Paleo salad dressings.

Options
bethany_3
bethany_3 Posts: 5 Member
I just started *trying* to live the paleo lifestyle today. I have tried and failed miserably in the past, so this time I did a lot of research and prepared myself. I love grilled chicken salads so this will be my normal lunch, but the problem I am having is what to use for dressing. I love ranch and know that it is not acceptable now. I found a few recipes online and gave one a try: http://paleotable.com/2012/11/paleo-ranch-dressing/ I think it's too runny and not very good. Not sure if it will just take some getting used to. I am trying to be successful this time, so I was hoping to find a salad dressing that I will enjoy.

Any suggestions? TIA...

Replies

• kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I use olive oil, vinegar, a little lemon juice and then throw in some italian spices. I'm not sure about ranch-type dressings, but I made my own Mayo and I saw a recipe somewhere about adding spices to that and thinning with lemon juice to make a dressing.

I think your tastes will change as you get further along and you might find that oil and vinegar is perfect.

Good luck!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Like you, I'm a ranch addict. Here are a few things I've found:

1. Change the salad - I've found it easier to use a different dressing or even no dressing when the salad itself is different. Make radical changes, too, even change the lettuce. Some salads are simply better suited to a vinaigrette or oil-and-vinegar dressing than they are to ranch.

2. It's okay to make concessions (just try not to make too many, and always strive for improvement) - Unless you're doing a Whole 30 or something similar, you're embarking on a lifestyle change. This means that you won't always be perfect with it, and that's okay. You can work on getting better over time. In the meantime, don't beat yourself up if you use a little ranch dressing (yes, even at a restaurant, with the conventional ranch) while you try to find a better alternative.

3. Check out Annie's Cowgirl Ranch dressing - http://www.annies.com/products/dressings-oils/organic-cowgirl-ranch-dressing-8oz/ . It's not perfectly paleo (it still used vegetable oil, but at least it's not soy, and buttermilk, which isn't strictly paleo), but it has good flavor and consistency and can serve to get you away from the soybean oil based versions until you can find an alternative that you like.
  • leighn62
    leighn62 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Mayo base dressings are good. I make a creamy Caesar with homemade mayo, olive oil, anchovy paste, Worcestershire, and garlic or garlic powder, s & p. Almost paleo. Close enough for me
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    "Trying" doesn't sound like committed to "doing"... It's not hard to make one's own mayo and salad dressings. I love ranch. I use my homemade mayo and add a bunch of seasonings (Google for ideas). If I have nothing made up, just oil (olive, avocado, macadamia, etc) and balsamic (or red wine vinegar, lemon, lime juice) works too. I even make coleslaw and ceasar dressings. Yum. Keep trying different things and I promise you will find some that you like.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    "Trying" doesn't sound like committed to "doing"... It's not hard to make one's own mayo and salad dressings. I love ranch. I use my homemade mayo and add a bunch of seasonings (Google for ideas). If I have nothing made up, just oil (olive, avocado, macadamia, etc) and balsamic (or red wine vinegar, lemon, lime juice) works too. I even make coleslaw and ceasar dressings. Yum. Keep trying different things and I promise you will find some that you like.

I always forget about mayo for salad dressing!

What's your favorite oil for mayo?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

I always forget about mayo for salad dressing!

What's your favorite oil for mayo?

I like the light olive oil for a "normal" flavour. I also like bacon grease, avocado oil and macadamia oil (which tastes awesome on fish). When using the other oils I usually mix with olive oil too since they, like macadamia, can be over powering. I like baconnaise with all bacon grease though and it lasts forever in the fridge. Some of my primal cookbooks recommend sunflower oil but I don't use it. I use mayo for making ranch, coleslaw or any "creamy" dressing. Over time, I've gotten used to homemade condiments and am much less picky that the flavour match store-bought junk. In fact, my stuff tastes way better.
  • bethany_3
    bethany_3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The ranch I made had to use a homemade paleo mayo. I was pretty stoked about getting it right the first time because apparently it can separate easily and you would have to start over. Anyhoo, I added salt and pepper to taste. I tried leaving it out and the dressing was too bland, but with a little salt and pepper it was great! It sat in the fridge for a good few hours too which definitely helped! My husband even liked it...that's a win!!
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Mayo base dressings are good. I make a creamy Caesar with homemade mayo, olive oil, anchovy paste, Worcestershire, and garlic or garlic powder, s & p. Almost paleo. Close enough for me

