blood sugar question

Options
Keto_T
Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
My cousin just had a nasty run in with diabetes and my dad, his dad and my aunt have it as well-all adult onset. I bought a glucose meter just to keep an eye on things. My morning fasting BG has been the same-ish (pre-diabetic according to my Internet medical degree) or higher than my evening readings. Anyone have ideas why that would be? I've only been doing it about 3 days so it's not really long enough to get good trends but something I'll keep an eye on.

Replies

• LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Have you taken an A1C? Has your doctor diagnosed you with being prediabetic? Are you taking any medication?
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I agree with getting an A1C done. However it is likely what you are experiencing is the "dawn phenomenon" in which morning blood sugar is higher because you essentially fasted overnight and your body has released glucose in the early morning hours to "feed" itself. It is not especially harmful in people doing low carb, as long as your overall blood glucose level is good. One way to mitigate it is to eat something right before bed. I personally don't feel this is necessary, and may be counterproductive (longer periods of fasting are probably better even if there is an endogenous rise in blood glucose) but research it and decide for yourself.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I've never had formal testing done or if i did, it was in a regular panel of labs and not extraordinary. I've never tested regularly before and my results are only since eating low carb so i dont have anything to compare it to. I just kinda freaked when my cousin had such a bad intro to diabetes. I'll keep a check on it. Thanks for the replies.