Rny newbie needs advice

Options
Janie3765
Janie3765 Posts: 12 Member
Hi everyone, I had my RNY on December 10th 2013, I am concerned that I am actually eating too much, I have a weetabix for breakfast, a whole tin of soup for lunch (400g) then yesterday I had 8 crab sticks and 4 crackers for dinner!! Surely this can't be right 4 weeks post op?!

Replies

• Janie3765
    Options
    Someone?.....Anyone?...
  • LolaBug85
    LolaBug85 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I would suggest contacting your bariatric doctor if you feel that way. I'm not sure what most of that stuff is that you're eating, but I could only eat about one ounce per meal at 1 month post oop.
  • Tristaan
    Tristaan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hi Janie,
    I had my RNY on October 28th and I still do not eat any bread/crackers/etc. I was told it would be several months before I would be cleared for bread. Every surgeon is different, but I think you would still be in the pureed food stage, or just barely out of it heading into soft foods. PROTEIN. You have to focus on that first and foremost (I have to eat at least 60 grams a day). I think if you focus on the protein and fluids (mine's at least 64 oz /day), you'll probably eat a pretty low calorie diet naturally. From what you've written, it doesn't really seem like you're eating a lot - although it might feel like a lot to you :) I would take out the breads this early though and work on finding other protein options.
  • Susann1963
    Susann1963 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 2 years post RNY. I just looked back at my diary from the stage you are at, and I only ate a scrambled egg, maybe some yogurt and protein shakes each day. Soft pureed only. Absolutely no carbs (they have no nutrition at all). Doesn't your office follow you carefully by a nutritionist with strict diet plan?
  • Susann1963
    Susann1963 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    And by yogurt, I mean Greek plain. We werent allowed any sugar at all for the first few months to really break the craving. Mostly we only worried about texture and protein content. Fish, cottage cheese, plain greek yogurt, soft foods like that.

.Phase 3: Soft, solid foods
    With your doctor's OK, after a few weeks of pureed foods, you can add soft, solid foods to your diet. If you can mash your food with a fork, it's soft enough to include in this phase of your diet.

During this phase, your diet can include:

Ground or finely diced meats
    Canned or soft, fresh fruit
    Cooked vegetables
    You usually eat soft foods for eight weeks before eating foods of regular consistency with firmer texture, as recommended by your dietitian or doctor.

Phase 4: Solid foods
    After about eight weeks on the gastric bypass diet, you can gradually return to eating firmer foods. You may find that you still have difficulty eating spicier foods or foods with crunchy textures. Start slowly with regular foods to see what foods you can tolerate.

Avoid these foods
    Even at this stage after surgery, avoid these foods:

Nuts and seeds
    Popcorn
    Dried fruits
    Sodas and carbonated beverages
    Granola
    Stringy or fibrous vegetables, such as celery, broccoli, corn or cabbage
    Tough meats or meats with gristle
    Breads
    These foods are discouraged because they typically aren't well tolerated in the weeks after surgery and might cause gastrointestinal symptoms. Over time, you may be able to try some of these foods again, with the guidance of your doctor.
  • Janie3765
    Options
    Thanks everyone,
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I had my RNY on December 10th 2013, I am concerned that I am actually eating too much, I have a weetabix for breakfast, a whole tin of soup for lunch (400g) then yesterday I had 8 crab sticks and 4 crackers for dinner!! Surely this can't be right 4 weeks post op?!

I am a bit surprised, the wheatbix that know is about a half cup if dry wheat fiber when crumbled. I doubt I could eat that much now and I am 3 years out. A month out, you still must be in touch with the surgeon, and hopefully their nutritionist can guide you. Every one else responding has stressed the importance of protein first and foremost in their diet. Wheatabix does not qualify in my mind, crab sticks maybe, but crackers? Why?