ILiftHeavyAcrylics+Nickylee76

Options
.I've already been PMing back and forth with Nickylee76. We've discussed how to set up macros and I've sent her some information on getting started with lifting.

Replies

• nickylee76
    nickylee76 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    You've been so awesome helping get my macros set up!! I think I even finally got them right under my goals today. Maybe not quite there yet in my diary today but I'm getting closer. Your suggestions for protein and fat really help. Also your info for lifting great!! I will be reading up on the books and check out the sites you told me about this week. I hope to start putting it to work in the next week or two!! :flowerforyou:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Good deal! Let me know if there's anything else you need. :flowerforyou:
  • nickylee76
    Options
    Ok I have a question already... :) So I was reading, cause I tend to do that a lot, anyway someone was mentioning they have a HRM but it still exaggerates calories so they don't eat them all back. I do have a fitbit in order..... What do you know about those? Will it not be as accurate also? Should I continue eating only half when I get it? My whole purpose getting it was to know more accurately... Did I just waste my money?
  • nickylee76
    Options
    Oh and how awesome is this!! I didn't even know how close I was cause I kept looking at the percentage thing but I ended up with 123 protein and 50 fat today!! :) That's pretty close!! We had said 128 and 56. :) I'm stoked!!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Oh and how awesome is this!! I didn't even know how close I was cause I kept looking at the percentage thing but I ended up with 123 protein and 50 fat today!! :) That's pretty close!! We had said 128 and 56. :) I'm stoked!!

That's awesome! Great work!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Ok I have a question already... :) So I was reading, cause I tend to do that a lot, anyway someone was mentioning they have a HRM but it still exaggerates calories so they don't eat them all back. I do have a fitbit in order..... What do you know about those? Will it not be as accurate also? Should I continue eating only half when I get it? My whole purpose getting it was to know more accurately... Did I just waste my money?

Here's a link to the Fitbit group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1290-fitbit-users

I don't personally have one and I don't think they're necessary. However they can be a helpful tool. Just keep in mind that it's still going to be estimating your calories burned, so you'll want to gauge your actual results and adjust as needed.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I asked some of my MFP friends who have been tracking and weighing food long enough to be able to compare their actual results to their fitbit projections. They seem to be remarkably close for all the people I asked (5).
  • nickylee76
    Options
    Oh that's good news!!! :)
  • nickylee76
    Options
    Ok I am starting to check out the stronglifts website you told me about.....you are right it does kinda read like an infomercial. :laugh: Am I actually supposed to hit the "download now" he claims is absolutely free or is there really a catch and he is lying? Seriously those couple things in the part A and Part B is all someone needs to do? Come on..... there's only like 5 different exercises there.... that couldn't be a very long workout....and I gather there are videos for me to watch to make sure I know the correct form and stuff?.... I saw on another thread somewhere someone said to practice with a broom handle first? I feel like I am missing something..... or alot rather....I need to just order those other books. LOL
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Ok I am starting to check out the stronglifts website you told me about.....you are right it does kinda read like an infomercial. :laugh: Am I actually supposed to hit the "download now" he claims is absolutely free or is there really a catch and he is lying? Seriously those couple things in the part A and Part B is all someone needs to do? Come on..... there's only like 5 different exercises there.... that couldn't be a very long workout....and I gather there are videos for me to watch to make sure I know the correct form and stuff?.... I saw on another thread somewhere someone said to practice with a broom handle first? I feel like I am missing something..... or alot rather....I need to just order those other books. LOL

It really is free but he'll spam your inbox with daily messages until you turn them off. I went ahead and read them for a few days just to make sure I wasn't missing anything important and I wasn't. Feel free to unsubscribe immediately.

It's a pretty short workout, it takes about 40 minutes. Don't forget to properly warm-up-- that's just as much part of the routine as the lifts themselves. He'll tell you how to warm-up properly. There are some form vids and explanations on the stronglifts site, or you can go to YouTube. Look at the Mark Rippetoe videos or So You Think You Can Squat and So You Think You Can Deadlift. There's also a stronglifts for women group here if you decide to do it. There's a lot of good info to be found there. Here's the link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

Stronglifts dude is a big of a chauvinist and he assumes it'll be guys only doing his workout, so the stronglifts for women group has good information about how to modify since you may not be able to progress a full 5 lbs on upper body stuff like OHP and bench, and what weight to start with for deadlift (you can't start with just the bar for that one).

If you decide to buy Starting Strength instead it's essentially the same workout but with better explanations of form and less sleazy marketing.
  • nickylee76
    Options
    Ok great I will download it on my home computer tonight then and check out those videos. Thanks. :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Oh crap, I accidentally deleted your post. :blushing: :laugh:

All the buttons are in a different spot in here because of mod powers.

