Veggies on Keto

Options
msnucerity
msnucerity Posts: 333 Member
Hi Keto Friends!

As I get in to the swing of keto-things and snooping through other food diaries I'm seeing that not many keto peeps eat a ton of veggies (at least on the diaries I've gone through).

Pre-keto I was eating lots of veg and am accustomed to that but now that I'm really watching my carbs I'm noticing that the volume of veg I eat is really contributing to my carbs being over (not by much but I'm a stickler for numbers)

So my question for everyone is how much veg do you normally eat each day? 1 cup? 1 head/bunch? Lots? Little?

*gross question ahead* -> when you cut back on your veg do you notice any issues with going #2? (I think the fat and water consumption in keto would keep everything running smoothly but thought I'd check)

Thanks all- happy Saturday and stay warm!!! (it's a balmy minus 31 degrees C with the wind where I am)

Replies

• Roze_Lintje
    Roze_Lintje Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I try to eat 200 grams of veggies a day. I mostly eat spinach, cauliflower, broccoli or avocado (I know it's a fruit, but I count is as a veggie) I mostly eat them during dinner and I try to plan dinner the day before and enter it into my food diary. In that way I know how much carbs I have left for that day. But without doing it on purpose I have days that I eat really low in carbs and I'm thinking about upping them a little with some veggies. I think getting your carbs from veggies is the best way to go :)

I do sometimes have troubles with #2, don't know if lack of veggies causes that.
  • hernamewasdana
    Options
    I try to eat a far amount of vegetables each day. Spinach cooked in bacon fat; 2 cups raw turns into like 4 bites! A medium zucchini dipped in 2 Tbs of ranch is a great snack. Eggplant sliced thin and baked to make chips. Broccoli, green pepper, and mushrooms all make it into my stir fry rotation. Lettuce as a base for taco salad. Avocado in salad or just plain with salt.

Asparagus is a little high (1 gram per spear) so I dont have it often. But the above I eat regularly. I don't really use raw garlic that much (unless I've planned my whole day and know I have the carb allotment) because garlic powder will usually work fine. I don't have carrots (unless they are tiny in a restaurant salad so its pointless to pick out) or tomatoes (except a little salsa) because they have so much sugar.

My carbs are set at 25 and I don't feel like I have much trouble staying in my limit.

As for #2, I haven't really noticed much of a change pre- or post-keto.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I eat a fair amount of vegetables and fruits -- much more than a lot of low carb dieters I've seen but less than what I used to eat before going low carb. Looking through my diary it looks like I eat 300g - 500g of fruits and vegetables a day. I've been eating this way for over a year now and it just wouldn't be sustainable if I had to worry about adding onion & celery to my tuna fish or couldn't have beans in my chili or some fruit.

I aim to keep my carbs under 50g but I do go in and out of optimal ketosis at that level -- sometimes my ketones might only be .5 which is only light ketosis when the optimal range is supposed to be 1.5 - 3 I think. The ketone test strips are expensive though so I can't say for sure how much of the time I'm in optimal ketosis but its feels like I'm in it more often than not. I still have great appetite control, I'm able to fast/skip meals without issue and have zero bathroom problems.

My diary is open if anyone wants to take a look.
  • Daerina8
    Daerina8 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I don't really go out of my way to get veggies because you can get all the nutrients that are in veggies from meats and dairy. In fact, there are many nutrients that are in veggies but in a form that we can't digest very easily, so it works better to actually get them from meat :)

Many people try to eat veggies on keto to get fibre, but fibre is completely unnecessary as well. It is not digestible by our bodies so we don't get any added nutrients from it, and it can cause damage on it's way out such as microtears in the intestines and carrying good bacteria out with it. The only added benefit of fibre is that for some people who have elimination problems (which can be common in the early stages of keto) it can help keep them "regular", but in most cases those kinds of problems tend to pass after a couple of weeks on their own.

I do like some vegetables so I don't exactly avoid them, but if I go a day or two or three without having any veggies, it really doesn't make a difference.
  • hernamewasdana
    Options
    I don't really go out of my way to get veggies because you can get all the nutrients that are in veggies from meats and dairy. In fact, there are many nutrients that are in veggies but in a form that we can't digest very easily, so it works better to actually get them from meat :)

Many people try to eat veggies on keto to get fibre, but fibre is completely unnecessary as well. It is not digestible by our bodies so we don't get any added nutrients from it, and it can cause damage on it's way out such as microtears in the intestines and carrying good bacteria out with it. The only added benefit of fibre is that for some people who have elimination problems (which can be common in the early stages of keto) it can help keep them "regular", but in most cases those kinds of problems tend to pass after a couple of weeks on their own.

I do like some vegetables so I don't exactly avoid them, but if I go a day or two or three without having any veggies, it really doesn't make a difference.

Vitamin C has me the most curious offhand. Where would you find that in meat and dairy?
  • KayNowayJose
    KayNowayJose Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I love veggies and fruits! Sooo, although I don't have huge portions of them each sitting, I have veggies in at least two meals out of my day, and fruit most often in one of my deals a day. Without them, I could not function. It's important to remember it's about net carbs, not just carbs. So it's often about which one's you're eating too. I like cabbage, cauliflower, spinach, lettuce, celery, asparagus, broccoli, carrots, and tomatoes. I normally do strawberries and if I'm feeling frisky blackberries. It's fun to play around and make them into smoothies too! (Tonight I had one: Greek yogurt, strawberries, chocolate redi whip, almonds, unsweetened coconut flakes, chia seeds, ice, water, and dark chocolate, blend and yummm! - because I used small portions, it was a satisfying yet helped a sweettooth). I normally finish my day with around 25-40 net carbs, with people with lower goals, I'm sure they would want to cut out the three strawberries I ate for breakfast and the lemon juice I have with almost every glass of water.

For fiber, if you're worried about keeping things regular, I'd recommend Australian Grown Chia Seeds, EXACTLY that brand, I can not find any one that compares. Most other chia seeds, the carbs = the fiber, this one, there are less carbs than fiber. I just normally take a teaspoon or tablespoon and sprinkle it over chicken, beef, yogurt...whatever I feel like, because there is no real flavor, at least for me. And it gives texture. I will say though, since I randomly sprinkle it, it is difficult to track.