Struggling with a compulsion to eat at night-

Options
I really struggle with night time eating. I follow a three meal a day approach so I don't COE and I really struggle with the pull to eat at night. I ate my three meals, sufficient calories per dietician yet I am still hungry. I feel like my disease is really on my back. So I am doing my part by not eating and praying, but it really has me. Anyone else can relate and what did you do about it? Thanks.

Replies

• MyFoodGod
    MyFoodGod Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Try journaling. Just write a your thoughts on a piece of paper, get them out and don't worry about the format etc. You can use a scrap piece of paper and throw it away later.

Read some literature. Maybe you can find a passage that will be good to refer to frequently.

Listen to a podcast from one of the many OA groups.

Turn to your higher power and ask for help.

Hope this helps.
  • MyFoodGod
    Options
    I'm working on learning to recognize the difference between hunger and emotions. They can feel the same/ or we label it that way. Went to a great OA event focusing in this topic and it was eye opening.

Also look online for a meeting. There may be an online meeting you can join when the urge hits you, no matter the hour. You don't even have to get dressed to go to an online meeting.
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    Your meal plan is such a personal thing. I'm diabetic, so three meals is not going to work for me. I add in healthy snacks in-between meals. It's totally doable as long as you stay accountable with your meal plan, and sharing it with a sponsor or another OA'er, which should help keep your emotional eating in check.
  • Lynn_is_happy
    Lynn_is_happy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    It really helps to be reminded of the tools. I have to check out the podcasts-sounds cool Thanks.
  • Lynn_is_happy
    Lynn_is_happy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thats so true-thanks for the reminder of an online meeting. Especially at night.
  • MyFoodGod
    Options
    I think that's why they say keep coming back. We need the reminders and encouragement.
  • BreeMomOf4
    BreeMomOf4 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You are NOT alone. I'm right there with ya!
    In my head I'm (almost) always hungry and feel like I HAVE to eat. (but yes, mostly in the evenings)

I have fallen off track for the last few months... but I'm here and trying to get back on!