Replies

• lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Ok I am going by the library tomorrow to see if they have it available
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    I found a copy at a used book store today so I'll start it today or tomorrow.
  • jodyellen99
    Options
    Hi! I just joined MFP and I was delighted to see this group. I love to read. I have read Water for Elephants so when the discussion starts, I am happy to join in! Also, I am looking for friends on the site because I believe it will really help keep me on track! Please feel free to add me! :smile:
  • mabug01
    Options
    Welcome JodyEllen. We would love to hear from you. Keep checking in from time to time and join in when you can.
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    Hello Diamonders! welcome Jody!
    Just checking in to let you know I am going to Calif on Sat to visit my Dad in Arroyo Grande. I am on my way to the library right now to try and get that book!!
  • mabug01
    Options
    Safe trip, Lenoresaari! My Barbara Kingsolver book just got engaging so I haven't started Water yet. Let me know how the first chapter is; I might be tempted to switch! Mary
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    Thanks Mabug! The library had the book and then some. I only checked out 2.
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Welcome Jody. Have a great trip and visit with your dad, lenoresaari. Mary, I wondered how you liked the Kingsolver book. I think both books are worth reading. It is a long month, lots of time for both. I am concurrently reading, The Night Circus for my other book group. It is kind of weird but I will keep at it for a bit. This is from the kid who begged not to be taken to the circus.
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    Stepping stone what is your real name? I realize mabug is Mary and I am Lenore..........
  • steppingstones
    Options
    Hi Lenore,

Was not sure what your name was :blushing: . But nice to know. Enjoy Ca.

Mady :happy:
  • steppingstones
    Options
    Oh, no Jacob don't leave school.
  • mabug01
    Options
    Just finished Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver. It was a pretty-near perfect book for me. Biology and science wrapped up in a totally engaging story. I recommend it. Now, on to Water.
  • steppingstones
    Options
    I am so glad you liked it. It was one of my favorite reads of last year. I thought it had your name all over it. :smile:
  • mabug01
    Options
    Oh, no Jacob don't leave school.

That was only the first bad decision he made! I kept saying oh no jacob most of the way through half of the book. I guess that's what it's like to be 23 and on your own for the first time. He did start making some good decisions later. I'm finished now and it was an easy read but it seemed as if the story had only begun when it ended. ( I'm still enamored with the Kingsolver book, so anything would pale in comparison, I think. ) I don't like reading about physical cruelty; I liked the old and young angle and I liked the ending. Don't want to give too much away if you haven't finished it yet.
  • mabug01
    Options
    I am so glad you liked it. It was one of my favorite reads of last year. I thought it had your name all over it. :smile:

When it's my turn to pick, I will be choosing another Kingsolver book!
  • steppingstones
    Options
    Me too. The ending was really good but the cruelty was off-putting. August's character was quite upsetting. More later when Lenore has a chance to read the book. I hope she is just having the best vacation.
  • steppingstones
    Options

When it's my turn to pick, I will be choosing another Kingsolver book!
    [/quote

Kingsolver writes a book , I read it!!! All her books are different. This one really taps into her Biology background.

I wouldn't mind re- reading some of her earlier books.
  • steppingstones
    Options
    Diamondettes...Have you read Wild by Cheryl Strayed?
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    No I havent read Wild. Is it my month??

I finished the Jan book. Yes August was awful. I had trouble reading
    about the animal abuse on Rosie and then when they threw those men off
    the trestle. GEEZZZZ.........

Anywho. When it gets to be my turn .. I have some ideas finally. I went to the library and looked around.

I finished my book on the flight home last night and really enjoyed my trip to Calif. The water and the ocean were just
    GORGEOUS..........................

But my kittycats were so grateful, Mom was back.
  • mabug01
    Options
    Diamondettes...Have you read Wild by Cheryl Strayed?

I haven't read it and it looks really good!