Back on Medifast, getting prepared for hip surgery

Options
Hi All,
I started the Take Shape for Life (Medifast) in 2011 and was successful with it in losing 50lbs. I was very active, exercising consistently and I like to be active. I had gained a lot of weight between 2005 and 2011 due to many orthopedic surgeries, including both rotator cuffs and knee surgeries due to arthritis. I never lost much weight during that time even though I exercised due to the amount of food I was eating.

I kept most of it off over the past few years, but am now 15lbs higher than I want to be. What's more is I now have a hip labral tear surgery coming up in early January. I started again on December 26th knowing that I wanted to get off as much as possible before the surgery. I feel like I can recover faster and be stronger without the excess weight.

My question is around using the 5 & 1 plan after surgery. I am not looking to lose weight right after the surgery but not wanting to gain either. My health coach is telling me I should be at 1500 calories after the surgery, adding in more carbs etc. I think even that is too high for being very sedentary during that time. I will be on crutches at least 15 days and in a brace. I want to heal quickly and do what is right for my body to heal.

Has anyone had any experience with using this program after a surgery?

Pat

Replies

• MCLA4mom
    MCLA4mom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have experience coaching clients after surgery. What your coach told you is right on. I tend to be a little conservative with the amount of calories for sedentary people. There is a way to calculate it yourself. Its in the Habits Of Health, You won't be recovering for too long and your body needs the calories. Just make sure they are VERY HEALTHY calories. Lots of veggies and lean protein. Maybe go light on the carbs. You can also call nutrition support for their take on it. You can still be practicing all of the other habits of health. Drink your water, get rest, etc.

Hope this helps.