Treadmill Running Tips by Varda

Options
likitisplit
likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
1. Suck it up - Coach Laura

2. Watch a movie - I watched Netflix cartoons about Turbo (the racing snail). This was awesome because the crux of the story was always a race and they'd play things like "Eye of the Tiger." Also, racing snails....I can really relate.

3. Go first thing in the morning. Because you can't talk yourself out of it if you haven't had enough coffee to be coherent yet.

4. Set the incline to 1 unless it brings thoughts of self-harm. The bottom line is that running is better than not-running. (Coach Laura)

5. The first 10 minutes always suck. At 15 minutes I looked up. The lady whose breasts and stomach and butt were sloshing from side to side last year looked REALLY good this year. And my stride looked as pretty as it felt.

6. Wear your "I believe in the Blerch" shirt from The Oatmeal. Not only will it inspire you to kick *kitten*, you'll get positive telepathic vibes from all the rest of the runners in the gym.

7. Fans minimize the "running to nowhere" feeling. (Thanks, Becky)

8. Use commercial time for speed intervals. Run faster during commercials. (Petra)

9. You will be a minute or two slower than outside. That's ok. (Rindy)

10. It takes at least three runs to get used to anything new.

What other tips and inspiration would you like to add?

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Good tips! I don't do the treadmill but I often do other boring things like the elliptical and the stationary bike. I bought a small tablet for watching TV shows and it has been the best thing ever! 45 minutes on the bike used to be torture but now it goes by fast when I watch a show. Good way to catch up on all the past shows I've missed.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I don't have cable TV at home, so when I have longer runs on the treadmill I try to find something good on cable (at the gym) that I can't watch at home. Still stuck with commercial breaks, but at least it eases the tedium.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    6. Remember that going from outside to inside means having to learn to run...AGAIN. Therefore, ignore the trainers who come up and bug you about having the incline on 1 or higher. After all, they are weight lifters not runners.

7. If you can't find your "I believe in the Blerch" tee-shirt, technical running garbs are a good sub...and it will make all the weight lifters in the room stare.

8. Stretch! You are inside and are no where near bugs. Get on your booty and stretch those legs out very well.

9. Treadmills are a great device to use for speed work...the impact is minimal, and you can control the speed easily. And they are great tools for hill climbs.

10. No matter how slow you go, you look awesome on a treadmill as opposed to those on the ellipticals. And I have no idea why, but this is true.

11. When using a public gym, invest in a personal fan!

12. WIPE DOWN YOUR MACHINE WHEN DONE!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    6. Remember that going from outside to inside means having to learn to run...AGAIN. Therefore, ignore the trainers who come up and bug you about having the incline on 1 or higher. After all, they are weight lifters not runners.

Actually my trainer (who stresses the 1.0 incline) is a triathlete, not a weight lifter.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

Actually my trainer (who stresses the 1.0 incline) is a triathlete, not a weight lifter.

I stll don't believe in the 1% incline stuff. Supposedly it is supposed to mimick wind resistance, but honestly I think running inside is harder than outside now, not to mention the incline doesn't mimick the terrain difference.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I believe the 1% incline stuff, but I don't think I run on the treadmill enough for it to make that much of a difference. I mean, my rail trail is has a net elevation loss to the trail head and that's an hour run.

But yes, the fan makes all the difference in the world.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options

Still stuck with commercial breaks, but at least it eases the tedium.

Use commercial time for speed intervals. Run faster during commercials.

A fan is a necessity. Being indoors makes for much warmer running & a fan is welcome.
  • Rindy12
    Rindy12 Posts: 215 Member
    Options

I took the 1% incline tip from Laura, she mentioned something about her trainer saying it was easier on the hips. I didn't struggle so bad today with it on a 1%. My calves only slightly hurt today and made it through my 2 mile run without walk breaks. Earlier this week I had to take a walking break after 1.5 miles, yet last Saturday I ran outside for 3 and never felt like I needed a walking break. I'm starting to think it's all in my head :laugh: Effort wise (either on a 0 or 1 incline) a 15 min/mile on the treadmill still feels like a 13 min/mile outside.

The fan is a must! My apartment complex has a small fitness center and they always have the heat so high it's too warm even if you aren't exercising. I've been listening to the music on my phone when I run, I'll have to try the TV next time, maybe I just need more of a distraction since there's no changing scenery to look at.

You guys are so awesome!! Thanks for all the tips, this is going to help me get through the winter!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Like Rindy said it's because of my hips, not the wind resistance, that Jason wants me doing the 1% incline. Varda commented on the news feed post that it's like running slightly downhill, which is Jason's objection to it. Every week we do hip strengthening exercises too (which I find boring but apparently are important).
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    But 30 minutes at 0 is totally better than not doing it at all. :smile: It's a bigger issue for me than someone in a warmer climate because I'm doing both of my short runs on the treadmill each week, and periodically my longer runs too.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    But 30 minutes at 0 is totally better than not doing it at all. :smile:

Brilliant statement, Laura!