Seriously? Help :-P

Options
KayNowayJose
KayNowayJose Posts: 138 Member
I hope I'm not the only one to have/had this problem.

I struggle to maintain/GET my daily calories. I normally feel full around 900-1100, and any thereafter. I go, 'Well, I need to eat something.' And search the kitchen while I check my MFP app to watch my macros.

Yeah, I'm kinda embarrassed to admit this. First, if you look at my diary (feel free to!) please excuse my recent New Year's fast food. This is not normal for me. And second, know that what I am eating IS what I LIKE to eat. I am NOT trying to restrict my diet to less calorie dense foods.

My energy levels HAVE gone up, like crazy since starting Keto, and I have lost weight, and as some of you may already know...I'm on this as advised by my doctor's, and I have been seizure free since. (OMG WOOT! :heart: )

I am just concerned. Because well, I've calculated my BMR @ 1450, and my TDEE at around 1994, my macros currently: carbs are @ 10%, Fat @ 65% and protein at 35%. Just increased carbs from 5-10 because I was noticing I was eating closer to that amount anyway after fiber....

I'm just concerned because I'm consistently around/below my calorie goal I've calculated on the Keto calculator where I'd already be losing around+ a pound a week. I have been looking up fat bombs on pinterest (I just joined... :embarassed: )
I'm hoping that may help? But what if it just speeds up the weight loss?

Replies

• fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I'm failing to see the problem. Sounds like you are doing fine....no?
  • KayNowayJose
    Options
    I'm concerned about how few calories I'm getting. Do you think this shouldn't be a concern?
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    If you are concerned on meeting your calorie goals in addition to your macros just add a little butter when you cook your chicken breast?

Some days I do not meet my calorie goals because I do not feel hungry and can fast unintentionally for 16 plus hours. However, I do have a day where I go over my calorie goal (like today). My goal is to make sure I meet my macros whether I am under or over calories. Because we tend to eat a diet higher in fat we tend to be satisfied with a lot less food.
  • DehydrationStation
    Options
    my macros currently: carbs are @ 10%, Fat @ 65% and protein at 35%.
    That doesn't add up to 100%. :ohwell:
    Just increased carbs from 5-10 because I was noticing I was eating closer to that amount anyway after fiber....
    LOL! You don't adjust your targets to suit your diet -- you adjust your diet to suit your targets.[/quote]

Don't worry too much about under-eating (or over-eating) at first. Fat triggers satiety. Fat is filling. Fat stays in your stomach for a while. Your body just needs to start making additional enzymes to effectively break it down. Let it do that. Don't confuse it by increasing carbs.

The macro you should always try to get within at least 30 grams of hitting is PROTEIN. If you set your macros properly, the protein target should be enough to manage maintenance, repair, muscle-building, etc. Try not to skimp on that. Stock up on beef jerky.
  • KayNowayJose
    Options
    my macros currently: carbs are @ 10%, Fat @ 65% and protein at 35%.
    That doesn't add up to 100%. :ohwell:
    Just increased carbs from 5-10 because I was noticing I was eating closer to that amount anyway after fiber....
    LOL! You don't adjust your targets to suit your diet -- you adjust your diet to suit your targets.

Don't worry too much about under-eating (or over-eating) at first. Fat triggers satiety. Fat is filling. Fat stays in your stomach for a while. Your body just needs to start making additional enzymes to effectively break it down. Let it do that. Don't confuse it by increasing carbs.

The macro you should always try to get within at least 30 grams of hitting is PROTEIN. If you set your macros properly, the protein target should be enough to manage maintenance, repair, muscle-building, etc. Try not to skimp on that. Stock up on beef jerky.
    [/quote]

Haha, I meant to say 25! Oops...

And I don't understand why the conversion from 5-10 is so funny? My MFP was previously set around 15-16 @ 5%, and I was consuming, 35-50, not including the net fiber. So I set it to 10%, now which records the 33, where I normally was starting at, and still have the fiber to take into consideration. Same results, just being portrayed more accurately.

I appreciate your advice on the beef jerky and protein comment. I did have some amazing jerky last week, but unfortunately my dogs also fell in love with it :angry: Your comment makes me wonder (because you made the muscle building comment and I've noticed what you know from your other threads...)...

....I have to watch my work out times/ amounts very intensely. My heart rate goes too high = seizure/and or 2+ hours of sleep to the day, so I have to keep it slow and steady. I have noticed that my muscles are building/tightening (abs literally strengthening...while I am not doing ab workouts :huh: ....I know...I feel insane in this post)....now, I've been on this diet for awhile now. I'm assuming this is just natural (I've lost 4% body fat thus far). I'm not sure if I'm yet Keto adapted because I did have a short period where I lost body water but I'm not sure if it was significant enough.

Do you have opinion on my ramblings?
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I get why you increased the carb percentage. I too had to learn the difference between net carbs and total carbs...I don't count fiber, and most of the carb stuff I eat is veg, which has fiber. So I just played around with the grams and % figures until I understood what my typical daily fibre input is.

I see why you may be concerned about too few calories. What you don't want to do is lower your metabolism rate, so I think you are doing the right thing by keeping your calories up to target. You are losing weight with you current strategy, so why not stick to it? Don't let your metabolism rate lower.

Not sure if this helps. Good job on your progress by the way. :drinker:
  • DehydrationStation
    Options
    Haha, I meant to say 25! Oops...
    But that's still not the tried-and-true keto ratio. Always aim for 5% carbs, 35% protein, and 60% fat. We know that one works for the vast majority of people. So why change it?
    And I don't understand why the conversion from 5-10 is so funny?
    Because it sounded like you changed it to suit what you were already eating, or wanted to eat.
    My MFP was previously set around 15-16 @ 5%
    Yes, you can never get the percentages exactly right when you edit your goals on MFP. But it has to be 5% to allow protein to be 35% and fat to be 60%.

Really, you should have your carb target burned into your consciousness anyway. :tongue:

And that target should be 25 grams, or less, unless you've been in ketosis for 9-12 weeks.
    I have to watch my work out times/ amounts very intensely. My heart rate goes too high = seizure/and or 2+ hours of sleep to the day, so I have to keep it slow and steady.
    Many keto folks don't recommend working out in the first few weeks at all. Your body is making a huge adjustment, and working out with additional weight can cause collateral damage (injury, palpitations, etc.)
    I'm not sure if I'm yet Keto adapted because I did have a short period where I lost body water but I'm not sure if it was significant enough.
    If you're eating below 25 grams of carbs consistently, water loss should happen in the first 4 or 5 days, while you're burning through your stored glucose.

If you have been in keto, again, consistently, for 8 weeks, you may be starting to keto-adapt. You can determine this by tracking your urine ketones. They will start to disappear when you're keto-adapted.