Day 1

Options
RonnieLodge
RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
Hey, I live in one of the first places of the world to see 2014. :wink:

I celebrated the new year with a bottle of wine and vodka at my friend's place, was in bed by 1am and decided to get started on Insanity today.

The Fit Test - I actually did this yesterday (31Dec13). I had to stop to dry retch a couple of times.
So glad that I work out before eating anything in the morning. I also had to stop to lie on the floor and pant for a bit. A few times. I did it in the morning and my calves tightened up during the day so I went for walks and stretched them some more.

Plyometric Cardio Circuit - I was literally DRIPPING sweat by the end of the warm up. I found it pretty hard going on my calves that were still pretty tight & sore from the fit test.
So some of the jump moves (Power squats) I just did a normal squat. Push ups I ended up doing on my knees a lot of the time.
But I kept moving as much as possible.

They weren't kidding calling this Insanity. But there is the nice post workout high afterwards!

How did your first day go?

Replies

• d3ck5
    d3ck5 Posts: 47
    Options
    my day 1 was pretty good

fit test results
    switch kicks 150
    power jacks 65
    power knees 125
    power jumps 35
    globe jumps 12
    suicides 19
    push jacks 31
    low planks 73

huge caveat! this is NOT my first fitness test, rather a better indication of what you can expect on your LAST fitness test of Insanity. I finished my first round of Insanity mid December and have been repeating stage 2 workouts till the new year.

And you think, by doing this (repeating the second stage workouts) that the first stage workouts would be a breeze right? WRONG! First workout of Insanity after the Fit Test still kicked my *kitten*. I didn't burn as many calories, but i still struggled on the latter stages of the second workout.

and i friggen loved it!

couple tips ive learn from my first round of insanity.
    * buy headbands. lots of them. especially if you sweat a lot and workout on polished timber floorboards. there's nothing more distracting, and potentially more dangerous than invisible sweat on your timber floors that will cause you to slip and strain muscles. ive almost injured myself a couple of times because of this. headbands have helped. i still sweat a lot, but it doesnt drip on the floor anywhere near as often.

* guys get sports shorts that are above the knee.

* i have the wrong footwear (running shoes) and have some minimal trainers in the post (new balance 20v3) and i find it helps to do the jumping exercises on a rug. workout mats tend to move around and provide a little too much cushion (pending thickness) but i find the rug a perfect solution.

good luck to anyway starting Insanity. take it from someone who's just finished his first round (and had excellent results), you wont regret it, stay focused, and more importantly, DO NOT use weight lost as a metric. Use sizes dropped, inches / cm lost, and the comments that people will tell you on how good you look. resist weighing yourself everyday. its counter productive and demoralising. in most cases Insanity first timers dont see weight loss till the beginning of the second stage. but by then you wouldve dropped a stack of inches.

to help your cause, stick to a good diet and use the MFP app. it rocks!
  • kristiealexander76
    kristiealexander76 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Done. I did Insanity two years ago and I know that today was an easy day in comparison to tomorrow. So, I am full of fear. I'm beat and will post the numbers shortly.

Great Job to you both BTW!

Kristie
  • kristiealexander76
    Options
    D3,
    I would love to hear about your results. When I did Insanity a while back I didnt have a lot of weight loss but my body changed - drastically. What did you experience?
  • squid1979
    squid1979 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    OK, here are the results from my first fit test:

Switch Kicks 103
    Power Jacks 46
    Power Knees 80
    Power Jumps 31
    Globe Jumps 25
    Suicide Jumps 13
    Push-Up Jacks 30
    Low Plank Oblique 53

I burnt about 530 calories doing the test, with a maximum heart rate of 186. It was really hot yesterday, so I wasn't able to push to 100%, and I had to pause the video a couple times.

Good advice on the headbands. I found myself sweating a lot, and sweat dripping from the nose or into the eyes is distracting :)

I was originally planning to follow the Insanity nutrition guide, but my diet is pretty good anyway, so I'll just adjust my macros to 40% carbs, 40% protein, and 20% fat.
  • d3ck5
    Options
    D3,
    I would love to hear about your results. When I did Insanity a while back I didnt have a lot of weight loss but my body changed - drastically. What did you experience?

lost about over 9kgs.
    dropped from a 36 pants size to a 32-33ish
    lost quite a lot around my face and neck (looking at the before pics on my iphone are a good wake up call).

ive weighed less before, but my cardio was no where near this good.

so far Im still sweating it out, but finding my HRs are less and less which means Im conditioning well.

