Rest Days

Options
I have done some research but would like your 2 opinions on my question. Am I ok to do cardio on my "rest" days. I know Sara is not a fan of cardio, I don't know if SS is, but I am and I actually don't want to give up any of what I do, but I don't want to also be doing more harm than good to my body. I just started the 5x5 SL program (one week in) and I lift Sun, Tues and Fri. (I love saying I lift now, it's so empowering). My cardio is pretty moderate, I'm not a fanatic about anything, at all, ever. I work up and good sweat and put effort into it, but it's not aggressive, I never take first, but I never come in last :smile: - here's the rest of what I do pretty consistently:

I walk my dogs pretty much every single day between 1 to 3 miles depending on day. I live on a hill, so we walk, up, down and straight.
Mon - Pilates - cause I like it. Sometimes I stay for Zumba after - because it's fun as hell.
Tues - Lift and swim. I swim on a Master's swim team so it is a coached workout and I'm in the intermediate lane - my lane gets about a mile and a half in. Sometimes it's endurance swims, sometimes sprints so I get a good variety.
Wed - Pilates or some kind of core commotion type of class.
Thurs - Cycle and swim. It's the only time I can work a cycle class in and I also love cycle.
Fri - Lift
Sun - Lift
All the above are about 1 hour of class.

I also usually walk the treadmill or row for 15 to 30 minutes after I lift on Friday and Sunday, again mostly cause I like it. I honestly do not feel like I am overdoing it, but want your opinions. I work 8-5 M-F mostly on my butt, although I try to get up and move, squat, push up, jumping jacks 3 or 4 times through the day, but I'm pretty damn sedentary 8-5. Weekends I'm busy and do no sit a lot. I always thought rest days meant rest from lifting not cardio. Thanks.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?
    How is your recovery?
    Is your cardio impacting your lifting?
    What rate is your body weight changing per week?
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    My ultimate goal is to have a strong body so I can be mobile under my own power until the day I die. Genetics are not necessarily on my side. I would like to lose more weight as well, about 25 more lbs., but I don't really have a set number because if I feel good, look good and feel strong at 175, and my BF is at a decent % that'll be fine, if that makes sense.

I am 5'8" and weigh 185 right now. BF was 31% (if I remember right) last time I had it measured by calipers and that was 9 weeks ago at 194#, just FYI.

My legs were super sore yesterday after Fri and Sun lifting, like I had to brace myself to sit down and stand up sore, but they feel better today. My back and shoulders were what I call a good sore and they are just slightly sore still today. I may have overdone it a little bit on the squats. I like to think I'm stronger than I really am.

So far, my cardio is not impacting my lifting, but I've just started so hard to tell for sure. I have no problem laying off a day or so if I am too sore.

I just completed a program at my Rec Center and lost 11 lbs in 9 weeks. I gained about 3 or so back, but before that program I was losing about 3 to 4 lbs a month consistently from July, which is when I started tracking.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Tagging
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    The more I think about it, I'm pretty sure my "cardio" is moderate enough that it's not really a factor, especially the dog walking and classes and treadmill. Swimming and cycle are the only one's I actually feel like I might explode and die sometimes and actually push myself. I am going to concentrate on figuring out how to strength train or lift heavy or whatever it is called and just work the rest in if I feel like I can and want to. I just got the book Starting Strength so hopefully that will help me as well. I do appreciate any advice y'all have for me, I'm always open to help, but I know you are both busy as hell as well. I have learned a lot from just stalking the posts already in your forum and just the general forum as well. Thanks!