Lifting heavy without gaining or losing

Options
Pmagnanifit
Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
This is probably a silly question but if a person maintains the same weight while lifting heavy for one year will they a gain muscle b lose fat c a little of both? I have had the same weight all year while lifting 2-3 x week and swimming 1-2 x a week. I see a little more definition especially in my back but really little change in measurements or weight.
I've been eating more over the holidays and lifting heavier so bulking cutting is attractive but scary for someone who has weighed the same healthy weight for twenty years

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If you are maintaining weight it is possible to be losing some fat and gaining some muscle through a process called recomping. However, if you measurements are not changing then this is likely not happening and you are maintaining your BF and LBM.

What lifting routine are you doing? Have your lifts been going up?
  • Pmagnanifit
    Options
    I am doing NROLW and I have 2 stages left. My lifts generally are progressing. All the lifts that involved balancing on one leg were very challenging- and at times I felt held back by balance not strength. I have a health problem with myofascial pelvic pain so there are times when I have had pain and not "pushed it"- but the pain generally has been better treated and improved greatly in the past six weeks. It mostly affects my abduction. I am generally increasing the main compound lifts by 5-10 lbs every week.
    My main lifts have progressed a lot. I'd appreciate if you have any advice about which program to try next. I am 5' 2" and I have been about 108-109 for many years, regardless of activity level. I have never weight trained seriously until this year, but ten years ago ran long distance and four years ago more cycling. I have been more active for the last year than in the last 2-3 years, and i expected more changes with a year's work! I "think" I ate well before and probably eat more now than one year ago. While I would not mind losing fat/ looking better, I am mostly interested in strength and would like some general advice on a new program and cosnidering bulking/cutting vs. maintaining.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Options
    Since I am asking for advice I will go ahead and answer the questions
    height 5 2in, weight 108 lb,age 41, don't know bodyfat
    current cals 1500 ( more over the holiday) ( I started at 1300 but felt bad)
    macros164 carbs, 49 fat, 91 protein
    I use a food scale intermittently, but I eat lunch in the work cafeteria so those are estimates
    I track everything(occasionally miss olive oil for sautee, etc but try to guesstimate or increase on a already logged fat like butter)
    I don't take cheat days- I do eat more when I exercise more
    I have "lost" 2 lbs in the past year
    My nonexercise activity is more than sedentary- I walk a bit at work at times 5-6,000 steps, most days less 4,000.
    Exercise is weighttraining 2-3 x a week following NROLW, and swimming 30 min 1-2 a week. In the past month I have tended to swim only 1x a week, but had more activity with HIIT after lifting so it probably all evens out
    I am not breastfeeding / no thyroid issues

I would like advice on a program after NROLW and if I should just continue at this nutrition
    Thanks
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you are making progress. Your lifts are going up, you are seeing minor changes in body composition and your body weight has remained relatively stable.

Are you satisfied with the rate at which your lifts are improving?
  • Pmagnanifit
    Options
    Yes I am happy with my lifts they are progressing except bench press. I am wondering what program to try next.
    Thanks
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I just started New a Rules of Lifting Supercharged. I like it because you can chose your exercises and design your own program so if you can't do a certain lift, chose a different one. You can tailor it for your needs.