I have a goal to lose another 5-7kgs by the end of the second round, so ill try and work harder (most likely impossible) and eat better (entirely possible).

down side is having to buy all new clothes. which for some men (including me) is a huge hassle :)
  • Soritaia
    Soritaia Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    first time doing the fittest today and it kicked my *kitten*. I had to take a break half way through because i was about to puke on my floor.

results (didtnt write down the exercise names so just numbers
    1-60
    2-30
    3-65
    4--38
    5-6
    6-13
    7-16
    8-40 total or 20 each leg
  • lbryant79
    lbryant79 Posts: 100
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone, as you know I'm incapacitated at the minute, Kara (kcrow4102) has kindly offered to help with the insanity group, so she will be running it, hope to be fit if you do another one march time, big maybe as might be too soon, we'll see. I will still be popping in to see how everyone is doing though, good luck x
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Everybody!!! I have did my fit test on Decebmer 31st.. I will be posting my results once I get back home since I left them there... Yesterday Jan 1st I did Plyometric Cardio Circuit(day 2)..
  • d3ck5
    Options
    first time doing the fittest today and it kicked my *kitten*. I had to take a break half way through because i was about to puke on my floor.

you know, as hard as insanity is (and it is very bloody well hard) the fitness tests I find the most "painful" and the only workout i dread.

even though they are the shortest, and I burn the least calories, I would much rather struggle for an hour, burn closer to 1k in cals, than to do those damned fitness tests.

puke worthy indeed!
  • Soritaia
    Options
    yes indeed
    then there is the fear of the results you will get X.X

i did the first day today and to be honest i had to take a lot of breaks. I'm still really sore though.
    do you have any suggestions on how to deal with muscle soreness or is it just tough it through the warmup tomorrow and hope to god the stiffness gets better?
  • RonnieLodge
    Options
    yes indeed
    then there is the fear of the results you will get X.X

i did the first day today and to be honest i had to take a lot of breaks. I'm still really sore though.
    do you have any suggestions on how to deal with muscle soreness or is it just tough it through the warmup tomorrow and hope to god the stiffness gets better?

Am up to day 5 and am finding myself still quite sore - hurting in places that haven't hurt for a while! Calves, shoulders, back & core.

Last night I was rubbing Volatren gel into my calves - they are the worse and they keep tightening up so I have to stretch them out about 10x a day.

I did the Cardio Recovery workout yesterday - lots of stretching and some vicious core work so it feels as if I have been hit in the obliques with a metal pole today.

Am already plotting to get a proper massage and hot baths with epsom salts!
  • RonnieLodge
    Options
    Okay, I have finished the Day 5/ Pure Cardio.

By the end of the video EVERYONE looked like they were going to puke/pass out or pass out and puke.

Rivers of sweat and stretching never felt so good.

After cool down and a bit of a massage on my calves I am feeling a bit sore - a *good* sore - but still kind of like I have been beaten with a metal bar.
  • Soritaia
    Options
    steadily chugging along
    day 3 cardio power and resistance done
    is it just me or am i somehow several days behind O,O
  • squid1979
    squid1979 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 4, just about to do Cardio Recovery. I'm in Australia, so we are slightly ahead of most places.

My calves have been insanely tight, so I'm hoping the Recovery session will loosen things up a bit. I've also been doing some yoga, and a bit of extra stretching to try to help with the tightness.

I found the first three days pretty hard, but was able to complete them convincingly. I don't think I've sweated so much in my life.
  • kristiealexander76
    Options
    Did Pure Cardio and thought I was gonna die. I stopped several times during the video. But its done. Also, today I took my before photos. I did this program over a year ago and didnt take the pictures and it was my biggest regret. This time I will not make the same mistake.

Although it was painful to take the pics, to look at them, and to admit that this was my body - I know that once this is said and done I will be happy that I did it.
  • kristiealexander76
    Options
    Ronnie said I "still kind of like I have been beaten with a metal bar" after pure cardio.

This is exactly how I feel! I busted out laughing when I read this and said -" YES! Exactly."
  • d3ck5
    Options
    did pure cardio this morning!

love it!

my most favourite workout. i feel like i could do it twice, i love it that much!