Anyway the question was whether to weigh meat before or after cooking.

Generally it's best to do it raw because when you cook it, it loses moisture and the degree of cooking will change the weight without changing the calorie count. For example, if you've got a piece of meat that's 4 oz raw and you cook it for 20 minutes it might weigh 3 oz, and if you cook it another 10 minutes it might weigh 2.5 oz, but it still has the same number of calories, just less water.

If you're weighing it raw though you have to make sure you select the raw entry from the database. The correct way to search is like so:

Tyson raw boneless skinless chicken breast

Then double check the entries against the packaging, because for some reason chicken breast calories vary WIDELY. You get database entries ranging from 100 calories per 4 oz to 140 calories per 4 oz. Unfortunately the one I use (Tyson) is 140.

If you can't find a raw entry you can enter your own. If your meat comes raw and has a nutrition label, assume unless it says otherwise that it means raw weight. If it comes cooked, assume it means cooked weight.

If you can't find a raw entry and your meat doesn't have a label, you can use cooked, but then just realize there's a larger margin of error.

I also follow the same principals for fruits/veggies. Recently I tested the sweet potato entries raw versus cooked and found that the cooked entry was off by about 20 calories. Not a huge amount, but enough to make a difference over time.

Sorry again for deleting your comment. :flowerforyou:
  • nickylee76
    Options
    Hmmm it's ok I forgive you!!! :) ok so tonight I made London broil.... A big hunk of meat basically so if I weighed it before it was a couple pounds lol. So what I did was the best I could... I cooked it then weighed out 4 ounces but tracked 6 cause I have no idea!!! Oops I may have messed up on my sweet potato then... But it was more by size....ugh I need to pay more attention to that!!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Hmmm it's ok I forgive you!!! :) ok so tonight I made London broil.... A big hunk of meat basically so if I weighed it before it was a couple pounds lol. So what I did was the best I could... I cooked it then weighed out 4 ounces but tracked 6 cause I have no idea!!! Oops I may have messed up on my sweet potato then... But it was more by size....ugh I need to pay more attention to that!!

Okay well then just pick the entry that is for broiled meat and make sure you choose the one with no asterisk. That'll be the most accurate.

The other option (which I usually do when I'm making a pork tenderloin) is to enter it in the recipe builder raw with all the seasonings and stuff and then put how many servings I want. Then when I get it out I weigh the whole thing cooked and divide that weight by the number of servings to get my portion. If it came out weighing 500 grams cooked and I knew I wanted 3 servings out of it then a serving would be 167 grams.
  • nickylee76
    Options
    I figured I should post here.... Day two... I went ahead and bumped squats up to 55 instead of 50... Felt good!!! The OHP was too easy at just 25 pounds but 45 would have been too high so I'll go up next week. Did the dead lift at 65 no problem but being I had already done squats I felt it!! My legs were kinda sore today but I was expecting more upper body and had none there. It didn't seem enough today so I added in some core work... :) I want more !! I even asked a stranger in the gym today where the 25 pound bar was... :) lol I just sucked it up and instead of looking down and searching for myself I figured I have no time just ask someone!! :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I figured I should post here.... Day two... I went ahead and bumped squats up to 55 instead of 50... Felt good!!! The OHP was too easy at just 25 pounds but 45 would have been too high so I'll go up next week. Did the dead lift at 65 no problem but being I had already done squats I felt it!! My legs were kinda sore today but I was expecting more upper body and had none there. It didn't seem enough today so I added in some core work... :) I want more !! I even asked a stranger in the gym today where the 25 pound bar was... :) lol I just sucked it up and instead of looking down and searching for myself I figured I have no time just ask someone!! :)

Awesome! Make sure you're solid on form before you go up too much in weight. Otherwise it sounds like it's going great!
  • nickylee76
    Options
    I hope I am... I'm doing it in front of a mirror... Looks ok to me but what do I know!! Lol I can tell this ones gonna hurt my legs though
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    If you can get a video I can do a basic form check for you. If not, watch the form videos on YouTube and check yourself in the mirror. If something hurts (not muscle soreness but pain) then stop, you're doing something wrong.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Crap I deleted your post again. :grumble: It's a good thing I'm not a real mod, I kind of suck at keeping the buttons straight.

Anyway your legs likely are the strongest part of you. Mine are for me, but I also get the most soreness there. If you can get someone to video, great-- that's the best way to see mistakes in form. But if you can't just keep watching the form videos. Watch them before each workout for awhile. You'll be surprised at things you don't really "get" for a few sessions, just because it's hard to remember everything when you're starting out.
  • nickylee76
    Options
    Ok I will... That's a great idea!! I probably should watch them several times!!