• Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    :heart: :heart:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Nice 20k post!!!

I'm surprised that the recommendation went above the usual 1g/lb-LBM. Would you consider this only important for individuals with lower amounts of body fat, or could someone >25% bf benefit from this as well?

There was no definitive findings, however, based on what came out of the review, any possible benefits would be individual and not necessarily related to body composition - i.e. performance/adherence. Note also the caveat that too high of a protein intake could be detrimental to body composition if it displaces too much of the other macros. Carbs re energy and fats re hormones can impact performance (and testosterone) and therefore the intake for these also needs to be considered when looking at the diet as a whole. Nothing indicates that a higher amount of protein would benefit men who have a BF% over 25% from a muscle protein synthesis perspective, but more more studies with a larger sample and fewer limitations would be needed for a more definitive answer.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    In. OP I have a lot of skills let me know if you would like me to put them to use.

I can think of a few skills I would be interested in ....just make sure you wear THE SHIRT.

However....DYEL?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    In. OP I have a lot of skills let me know if you would like me to put them to use.

I can think of a few skills I would be interested in ....just make sure you wear THE SHIRT.

However....DYEL?

tumblr_m6pg4nnwop1qzxdg8.gif
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    :drinker:

^^^^^^ those are protein shakes. just so there's no confusion.

You sure they aren't these kinds of shakes?

47603-kristen-wiig-shake-weight-gif-XkcU.gif
  • paprad
    paprad Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Thanks Sara, that was great

One question. You said
    At least 1g/lb/lbm for people with ‘average’ body fat, more when leaner, less when overweight/obese

Would average/overweight/obese be per BMI recommendations? Or are there BodyFat cutoffs for estimating when one is overweight versus obese?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Thanks Sara, that was great

One question. You said
    At least 1g/lb/lbm for people with ‘average’ body fat, more when leaner, less when overweight/obese

Would average/overweight/obese be per BMI recommendations? Or are there BodyFat cutoffs for estimating when one is overweight versus obese?

BMI is not relevant. You will find a few definitions of what is overweight (or overfat) from a BF%, but generally, and for the purposes of looking to whether less than 1g/lb/lbm of protein is sufficient, about 35% for females and about 25% for men.
  • paprad
    Options
    Thanks Sara. So if I'm a woman at 35%BF then it's okay to have a little less than 1g per LBM as protein, yes?

At what BF is a woman not overfat, when it would become important to ensure the 1gm/lb LBM then? Around 30% or even less?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Thanks Sara. So if I'm a woman at 35%BF then it's okay to have a little less than 1g per LBM as protein, yes?

At what BF is a woman not overfat, when it would become important to ensure the 1gm/lb LBM then? Around 30% or even less?

If you are over 35%, I would think it ok (remember, there were no absolutes or conclusions). At less than 35% I would recommend the 1g/lb/lbm.
  • paprad
    Options
    Thanks, Sara, that is so useful to know