Took a logging break - not a great idea

Options
jordymils
jordymils Posts: 230 Member
After my metabolism reset I spent 4 weeks logging my daily calories according to heybales spreadsheet, which put my daily requirements at 2194 calories (this puts me in a 15% deficit). In the first 2 weeks I didn't lose anything, but the second 2 weeks (actually, it was more like 10 days..) I lost 800g. At that point I decided to take a 2 week break from logging as an experiment. Constantly logging was driving me crazy and I was really finding it to be such a burden. I wanted to see if I could just listen to my body, eat when I was hungry, focus on having decent protein with every meal/snack, eat carbs around training, etc. Well, 2 weeks later I have gained 600g. I know it's not a lot, but it's still up on what I was.

The thing is, I don't really understand it. I really don't believe that I was eating more than 2194 calories, but I also don't believe that there is any other explanation for gaining weight...
The only other factor is that I went interstate to visit my sister for 2 days last weekend and they ended up being very carb-loaded days with little protein - I'm vegetarian so struggle to get enough protein away from home. But I'm pretty sure that 2 off days wouldn't account for an extra 600g across 2 weeks.

I'm planning on going back to logging properly as of Monday (weekends are tough as I'm usually not home) but just wanted to see if there are any red flags that I might be missing, that someone else could point out?

Replies

• jaeone
    jaeone Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Hi, Jordy,
    so 2194 is after you subtracted the 15%? Wow I'm jealous!! I had to google the 800g and change to lbs which =1 lb that you lost then you gained 1.3 lbs back. Is that right? I think it may be just a fluctuation in weight from water or sodium. I wouldn't worry about this. My weight fluctuates anywhere from 2-4 lbs in a week, but as long as my clothes fit the same it's no big deal.
  • jordymils
    Options
    Thanks for the reply :)
    Yep, my intake is 2194 with a 15% deficit. I do crossfit 8-10 times per week so my TDEE is around the 2500-2600 mark (can't remember exactly).
    I've just done the conversions - I lost 1.7 lb and then gained 1.3 lb back.
    I know that our bodies fluctuate a lot but I am trying to lose another 5-10kg, after losing 30kg over a year ago, so thought I was on track with the initial loss after my reset. I think I'll just go back to the annoyance of logging for a while and see if I can get back on track that way...
  • jaeone
    jaeone Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Yes, maybe you could try logging on the weekends or just during the week. But It sounds to me like you're doing great!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Honestly, 1.3lb is minimal. I've gained triple that overnight after a high sodium day.

Thing is, you weren't logging, so although you say you are sure you weren't eating above 2194, you will never really know. It's very easy to underestimate portion sizes and calories.

5-10kg is not a lot of weight and unfortunately it will come off slower towards the end. You are doing the right thing though by lowering your cut to 15%. You just need to stick it out, keep weighing and logging (no matter how monotonous) and be patient. :flowerforyou:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You probably got all kinds of set meals where quantity and macro values are where you desire them.
    When I did Zone diet, I had about 3 breakfasts I rotated around, 5 lunches, and about 8 dinners. Snacks were almost always the same.
    Made it easy once those were established - except eating out. I'm a bad estimator anyway, and I don't think it's because I rely on measurements so much, applies to workout intensity, distance, height, temps, ect. So outside what I pre-calc'd - forget it, usually totally off. And could go either direction.

That could have happened easily.

Also, you have such an intense workout, your body really wants to improve, I can easily see that if you go by even a well trained feeling of hunger, your body wants you to eat more than maintenance to improve.
    But you don't want to do that yet.

Now, if you had some easy going workouts, more maintenance level not pushing the body to improve, yay that could work probably.

At least that much variance isn't bad, except you have little to lose, little to attempt weekly, and variances that are more than expected loss amount are never good. Just means longer time to see a trend.
  • jordymils
    Options
    Thanks for all of your replies.

Lauren - you're totally right. I just need to be more patient. I think I'm just getting impatient coz I feel like it's been such a long time that I've been stuck at this weight (had plateaued for quite a while before finding EM2WL, gained 3-4kg during reset and now trying to lose again) so I just want to see some movement already! haha. But yes, consistency and patience is key....

Heybales - Yep I do tend to have a number of meals that I rotate, and when I'm logging I don't eat out very often unless it's something like breakfast which is relatively easy to estimate for logging, but in my 2 weeks of no logging I did eat out more because I had that freedom of not needing to know exactly what I was eating, so I guess that could have put my numbers way up given that restaurants use more fats etc in their cooking than I would...
    I know that my training is intense but that's not something I'm willing to compromise on. Crossfit makes me so happy and most days my training is the highlight of my day, so I'm really trying to find a way of eating that will not only compliment my training but also help me lose body fat alongside my training. I know that in itself is a big ask, and will probably take longer to see results, but I'm really not willing to change my training...

Looks like I'm going back to logging!!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    oh, hope you didn't think I was suggesting backing off the training.

I merely meant for the method of going by feeling of hunger, can't be doing anything intense, or you'll over-eat.

Ya, the only other thing you could get good at is getting that feeling for the right amount of hunger you should feel when eating at the right level.
    And you get good at that while logging correctly, just paying attention to when it strikes, how intense it is, ect.
    And then try to match it when not logging on some days, or when meals are very unknown.

That sounds like such a bummer even to think about figuring that out though - lets see, how hungry should I be after this meal....
  • jordymils
    Options
    Haha yep that all makes total sense, especially your last point.
    A friend of mine is currently working on building muscle so he always says he eats til he's full, and then eats a little bit more to get in the extra calories. So I guess if not logging I'd need to eat until just satisfied but not full, or something.
    Definitely seems like logging is the simplest way to not over or under eat...
    Thanks again for the tips!