Question for the ladies

Options
Ok gals, I've done some online research and didn't come up with much.

So we're talking mother nature! :-) So I've always been irregular, and for those who have seen my previous posts I'm on Keto approved by my doctor due to my epilepsy. The weight loss is just an added plus :-)

Now what I've heard/found is that most women BEGIN having irregular periods upon starting Keto, and lose weight about a week BEFORE their time of month, in the form of fat, and the weight loss stops when their period begins.

Well since beginning Keto, I start my period and THEN lose weight in the form of fat. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm kicked into Ketosis and my body jumpstarts my period? ....I know this is may sound somewhat odd?

Note: My doctor believes the type of birth control I take affects my seizures positively, and the point of the Ketosis and high fat content helps my seizures...while before my Keto diet my most frequent seizure 'spats' were during the time of month :-I

I did find this blog opinion...(fyi...it's not fully Keto friendly, I'm posting it for informational...all I could find, purposes), http://gokaleo.com/2013/06/13/restriction-and-menstrual-function/

And my thyroid, vitamin levels, etc have all been checked and results = normal. Hahah. So that may blast this lady's opinion ;-P

Anyway, I KNOW nobody here is a medical professional, but my next doctor appointment isn't until February (gotta love the wait time :-P ) So I'm researching until then, starting online. (Trust me researching before the appointment is a familiar process to me).

So, all I wanna know, how has Keto impacted YOUR menstrual cycle and weight loss? Have you noticed any MAJOR changes?

Thanks guys!

Replies

• Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I am blessed with hypermenorrhea YAYYYY *sigh* :ohwell: At least 7 days of violence, of which I spare you the details, but at least 2 days I wont leave the house no matter what! I have noticed I have had some flutters in between, but since I have had them more often I didn't link them to the keto diet, could well be tho.

Yes my weight makes a drop shortly before the period and even the first 2 or 3 days, but then it stands still, just to creep a bit up again at the end.

Over all I haven't noticed any huge changes with this diet.
  • KayNowayJose
    KayNowayJose Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your response :-)
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I have only been on keto long enough to have two. The first one my pms symptoms were outrageous. The second one snuck up on me. I am curious as to what the next one will bring.
  • Wilhellmina
    Options
    I have only been on keto long enough to have two. The first one my pms symptoms were outrageous. The second one snuck up on me. I am curious as to what the next one will bring.

Ah yes indeed, the first period when starting keto I had a massive hormonal headache I remember.
  • Roze_Lintje
    Roze_Lintje Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm taking the pill because I get hormonal migraines and in that way I could plan my periods. And normally I would stop taking the pill after 2 or 3 months, and the fun would begin. But lately my period is really regular (every three weeks) while I'm still taking the pill. I haven't seen much change until the last time. No migraine! But that could also have to do with the magnesium I take, I'm not sure.

I don't weigh myself in that period because my body just acts strange and don't want to get discouraged. So I can't help you answer that one!
  • Wilhellmina
    Options
    Birth control pills differ from person to person, there are people, like me, who get even sicker whilst taking them.
  • KayNowayJose
    Options

Ah yes indeed, the first period when starting keto I had a massive hormonal headache I remember.

I too have had massive headaches before/during. And headaches are unusual for me.
  • KayNowayJose
    Options
    I'm taking the pill because I get hormonal migraines and in that way I could plan my periods. And normally I would stop taking the pill after 2 or 3 months, and the fun would begin. But lately my period is really regular (every three weeks) while I'm still taking the pill. I haven't seen much change until the last time. No migraine! But that could also have to do with the magnesium I take, I'm not sure.

I don't weigh myself in that period because my body just acts strange and don't want to get discouraged. So I can't help you answer that one!

Did you just recently begin taking the magnesium?

I only ask because magnesium is something I'm really supposed to watch, and right now I'm supplementing around 50-100mg extra (depending on how I feel that day) into my diet. But my medication...whats the best word, depletes my vitamins, so I have to make sure I'm consuming more than the average joe to keep my body "normal". I wonder if the headaches before/during my period are correlating with the magnesium.

Hmmm, off to more research!Something tells me I'll be making a phone call to my doctor's nurse soon :-P
  • Roze_Lintje
    Roze_Lintje Posts: 57 Member
    Options

I only ask because magnesium is something I'm really supposed to watch, and right now I'm supplementing around 50-100mg extra (depending on how I feel that day) into my diet. But my medication...whats the best word, depletes my vitamins, so I have to make sure I'm consuming more than the average joe to keep my body "normal". I wonder if the headaches before/during my period are correlating with the magnesium.

Hmmm, off to more research!Something tells me I'll be making a phone call to my doctor's nurse soon :-P

I started taking it about a month ago. I take 200 mg magnesium citrate a day and when I had a stressful day or if I exercised more than normally I take 400 mg. So 50-100 mg a day doesn't sound like a lot me! I did get my magnesium level tested and it was normal, but I do feel better taking some extra. The first symptoms of too much magnesium would be diarrhea and I don't have that, so I think I should be fine.

I just remembered I also did a liver detox, and I believe that could help with hormonal migraines as well! But I got that recommended by my osteopath and my doctor didn't really believe in it. But I felt better after the detox :)
  • KayNowayJose
    Options

I started taking it about a month ago. I take 200 mg magnesium citrate a day and when I had a stressful day or if I exercised more than normally I take 400 mg. So 50-100 mg a day doesn't sound like a lot me! I did get my magnesium level tested and it was normal, but I do feel better taking some extra. The first symptoms of too much magnesium would be diarrhea and I don't have that, so I think I should be fine.

I just remembered I also did a liver detox, and I believe that could help with hormonal migraines as well! But I got that recommended by my osteopath and my doctor didn't really believe in it. But I felt better after the detox :)

Thanks for sharing that :-) Some things to consider