High fat snacks

Options
I just started on Keto and I've run into a problem.

While adjusting my diet, I've had a hard time moving to fattier foods. So, my ratios tend to be off because I'm not eating enough fat. While I exhaust my freezer and fridge of leaner food, what are some high fat, low protein, no carb snacks that I can pick up or make to keep my fat numbers up?

Replies

• mixelated
    mixelated Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I put Kerrygold butter in my tea. Sounds odd, but it's delicious and has really helped with those percentages. I drink a heavy black tea - Assam, and add the butter, then stevia and unsweetened almond milk.
    Some people put butter in their coffee - look for 'bulletproof coffee.'
  • DehydrationStation
    Options
    There's nothing like a big, greasy tablespoon of coconut oil to get your day started.

Also, Google "fat bombs".

If you Google "AWESOME fat bombs", you may find yourself here:

http://redd.it/1tlwyb
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Almonds, Pecans, and Macadamia nuts are all great.

Olives are also supposed to be good (blech - not a fan).

Avocado.

Nuke or bake pepperoni to make "chips". Then dip into a sour cream based dip or cream cheese or guacamole. Or just eat with some cheese.

Oh.... cheese.

Coffee with Heavy Cream (or butter, or coconut oil).

I found the "Fat Fast Cookbook" to have a lot of ideas for boosting fat. I've never done a Fat Fast, but I've made more recipes from this cookbook, than any other.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Boiled eggs, devilled eggs
    Celery with almond butter
    Cucumber with sour cream dip
    Celery with cream cheese
    Extra virgin olive oil on veggies
    Frozen veg fried in butter
    Bacon
  • GRoman77
    Options
    Thank you so much! This is exactly what I was looking for.
  • Saraisamom
    Saraisamom Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Nuke or bake pepperoni to make "chips". Then dip into a sour cream based dip or cream cheese or guacamole. Or just eat with some cheese.

Why have I never thought of this?!!!! I used to love the overly crispy pepperoni on pizza.
  • Saraisamom
    Saraisamom Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    There's nothing like a big, greasy tablespoon of coconut oil to get your day started.

I've never had coconut oil before. Is it palatable on it's own or is it usually mixed into other foods?
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    You would probably enjoy eating it straight about as much as you would eating butter straight. (Some people do this - I'm not one of them). Depending on the type you get, it can have a subtle coconut flavor. That's good with some things, and not so good for others. I find it lovely in coffee.
  • mixelated
    Options
    Oh, yea, I've had those cream cheese pancakes, and the 'oopsie bread' which is almost the same thing. Strange, but tastes good and sturdy enough to use to make a sandwich kind of snack.
  • mixelated
    Options
    Agree about the coconut oil. Personal preference... my brother and father love a dollop of coconut oil straight from the jar, but it makes me gag. I love a spoonful of butter, which has them gagging in turn.
  • DehydrationStation
    Options
    I've never had coconut oil before. Is it palatable on it's own or is it usually mixed into other foods?

When you learn that coconut oil can be up to 66% medium-chain triglycerides (the kind of fat your brain just LOVES on keto), you may get over the unpalatability of a big greasy teaspoon of it. LOL!