Monday: We Run

Options
Alright... really been trying to get in to (enjoying) running. I tried marathon training a few years back and ended up having a labral tear (Dr and I agreed that I pushed myself too hard too soon). I have a treadmill in my basement and feel as though I should be making better use of it (yes, running outdoors is something I'd love to do... but Ohio's Icy/snowy Winter + Running = Not fun at all!). Looking for a group of individuals that are looking for motivation and support to start C25K on Monday (1/6/14).

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Were you running before starting marathon training? If not - wow, that's quite a progression. Good luck and take it slow!
  • samiam6603
    Options
    I had jogged a lot before training for the marathon and was actually at the skinniest I had ever been... had gotten myself to running 5 miles and then had to put an abrupt end to it. I've gotten wayyyyy out of shape since then.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Just bad luck then... I'd try doing pilates and weight lifting as cross training to help build up your stabilizers.
  • milo985
    Options
    I am going to start Monday. I started Thursday and immediately have had weather and snow. Plus I started a squat challenge and my legs were killing me. So Monday is fresh start with day 1 again. Weather will not stop me again. Woo-hoo!
  • Jessica68
    Jessica68 Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    Im in. I started yesterday w day 1 and did walks on a few too many runs. Ill start over on Monday gladly!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Im in. I started yesterday w day 1 and did walks on a few too many runs. Ill start over on Monday gladly!

Slow down.
  • Jessica68
    Options
    Oh I did slow down - that my speed became a walk! :laugh: But I know what you are saying..my pace. I'll pay attention to that tomorrow. I am running/walking at a slow speed on the treadmill. I'm doing mine on the treadmill for now.

Walk speed of 3.5 (then went down to 3.0)
    run speed of 4.5
  • kimbelder
    kimbelder Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm in to start on Wednesday! Temperature will be 14 for the high Monday and 21 for Tuesday so I've circled Wednesday for my start. I've just been released by my doctor following a meniscus repair surgery late November so I'll be a little slow but have my app loaded and ready.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Oh I did slow down - that my speed became a walk! :laugh: But I know what you are saying..my pace. I'll pay attention to that tomorrow. I am running/walking at a slow speed on the treadmill. I'm doing mine on the treadmill for now.

Walk speed of 3.5 (then went down to 3.0)
    run speed of 4.5

I think I can run at 4. Needing to pee, needing water, needing to catch your breath are all signs to slow down.
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    I ran the W1D1 programme today - again :) ran it last monday as well and most likely will run it next monday too :)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I ran the W1D1 programme today - again :) ran it last monday as well and most likely will run it next monday too :)

There is a fine line between taking the program at your own pace and unnecessarily extending it. If you completed each interval then you are ready to move forward. If you can't, then you need to slow down.
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options

There is a fine line between taking the program at your own pace and unnecessarily extending it. If you completed each interval then you are ready to move forward. If you can't, then you need to slow down.

I appreciate the advice but to be frank I have so many issues with running on the ground (technique, focusing on looking up and not down at my feet) that I dont feel confident moving onto D2 just yet ...I am on W5D2 of the programme on the treadmill but I definately need more time on-ground.I will try to make W1D2 in about a week or so..that is still 1min run,1.5min walk :)
  • arendiva
    arendiva Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm starting the couch to 5k program on Monday too! I'm excited. A few years ago I lost 50 pounds and was able to run 3 miles. Life happened and I have gotten woefully out of shape since then, but I'm looking forward to getting back into it. I'd like to be able to run 10k by spring so I can run with my husband. He is one of those crazy people who runs outside even in the worst parts of winter. I will be doing my training at the gym.
  • likitisplit
    Options

I appreciate the advice but to be frank I have so many issues with running on the ground (technique, focusing on looking up and not down at my feet) that I dont feel confident moving onto D2 just yet ...I am on W5D2 of the programme on the treadmill but I definately need more time on-ground.I will try to make W1D2 in about a week or so..that is still 1min run,1.5min walk :)

Sounds like you know what you're doing. I rarely offer advice with a "my way is right" spirit. More "these are the issues I've seen before." Going from the treadmill to outside and vice versa usually requires a de-load and rebuild anyway. Sounds like you're doing great!
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options

Sounds like you know what you're doing. I rarely offer advice with a "my way is right" spirit. More "these are the issues I've seen before." Going from the treadmill to outside and vice versa usually requires a de-load and rebuild anyway. Sounds like you're doing great!

thanks...I am sure I could be doing better but I am determined to take it slow.I.have a lot of fears and insecurities around running/jogging...I hope I can make it to running 5K by end July...and then I will be happy...if it happens before that I will be very happy :)
  • likitisplit
    Options

thanks...I am sure I could be doing better but I am determined to take it slow.I.have a lot of fears and insecurities around running/jogging...I hope I can make it to running 5K by end July...and then I will be happy...if it happens before that I will be very happy :)

I'm guessing March. :)
  • samiam6603
    Options
    Day one: DONE. Kicking *kitten* and taking names. :) Hope all is well for the rest of you!
  • Jessica68
    Options
    Week1Day1 complete and was great!

I started my run at 10:30pm due to having a VERY busy day and driving all over town. Finally settled in back at home at this time. Wew - all done!
  • nh38318
    nh38318 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    D1W1 completed today.

I decided to lose weight and get fit at the end of August and have lost 2 stone so far and hoping to lose the same amount again. I have been exercising most days and built up a walking base of a brisk walk for 30 minutes at a time and have introduced different inclines over the last 2 months.

I have never run as I thought I was too big and having a big chest was too embarrassing a thought for me! Since losing 2 stone and becoming fitter I have decided to give it a go. So with new running shoes and an extremely supportive sports bra here I am having completed day 1!

I am doing the programme on a treadmill and am quite excited at the prospect of running for any length of time let alone 5k.

I;m sure my question has been asked many times.....but I cant seem to find the speeds I should be aiming for on my runs & walks. I am currently walking at 3.7 mph and running at 5 mph. Is this average for a novice? too slow/fast?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
  • Jessica68
    Options
    And we WALK :glasses: easy peasy. At leas that's what I'm doing on my rest day - 30min walk. :drinker: