2014 Fitness Resolutions?

Options
PaytraB
PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
Is anyone setting any fitness resolutions for the New Year?

I've only got a few.

I still find myself thinking that there is a good chance that I won't continue with my fitness, even though I'm enjoying the new lifestyle and keeping on track without problems. It's the old me coming through and one goal is to finally conquer that old-me voice and *knowing* that I will continue my fitness program and enjoy it.

This year, I logged 839.53 Km along the Trans Canada Trail (http://tctrail.ca/explore-the-trail/). The trail starts in Victoria, BC (on Vancouver Island) and I am currently "running" along the Okanagan Lake, just a few kilometers north of Pyramid Picnic Provincial Park. That's about half way across the province of BC. At the end of next year, I plan on being in Alberta; the next province east of BC. The trail isn't linear, it meanders north and south as well as east, but I think I can make it.

My monthly run/walk totals are around 90Km/month. I plan on increasing that to 100 or more Km a month and logging my running distances separately from my walking distances, to find out what my yearly running baseline is.

By the end of this coming year, I will confidently and strongly run 10Km.

I will seriously think of entering a race in 2014. :happy: ....I think its time.

I'd like to bring my 5K time to consistently under 40 minutes. I'm achieving that very occasionally now.

Finish learning the entire tai-chi forms and know the moves confidently. Start paying very close attention to style and correct way of moving. Continue meeting with my tai-chi group and not giving it up.

Replies

• PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I very much want to run a half marathon in 2014. There is one local one that has a lottery system. Registration opens in February so I'm going to try to get in. If I can't get into that I will find another one, but I'm looking at traveling 100+ miles so then I have to factor in lodging, etc. But still I'll do it.

I'm committed with my trainer until August. I genuinely love my trainer sessions, and anticipate signing another contract once this one expires. I started it as a way to lose weight, but it didn't take long for weight lifting to become a passion of mine (just as running has). I'm hoping by August to either have transitioned from weight loss mode to maintenance mode, or at least be close to that, so I'm not sure how that will impact the next contract. Maybe switch from three 30 minute sessions a week to two 60 minute ones - actually more minutes with Jason but one fewer day. For 18 months of my life I'm booked up Monday through Thursday evenings (3 nights with Jason & Pilates one night) so I'll have to consider in August how I feel about doing that for another year. I guess my goal there is to just keep getting stronger.

There's a 5K very close to my house on the 4th of July - a 10 minute walk to the starting line. It started 3 years ago, and I've walked/jogged all 3 with my friend. Last year we committed to running it and were both going to start training in May (it snowed all the way through April). I started C25K, and once a week incorporated hills into my training runs because it's a very hilly course so I wanted to be prepared. My friend told me a week before the race that she hadn't been running at all, so we walked it again. I was very disappointed, because I had worked so hard for that. This year I am going to run that race. I hope she doesn't feel bad, but I'm letting myself be selfish about it. The first year we walked that race I thought I was going to have a heart attack walking up the final big hill (I was so winded I almost couldn't catch my breath), so to run it in a race will be a huge milestone for me. I've run it in training, and of course that was gratifying, but I want to do it in race conditions. I'm less concerned about my time than I am running the entire thing start to finish.
  • candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options
    I have 8 kgs to lose (ignore my ticker) and I want to get there by the end of March.
    For the first quarter of the year I am running a 10km mountain run, a 7km obstacle course, and a 5km fundraiser.

In the second quarter I want to train for a HM.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Well...not really any "new years" resolutions, but I do have some goals. Got my first race on Sunday...a 3K off road course....which I am hoping to come in a good place in. But going to take it a little easy, because I have a 4 mile run after that. Had to break my long run up this Sunday, but it works. So I have some running goals. My biggest one is to maintain a high mpw running goal....around 25+.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I don't really have any fitness resolutions, but I would like to lose another 3 stone this year which will hopefully improve my running. I would love to be able to run 5k in under 30 minutes and 10k in under 65 minutes by the end of the year.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I still find myself thinking that there is a good chance that I won't continue with my fitness, even though I'm enjoying the new lifestyle and keeping on track without problems. It's the old me coming through and one goal is to finally conquer that old-me voice and *knowing* that I will continue my fitness program and enjoy it.

