New and Looking for New Friends and Support

Options
Hello!

I'm 28 and am looking to take my health back. I need to drastically change my diet and habits and lose weight, so here I am, armed with my FitBit (well, after Christmas, anyway!!!) and ready to get the ball rolling! I'm hoping to start a good net of support for myself on the days when I'm doing well and to encourage me on the days when I'm not. I'm likewise looking to do the same for my new "friends" :)

Replies

• bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hi rheannaraye!

A warm welcome to this support group. Congrats on your decision in taking an active roll in health. You have a great attitude and seem to have a great plan and wonderful goals for your success already mapped out too. Awesome!

This is a great support group with many people eager to share their experiences.

In maintenance now after meeting and exceeding my weight loss goals, this program has changed my life, and has afforded me the opportunity to reduce my diabetes medication significantly since my join date.

Wishing great success too!

Good luck!
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I'd like to welcome you as well, rheannaraye. You're wise to take this on and make a difference in your life. You have the right idea...healthy eating and exercise can make a big difference with T2 diabetes. You'll find a lot of support and good discussion here and I wish you all the best.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    It's great to hear that you're doing so well and feel so positive about the changes you've made bdubya55! ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • shortlink
    Options
    Great to work on dieting at the same time! I just started last November and I have lost 15lbs. This is the place to do it :)
  • rheannaraye
    rheannaraye Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!!! I've been really starting to watch my food consumption, and have definitely had some eye openers- wow, that was HOW bad to eat? haha. I think it's great that FitnessPal syncs with so many other apps and programs and things as well, and I feel like I can get a FULL look at what I'm doing. Here's hoping it rolls into the new year and I don't lose steam!!!
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    Its great that you're learning more about food and how different foods react in your body. The more knowledge we have, the more informed choices we make, right? ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • fraklein
    fraklein Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard! Glad you've joined us in our journeys toward a better life. The mutual support here is really wonderful.

I've been here for just over two months, and I can't imagine managing my diet without this. I started on a low carb diet by reading Blood Sugar 101 and joining the Diabetes Forum. I have been scrupulous in planning and logging my meals, and keeping my carbs under 60 grams per day. The payoff is a 30 point reduction in average BG level. I have arthritis, so I have to exercise gently. Keeping the carbs low lessens the need for lots of intense exercise, though I find that even the smallest amount of exercise elevates my mood and contributes to lowering my blood pressure.

I've been weaning myself off wheat and gluten, and have found that my allergies have started going away. Haven't need a Benadryl in a week. Best side effect ever.

Good luck to you, Rheanna!

Frances
  • rheannaraye
    rheannaraye Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all, for such a warm welcome! I'm armed, and ready!
    I have been collecting low carb recipes, been logging my meals, and embracing that this is a new life--- it's just food, after all. Why am I going to be upset about it? (Okay, I can say it, but can I walk it? haha!) This is going to be a year of changes, and I'm so psyched to see so much support and have made some new "friends" through the site already who are so beyond encouraging!!! Ya'll are absolutely wonderful!