Options
likitisplit
likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
What are your goals for January?

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    -Continue working on my 2nd half marathon plan.
    -50+ miles ran this month.
    -Volunteer for at least one run this month.
    -Make it through my two off road races injury free.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Hit 100 miles for the month (first time ever)
    Run the Hot Chocolate 15K with my wife
    Complete my first of a series of 8 trail races (points series like NASCAR)
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I'm in my off season (there's probably a better word for that) so mostly I'm just trying to maintain. My half training will start in March.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    You are all so dedicated! Your progress this year is astounding.

My goal is to continue to maintain (weekdays) and train for 10K (weekends).
    It takes longer this way but my weekdays are so busy that I don't have that extra time to go longer running distances. I'm using my weekdays for interval (speed) training and maintaining 5-6Km of running at a stretch.
    My progress is slower than most of yours but my dedication never wavers. :drinker:
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Well December (swimming month) is over, so reduce the swimming, but plan at least once a week:

- Monday: water aerobics & swim & yoga
    - Tuesday teach puppy kindergarten (run and/or strength train if I can fit it in)
    - Wednesday kettleball class
    - Thursday (water aerobic & swim OR dog class) & yoga
    - Friday run & strength train
    - Saturday water aerobics & swim or dog event
    - Sunday run & yoga
  • candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options
    I'm training for a 10k mid-late Feb.

5km Mondays (hills & sprints)
    7km Wednesdays
    10km Fridays
    easy 5km over the weekend.

Aiming for 100km for the month.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    December was a bit of a washout fitness and food wise, but I am looking forward to getting back into a routine in January.

Continue my 10k training.
    Do more stretching/exercises for my knees.
    Restart weightlifting routine.
    Do more cross training.
    Eat healthier.
  • likitisplit
    Options

7km Wednesdays
    10km Fridays

Awesome goals! I don't remember seeing you around...were you a member of the original team?
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    1-Get this leg business over with!
    2-Build back to my mid-November status - 8 mile long run and target 15+ miles a week. Begin HM training in earnest.
    3-Get back on track with my calorie goals/weight loss.
    4-Find a way to strike a balance between work, my neglected household and my running goals. ;-)
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    Hey all!!! Sorry that i have been absent, but just got back from taking the family to Cozumel for a couple of weeks.. thought I wouldn't get to run, however, they do an Ironman over there and there was a 5k course right in front of the resort. so, that was awesome. Anyway, january goals are to get back to tracking and increasing mileage, I want a long run of 12 miles by the end of the month and continue training for a 25k on Feb 15th.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Using my training log at RunningAHEAD, I found I've been doing an average of 90Km of walking/running per month. For 2014, I'd like to increase this to 100Km per month and separate my walking and running distances. My goal for this it to run 80% or more of the distance that I travel each month.

So, for January, my aim is to walk/run 100Km (or more), with 80Km of that being running. Have to say that I don't know if this is a reasonable goal.
  • candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options

7km Wednesdays
    10km Fridays

Awesome goals! I don't remember seeing you around...were you a member of the original team?

Nope, I'm a recent c25k graduate who is now doing my own version of 10k training. I want to run 10km in under an hour by the end of the year, I can currently do 5k in 29m so I should get there!

Nice to meet you all.
  • solardippo
    solardippo Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Nope, I'm a recent c25k graduate who is now doing my own version of 10k training. I want to run 10km in under an hour by the end of the year, I can currently do 5k in 29m so I should get there!

Nice to meet you all.

Hello Candice!

January goals are:

- Out minimum 3x a week for 5K+
    - With a long run of 8 miles/13K once a week gradually building.
    - Hopefully adding up to 65 miles to beat my December total.
    - Hello hills! I will tackle you in a structured way again!
    - Parkrun sub 30 minutes... I have done it once, and need to prove it was not a fluke. On the mountainous course of doom no less...
    - Find some 5 and 10k local runs for the spring to work towards
    - Calm my eating... 4lbs off this month would be great, but I need to try to stop evening binges...
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Hey all!!! Sorry that i have been absent, but just got back from taking the family to Cozumel for a couple of weeks.. thought I wouldn't get to run, however, they do an Ironman over there and there was a 5k course right in front of the resort. so, that was awesome. Anyway, january goals are to get back to tracking and increasing mileage, I want a long run of 12 miles by the end of the month and continue training for a 25k on Feb 15th.

Love that! I was SO disappointed when I found out that the Disney Cruises have a 5k on their island in the morning...and I hadn't even packed my shoes :(
  • likitisplit
    Options

7km Wednesdays
    10km Fridays

Nice to meet you all.

Well, welcome!

The rule of thumb is that you should be increasing your weekly mileage by no more than 10% a week and that speedwork should be no more than 10% of your mileage a week (so if you're doing 10 miles a week, that would be a mile of speedwork...but if you are doing quarter mile sprints with quarter mile jogs in between, its more like 4 miles - one mile warm up, two miles of intervals, one mile cool-down)

Your goals (a mid-February 10k and under an hour by the end of the year) are very achievable. The free SmartCoach app at Runners World can help you figure out a safe build.

https://member.rodale.com/cas/login?service=http://smartcoach.runnersworld.com/smartcoach/j_acegi_cas_security_check&returnUrl=http://smartcoach.runnersworld.com/smartcoach/my_plan.jsp
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I was putting off setting goals because I've sucked through November and December, but I just joined Jantastic and committed to three runs a week (at least a mile) through January. I can do that.

I really need to do cross training - at least for my core and stabilizers - and get back into the habit of stretching, but I'm not going to create a goal around that yet.
  • joedfro
    Options

Love that! I was SO disappointed when I found out that the Disney Cruises have a 5k on their island in the morning...and I hadn't even packed my shoes :(

omigosh...after this last vacation, I decided there is always room for a pair of running shoes! On a side note, it felt really good being one of the fittest people on the beach, I hate to sound superficial and weirdish, but it was nice walking and beaching and not being self conscious about my gut.

Also, it was very easy to identify other runners, mostly by their shoes, and again by seeing them on the trail before daylight.

Another cool thing was seeing GPS tracks for runs and shopping.
  • Rindy12
    Rindy12 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My main goal this month is to conquer the treadmill. It will never be my friend, but I can't let it beat me. There are going to be days that are too cold/icy to run outside, so I have to find a way to deal with the treadmill. I need to keep in mind that this is temporary and that spring is coming.

I'm continuing my 15k training but won't finish that until February 1st.

I'm meeting up with the running group on Saturday, it's supposed to be a balmy 29 degrees. It will be fun to run with them once a week. It sounds like several from the running group are going to take the train into Chicago the following Saturday for the Polar Dash. It's gonna be nice to go with a group.

The Polar Dash will be my first 10k. Since December was a bit messed up with my training I'm not looking for any time goal. I'll work on that next time around.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options

I will never leave my running shoes behind again! Where I go, they go! ;-)

Joedfro, I am jealous! Love your new profile pic!
  • joedfro
    Options
    THANK YOU BTTR....Umm, once i figure out how to crop, I can show you guys what 50lbs off looks like if your uinterested in that sort of thing...the before photo is the very photo that literally caused me to get off my *kitten* and do something.