Bilateral Breathing--Question on Form

Options
GGDaddy
GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
I typically swim 1800 meters at a 68-74 sec/lap pace. The flipturns have been working out well--thanks again everyone for the excellent advice on those.

For the past week or so, I've started to add bilateral breathing. Last time out I started getting into the groove, and I noticed my shoulders rotating around my spine with each stroke--left shoulder high when right arm pushes through water and vice-versa. My body is still in the water and aimed forward, but the shoulders were rotating around the axis defined by my stable spine.

Is this a step in the right direction, or unnecessary/wasted movement? I watched a YouTube video that seemed to have the shoulder rotation, but thought I'd check in to ask you all before making it a habit through repetition...

Thanks for any thoughts you might have!

Replies

• Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Some shoulder rotation is natural & ok, you just don't want to be turning too far. If you're turning your face all the way toward the ceiling or sky to breathe you're turning too far, think about turning your chin to your shoulder to breathe - that's more than far enough to get enough breath & it doesn't turn you too far. If you're turning too far you'll feel your momentum turning out to the sides instead of driving forward. Your shoulders need to rotate some in order for your stroke to reach out toward the wall you are heading to. You'll definitely feel it if you rotate too much, you'll feel yourself going too far side to side.........
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Very helpful Mac, thanks!!
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    You're very welcome. That image of an axis is a good one to keep in mind, this will keep you turning properly. You don't want to feel your head moving to the left or right when you turn to breathe, you want it turning around that axis...........
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    When I started swimming distances longer than a mile, I forced myself to learn to breathe from both sides.
    It felt very unnatural for the first 100 or so miles. But now it feels the same for both sides.
    Sometimes you can teach an old dog a new trick. :bigsmile: