Keto and workouts

Options
Wilhellmina
Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
I have been on keto for a while already, but recently I really started to work out. I just noticed how ever it's hard to hold on to, like I got less energy with this diet. I already tried to take afterwards whey protein with half a teaspoon of raw honey, but is there something I could take before to get a bit more energy before working out?

Replies

• LBeth1015
    LBeth1015 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time sometimes also getting though my workouts. I've started taking a supplement called cardio cuts. It's a powder you put in water which I'm sure is just full of cafeine, but gives me the energy I need to get through c25k and 30 minutes of circuit training or weight lifting.
    I've noticed there aren't many questions about not having energy when working out on this board and I'm wondering if that is because a lot of people don't have to work out very much on keto to keep seeing results?
    I know I prefer to do both and sometimes my energy level can get pretty low, that's why I went to the supplement.

Edited to add it's also only 10 cal, 1 carb and 1 gram of fat for 1 scoop.
  • DehydrationStation
    Options
    Energy levels are probably dependant on whether your body is keto-adapted or not. If you've done six weeks or less on the keto diet, you're probably still in 'keto flu' mode. During this time, working out is going to take some extra grit.

Oh, and... be careful with eating honey. Half a teaspoon may only have 9 carbs, but it might still kick you right out of keto.
  • Wilhellmina
    Options
    I have no idea actually. Someone else must work out as well I would think? Unfortunately caffeine is out of the question for me, I cn't have it. It's giving me massive anxiety and panic attacks. Maybe most of the daily carb intake around the exercise could help?
  • Wilhellmina
    Options
    A MFP friend pointed out my calorie intake is on the low side. I admit (silly as I can be :blushing: ) when I started at MFP I wasn't so very active. Now I sport about every day, but totally forgot to adjust my food diary to it, eating sometimes well over 1000 calories less then suggested. So first I am going to try in increase my calorie intake and see if it goes better that way.
  • LBeth1015
    LBeth1015 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Having most of your carbs before your workout might help as well. You also might want to try a B-12 supplement for extra energy. I know the exercise itself helps. I find about 10-15 into my workout I usually get a spike in energy. It's just pushing through those first 10-15 minutes that can be exhausting sometimes!
  • DehydrationStation
    Options
    Have you calculated your macros over at http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com ?

I have an alarm set for me to adjust them monthly, based on activity and weight changes.
  • Wilhellmina
    Options
    1800 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
    40 g Carbohydrates (9%, 160 kcal)
    100 g Protein (22%, 400 kcal)
    138 g Fat (69%, 1240 kcal)

and my diary is set to 1700, which is below that already and worst of all is that I barely eat more then 1500, mostly below. I really have to change that!
  • dandyforman
    Options
    I've found that upping my protein by 10g for every 30 mins of exercise helps with energy and motivation. It really helps afterwards, when I am prone to "workout fatigue" =)
  • DehydrationStation
    Options
    I'm no keto expert, but those ratios don't look right.

Usually, you want to aim for 65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs.

Forzample, my current numbers are:

1703 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
    22g Carbohydrates (5%, 88 kcal)
    130g Protein (31%, 520 kcal)
    122g Fat (64%, 1095 kcal)

You can be off by a little in your induction phase, but 40g of carbs a day may be slowing (or even preventing) your entry into keto. Usually below 25g is where you want to start.

EDIT: Just glanced through your Food Diary.
    You have your daily carbs set at 69 g.! Yikes!
    Luckily, you don't seem to be hitting that too often, but reconsider your ratios.
  • Wilhellmina
    Options
    Dehydration St. I have had my carbs to 5%, but it didn't become me too well, maybe just because my over all calorie intake was too low? After all 5% of 1200/1300 is not really something to talk about. Maybe when my calorie intake goes up 5% will be okay to try again.

Dandy, indeed I have noticed adding more protein to my diet, which was also quite low did make an improvement. I have been listening to a podcast about people having difficulties losing weight and they suggested to eat around 40 gram of protein for break fast. At least that was a huge improvement!
  • KayNowayJose
    KayNowayJose Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'd say try Chia seeds and increase water intake. This helps me tremendously with energy. And if you get the right Chia seeds there can be more fiber than carbs, so that is a plus. I use Australian grown.

I can have some in the morning/afternoon and see so much energy. It has made such a difference for me.
  • DehydrationStation
    Options
    I have had my carbs to 5%, but it didn't become me too well, maybe just because my over all calorie intake was too low?

From the numbers you posted, 1800 kcal isn't "too low".

1200 kcal, especially if you're working out regularly, definitely is. But I don't know where the 1200 came from.

Maybe we have different goals, and that's okay, but 5% carbs doesn't "become me to well" either. :happy: But, on a practical level, unless you pound your carbs that low (at least to start), you'll just be in a perpetual 'keto flu' state, which is going to be pretty discouraging over the long term.
  • mkroyer28
    Options
    Have you tried eating more FAT before your workout? I do a bulletproof coffee every single morning before i train (crossfit/olympic lifting) and i started hitting PRs from the first day i did that.

I think the MCT oil (medium chain triglycerides) is the key though-- the really fast digesting fat
  • Wilhellmina
    Options
    I have had my carbs to 5%, but it didn't become me too well, maybe just because my over all calorie intake was too low?

From the numbers you posted, 1800 kcal isn't "too low".

1200 kcal, especially if you're working out regularly, definitely is. But I don't know where the 1200 came from.

Maybe we have different goals, and that's okay, but 5% carbs doesn't "become me to well" either. :happy: But, on a practical level, unless you pound your carbs that low (at least to start), you'll just be in a perpetual 'keto flu' state, which is going to be pretty discouraging over the long term.

I just increased my calorie intake, just about an hour ago or so. Last week I increased a wee bit already to around 1400, but if you look at my diary from before it was really below 1200 at some days, about anything between 1100 to around 1400 and I must admit that I also didn't always eat everything I wrote down :blushing: Maybe it's silly I even wondered, but I guess I was just to focused on carbs and exercise I totally overlooked the real problem, it's just so difficult for me to eat properly *sigh* Thanks for looking over my shoulder, that was a huge help!

And yes oddly enough I have set my carbs to 10%, but I rarely go over 5% anyway. I guess I'm just a wee bit goofy :bigsmile: