Turning 50 June 27

Options
ZamaMama
ZamaMama Posts: 20 Member
Hi! I'm Karen, 49-years old married mother of 3 boys; 2 in college, 1 in 2nd grade. I am 5'5" and 166 pounds. I've decided it's time to get back to a healthy weight for me. I was always slender, but after the birth of my last son, I just didn't lose the weight and kept adding on to it. My age is working against me, I don't burn calories as easily as 10 years ago. I've been extremely inconsistent with my exercise and weight loss programs; I go for a few weeks and then justify reasons for not exercising or eating like a pig. I'm tired of it, I want to get healthy and in good shape by my 50th birthday in June. I've always gone it alone, and well, we can see how that's worked for me, so this time I'm hoping to share my journey with others and find success. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• curlieq5
    curlieq5 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady! I totally get the body not responding like it used to! Lol! I'm 53 and have been struggling! I try to take it one day at a time. I work in a cancer center and appreciative patients are always bringing in goodies! I'm actually out of work recuperating from knee surgery, so I'm hoping this will give me the motivation to stay on track and focused again.
  • marieshapeup
    marieshapeup Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hello "Turning 50",

My name is Marie, I own Shape Up fitness for life, I am a trainer and motivator!! Here is some helpful hints;
    start your good habits now while you are recuperating think up some exercises you enjoy doing, maybe to show a music, I have helped many people rehab from injury, start now, whole body, start now.
    And when these wonderful patients bring you in goodies, ask if they mind if you donate them to the chemo dept, patients there will appreciate them and so will your patients knowing they helped others be comfortable during this hard time. I was the care giver , hands on 24/7, for my mother, who put up a brave 7 year battle against stage 4 lung cancer. One of the biggest obstacles is eating, keeping up weight and strength, as well as their mental health.

And remember your knee is rehabbing but the rest of your body is well so utilize what you got, work it!!
  • ZamaMama
    ZamaMama Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi Marie and Culrlieq5, nice to meet you! I look forward to our journey together, especially with a motivator on-board! I loved the suggestion about what to do with the goodies patients bring, that's a great way to sidestep hurt feelings by not eating the treats, it definitely maintains the good intentions of the giver.
  • marieshapeup
    marieshapeup Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Your so welcome!! I hope we can all help each other, motivate and support, to reach and surpass our goals!!