obesity of all races. I don't want to keep hearing those facts and keep being reminded of those facts. I hope no one else does either. So, let's turn that percentage around, so that we have a higher percentage of healthy AA women in the USA! Let's celebrate more than the Nation's independence this month! Let's celebrate our healthy independence!
  • Kenyaroja
    Kenyaroja Posts: 10
    Options
    Well, I will definitely have to get back on the horse after all of these cookouts lol!!!
  • AndraSay65
    Options
    Ladies, I still hope you are out there! We are on the journey and we need some pit stops along the way. We need to have the support of each other to not only face the journey that lies ahead, but to make changes as we need to. I hope everyone is still out there and here is to our health; changing the percentage and transforming ourselves in the process.
  • svsl0928
    svsl0928 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Glad I came back to this post. For my first post I was 204. Now I am under 200 pounds and swinging between 193-195, Moving in the right direction. Wow! :flowerforyou:
  • AndraSay65
    Options
    Wow indeed! You give us inspiration to keep on doing what we are doing, getting healthy! Much favor as you continue on your way to being where you want and need to be. The rest of us are going to try and keep up w/you! Have a great weekend too!
  • AndraSay65
    Options
    LADIES WHERE ARE YOU? No one has posted and shared something, anything to keep our group motivated! So, I share this today. If you haven't tried the C25K app, download it and work it out...or run it out, as the app will help you get to that goal. You don't need to be training for a marthon to reap the benefits from this app. If you need someone to talk to you and help you countdown those minutes of training, this app will be for you. I am on week two and although I thought I might have to repeat week one, I didn't. It is a nice change of cardio and I may just become a jogger for life. Not a runner anymore, two lowe back ruptured discs let's me know I can do anything but I darn better know what the anything is! Enjoy your week and LADIES WHERE ARE YOU?
  • AndraSay65
    Options
    Still don't see any ladies posting this week. That's okay, I'll still post a little sumn, sumn! I know someone will eventually be posting. Week 3 of C25K, really enjoying the app. Doing more jogging now and hoping to be jogging the entire time by the end of the training. I still recommend anyone who wants some variety in their cardio workouts or wants to train for a run or marathon to download this app and get going. You will be happy that you did!

On to next week.
  • BellaGettinFit
    BellaGettinFit Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    where everybody at??
  • Truegoddess22
    Truegoddess22 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hey ladis. I got sidetracked with life and I haven't logged on in about 2 months. Consistency and motivation are my biggest downfalls. I'm still working on it though. I'm trying to get back on the bandwagon and figure out which way I need to go.
  • cherrikim
    Options
    I'm here after falling off for about 3 months. I just started a 12 week challenge so I decided to update MFP. I'm trying to use my blog at least 3 days a week, walking 1/2 hour a day, drinking 12 cups of water & not eating out. So far I'm only up to 8 cups of water & I ate out once this week. I've been completing everything else as planned.

I hope everyone is on the right track & doing great. I can't believe there's only 2 weeks left to September & we started this thread in January. I weight 5 lbs more than I did at the beginning of the year. :-(