soy milk and thyroid

Options
shakybabe
shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
Am I right in thinking I've heard soy blocks absorption of thyroxine? ..and what do you do if you're intolerant to cows milk? Almond milk is out as I have allergies to several nuts including almonds as well as peanut and coconut. I'm ditching dairy to see if lose bloat on tummy but can't drink tea without any milk in at all..will that tiny amount have any effect?

Thanks

Replies

• Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options
    Some say eliminate it all together, some say to not drink it until at least 4 hours after taking your thyroid meds (wait till then to take calcium and iron too). Here's one of the many links discussing pros and cons http://thyroid.about.com/od/soy/a/soy-thyroid.htm After drinking soy for years, I went with the first option and feel a lot better now.
    I am a fellow tea lover- no add ins except the occasional lemon slice. Have you tried putting smaller amounts of soy in your tea? If you can wean off it completely, you'll get the full flavor of the tea and might even enjoy it more. :)
  • kcvance
    kcvance Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Soy can also be a goitrogen (may cause goiters), as can almonds. For me both cause my thyroid nodules to flare up, which is unfortunate, because I really liked the almond milk.
  • Golightly17
    Golightly17 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I would avoid soy, not worth it. I have an almond allergy too, bummer! I use coconut milk and coconut cream.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering if cows milk was the reason I couldn't lose my tummy? It's not going down in proportion to the rest of my body slimming down. I exercise as much as I can and try and keep calories low..(though I have over-indulged at xmas a bit) I regained a stone and its gone on my tummy. I've just had monthlies so had put it down to that but should have gone back down again by now as all the water has dropped off and they've ended.

I've got water tablets to make sure I get all excess water off to see if I lose any extra incase indulging over xmas (had some things with wheat in).

I'm trying to work out how much is water from allergies as I'd got down to 9st 3 so can't believe I've gained a stone of fat just by over-indulging for a week at xmas! ..I figured there must be something else I'm intolerant to thats still in my diet.

What other foods cause problems with thyroid?
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Soy's estrogen mimicking abilities have been said to interfere with the absorption of thyroid medicine. Personally, I eat/drink soy. And it works well for my body. I avoid it around the time when I take my meds--I only eat/drink it at lunch and dinner. And I stick to unsweetened milk and endamame.

It seems hit or miss, there's nothing conclusive out there that I've found, just warnings.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16571087

I can't drink milk because of my psoriasis. And I don't eat a ton of meat. Soy is a good source of protein for me. I avoided it like the plague at first, but have lost the weight when I've been eating and drinking it.

I probably wasn't much help, but there's my experience. :)