Recipes

Options
kelag297
kelag297 Posts: 103 Member
Post any healthy recipes here that you would like to share with the group. I'm sure we're all always looking for new healthy dishes to try!

Replies

• apark8
    apark8 Posts: 5
    Options
    This isn't a recipe but, I wanted to share something that I have found to be useful in curbing my appetite and making me eat better overall. Obviously fruit/vegetable smoothies are great for you and for your diet, if any of you are like me, however, you are too lazy to make your own darn smoothies! :/

About four months ago I discovered Boathouse Farms Smoothies as an alternative in my grocery store and I have not looked back! They are 100% juice and have a variety of flavors that include both fruits and vegetables, which I have never gotten enough of in my diet. They are also low fat and have a lot of great vitamins.

I find that they are totally worth it; I buy the larger 8 oz or the 64 oz (they have only a few flavors in this size at my grocery store) and substitute them for breakfast or snacks usually. They really fill me up and give me a great deal of energy, thankfully replacing all of the Redbull I used to drink.

Since I do not cook I thought this could be my contribution to the recipes section. : ) Please give this a try if you are not getting enough fruits and vegetables into your diet, it will make a difference!

Also, someone please post an easy low fat recipe that will easily be reheated because as I said I do not really cook and am quite busy so, I need something I can reheat throughout the week. Thanks!
  • forsuperA
    Options
    Thanks! I will take a look at those :)

Do you have a crock pot? Once a week I put a a couple chicken breasts in with some chicken broth (or fat free italian dressing). I cook to shred them and then stick it in the fridge. You can use it for low card quesadillas, in salads, bbq chicken sandwich, etc. I can always find something to make with shredded chicken and it doesn't feel like I am eating the same thing day in and day out.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    This is quick and easy and good to take to work with you if you take a lunch. You can also adapt this one a bit to what you might like.

1 cup cooked wild rice
    2/3 cup cooked couscous (I make whatever the smallest serving instructions are on the box - I think it's 2/3)
    1/4 cup raw cashews
    1/4 cup raisins
    seeds from 1 pomegranate

That's it - no need for dressings the juice from the pomegranate is enough - you can eat it hot or cold - I like it cold. It's tasty and filling.

I have also added pumpkin seeds and when I can't get pomegranate I use cranberries (you can get them infused with pomegranate or blueberry juice which is tasty). This is so simple you can improvise with whatever nuts or dried fruits you might have in your cupboards. I find once all the ingredients are added up I get about 4 -6 servings depending on whether I am using it as a side or an entree (sorry can't give the calorie count)

I checked the calories of the ingredients and if you make 1 cup of the coucous it's a total of 657 for the entire recipe so divide that by however many servings you make it into (4 servings is 163 per serving).
  • ashsweetie05
    Options
    If you are craving something sweet and low calorie I enjoy this. A tub of low fat cool whip, 2 fat free yogurt (usually same flavor as fruit you are getting), fruit, and mini marshmallows. Mix all together. I enjoy strawberries or raspberries the most.
  • apark8
    apark8 Posts: 5
    Options
    I do actually have a crock pot that I have yet to use! These are all really great ideas for things I can make in bulk and keep in my fridge, so I'm not tempted to go grab some fast food. :/ I'm going to give them all a go this upcoming week. Thanks!