That sounds like me. I'm always reminding myself that if/when I stop exercising I'm going to have to reduce the amount of food that I'm eating if I want to maintain my weight. I'm always prepared for the time when this strange exercising me goes back to the sedentary non-exercising me. I'm really enjoying the exercising and I really like that I'm getting stronger and fitter, but somehow, just like I keep thinking that I'm a lot heavier than I am now, I also think that this exercising is a fad that is not me.

So my resolution for 2014 is to end the year with the mindset that THIS is me. I am someone who is not obese and not even overweight any more (need to lose 10 more lbs to get out of overweight) and I am someone who regularly exercises and always will. The exercise might change as I age, but I am someone who exercises regularly and always will.

2013 was the get slimmer and start exercising year. 2014 is the improve the weight, improve the exercise, improve the mindset year. Hopefully 2015 will be the maintain the good habits year.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    rduhlir, you're right....these aren't really resolutions. They are goals for this year. I will change the title. "Goals" is a much better description.

Laura, a half-marathon is a wonderful goal. I've never had a trainer and it sounds like they are very helpful in fitness goals.

Candice, it's great that you've already entered a few races. I'm seriously thinking of racing this year......at least once.

rduhlir, what's a "mpw" goal?

2013 was the get slimmer and start exercising year. 2014 is the improve the weight, improve the exercise, improve the mindset year. Hopefully 2015 will be the maintain the good habits year.
    Wonderfully put, btsinmd! I will join you in this goal. I feel exactly that way.....just waiting for the old me to come back. This is the year to change that mindset.

shoot.....I can't edit the title of this thread.
  • solardippo
    solardippo Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Is anyone setting any fitness resolutions for the New Year?

For the year... just 1.

To not give this up.

This time next year I will still be doing this, still be loving this, and I will be running a little bit further, a little bit faster and it will be a little bit easier.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    2014K in 2014!!!

I'd like to take off another 10 pounds.

Stay uninjured.

Have Nina run in four races this year.

2:30:00 or better half marathon.
  • Rindy12
    Rindy12 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My main goal this year is to run a half marathon, actually 2 of them. The first on in July and the second one in September. My other goal is to shed the last 40-50 pounds. I've only lost 15 in the last 6 months, so clearly I need to work on eating better. As they say you can't outrun a bad diet.

Plexgut, you were asking about mpw. That's miles per week.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Not even I can. And I HAVE THE POWER. :tongue:
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Plexgut, you were asking about mpw. That's miles per week.

Thank you.
  • PaytraB
    Options

Not even I can. And I HAVE THE POWER. :tongue:

LOL!
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    This year I'm going to run in the local 10k series - usually held in May June and July. Ideally I'll run each of them in under an hour so I need to put some work into improving my time (need to shave off 6mins). It's about time I ran with some other human beings so this will be my push to actually enter a proper race!

I'm also going to work on my push ups! I'm not very good at them - I have little spurts of trying to improve then 'forget' for a few days ... sometimes weeks. So 2014 is the year when I'll be aiming to become the push up queen :)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    This year I'm going to run in the local 10k series - usually held in May June and July. Ideally I'll run each of them in under an hour so I need to put some work into improving my time (need to shave off 6mins). It's about time I ran with some other human beings so this will be my push to actually enter a proper race!

I'm also going to work on my push ups! I'm not very good at them - I have little spurts of trying to improve then 'forget' for a few days ... sometimes weeks. So 2014 is the year when I'll be aiming to become the push up queen :)

If you've never run a race, those six minutes are gone the second you pass the timing mat. Find a push-up challenge and I'll do it with you!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options

If you've never run a race, those six minutes are gone the second you pass the timing mat. Find a push-up challenge and I'll do it with you!

If I didn't add push-ups to my list of goals I should have.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    ???????????
    http://hundredpushups.com/#sthash.ruMX5pRg.dpbs

There's even a free app.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    It's almost the C25K of push-ups.