***HELP!!! Balance Poses...UGH!!!***

Options
mwooderson
mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
For some unknown reason my balance poses have "left the building." I've been practicing yoga at studios for a couple of years. Balance poses were never a strength for me but I could get by and work on improving them. In the last few months, I can't hold anything. A basic tree or eagle pose seems to be beyond me now. What happened and are there any techniques for getting my balance back?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I've never had good balance. I keep my eyes open, and use a wall when needed.

Since this is a new problem for you, you should talk to your doctor to rule out a medical condition.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Yep, could be something new - like an inner ear thing, so I agree, you should have it checked out.
    Could be you're under stress or maybe you're not getting enough sleep.
    Could be you've forgotten how to do them - sometimes the body forgets, then when we can't do tree pose one day, there is more anxiety about it the next time.
    Has anything changed in your life? At the studio?
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    ummmmm....well....I may have found my answer.

Lack of sleep? Yes.

Lot's of stress? Yes.
  • lildancer111
    Options
    It's definitely a stress related issue if not a medical one. I know I try to do balance poses when I'm stressed out and it's just like my body is laughing at me for trying. It's just a NO GO!

I would recommend with stress focusing on your breath for a little with your poses and do some gentle yoga and once you find a calming state in that session going back to the balance poses and trying again.
  • odonogc
    odonogc Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    They'll come back, stick with it!