Hi, very new to this, veterans, help

Options
dreja89
dreja89 Posts: 18 Member
Right, I'm doing the LCHF - I hope I've joined the right group!
Half way through the first week and since for the last year or two I've pretty much lived on pasta & pizza, I have heartburn, a slight headache and my tummy feels a bit strange. Is this normal, and if so, any remedies to calm it down a bit? Am drinking loads of water :)
Thanks people!

Replies

• EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    It is absolutely normal. In fact, what you're describing is exactly what happened to me my first time into ketosis. You have a touch of the "Atkins flu", and while it absolutely sucks, it will pass in a nother day or two. By day seven, you will feel stronger, more focused, and won't have the 2pm/5pm "crash". Keep the faith, you are almost entirely through the hard part... Be well, be safe, Merry X-Mas!
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Make sure you supplement your electrolytes.

From "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living"

Low carb diets are natriuretic - they make the kidneys dump sodium. Sodium deficiency can cause headache, dizziness and fatigue. With continued low carb intake and sodium restriction, at some point your kidneys start to excrete potassium in order to conserve sodium. Potassium deficiency can lead to muscle cramps, cardiac dysrythmia. it can also cause the body to lose muscle, even when there's plenty of protein in the diet.

On keto, we should consume 3-5 g sodium per day. Broth is the easiest solution.
  • dreja89
    dreja89 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    thank you guys - i literally know nothing about this diet other than what a friend wrote down for me the other day and what i've heard, so i wasn't sure if those symptoms were normal or if i was dying of scurvy.
    very reassured now, will go and follow your advice.
    thanks!