I am going to give this a try, I get tired of vinegar based dressings and after a few months I need a change too.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I am probably a bit extreme, but I ONLY use balsamic vinegar. If at a restaurant I will take their oil and vinegar - but at home it is balsamic. On the veggies, on the steak, the chicken and the ice cream ;)

BUT, balsamic vinegar is literally like wine. The stuff you see in a grocery store is usually crap even the stuff that is $20 a bottle. I usually spend about $50 for a small bottle, but it don't take much and has so much flavor.
  • Quinnstinct
    Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Good for you for TRYING, soon you will be doing all sorts of new things and learning what works for you. I second using balsamic (but I like to add good olive oil and a sprinkle of sea salt and pepper). Keep trying new things, don't get discouraged!
  • mike00t
    mike00t Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yup - What others said. You can make your own mayonnaise and use it as a base for your own ranch dressing. You also may be able to find a brand of mayo that is made with olive oil and with no added sugar. If you make your own, try a light olive oil - the strongly flavored ones are too strong for mayo, IMO.

I used to use a ranch dressing mix from Penzey's but I stopped using it (I think it had sugar in it) and I make my own with a mix of yogurt, mayo, garlic, onions, lots of pepper, dill and vinegar.
  • 3rdxacharm
    3rdxacharm Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I take my homemade mayo and add Adobo seasoning and there ya go, ranch dressing :)
  • alexotica
    alexotica Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The last time I was in Whole Foods, they had a line of oil-less dressings which at first seemed to be going further than necessary out of the way to avoid canola oil, etc. But I picked up their fig balsamic which only had ingredients I was okay with. Add that and olive oil to my salads at home. I don't remember what the other varieties were.
  • FitToLead
    FitToLead Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    what makes a worthy balsamic vinegar to buy? organic?
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Someone posted this ranch recipe on another thread. It looks easy and I like the fact that I don't have to make mayo (I am a bit intimidated by making my own mayo)

" AIP ranch dressing (coconut cream, coconut milk, olive oil, cider vinegar, dill) and it tastes really good as a dip for baby carrots. "

I am going to try it!
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Like others, I'm big on mayo-based dressings because I love a creamy dressing (though I do it from time to time, I find making my own a bit of a pain, so for the most part, we cheat and get Hellman's Olive Oil Mayo - it still has canola oil, but otherwise, it's quite clean).

We'll also often just do oil and vinegar (usually balsamic).
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I like chipotle mayo as a veggie dip. (mayo, curry powder, chilli powder or hot sauce)
    As far as salad dressing goes, I am not a fan of the mayo based dressings. I usually just use some kind of oil (avocado, olive or some nuts oil) with some vinegar (balsamic, or apple cider or whatever ) and drizzle a lot of spice depending the salad.
    Or just pour bacon grease on it, yum.
    My fav salad is baby spinach, eggs, bacon bits , and tomato with some bacon grease.
    I also like salad with fruits, like baby spinach , celery, strawberry , walnut, goat cheese, drizzle some macademia oil on it and ready to go.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I find my good balsamic at a oil and vinegar store in our mall (I know not everyone has one:)
    I have also found them at good wineries. (online would always be an option for sure).

$20 for a bottle on the top shelf of a good grocery store is about the minimum I would spend. I prefer the better stuff but I have become a vinegar snob. $40-$50 for a 8oz bottle is about where I land, and remember a little goes a LONG way.
  • EverythingNicki
    Options
    I do a very similiar version of yours except I sub the coconut cream with paleo mayo that I make and add in a couple chopped chives, onion powder, and minced garlic my little ones will eat so many more fresh finger veggies when I add this to the plate..
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I just started *trying* to live the paleo lifestyle today. I have tried and failed miserably in the past, so this time I did a lot of research and prepared myself. I love grilled chicken salads so this will be my normal lunch, but the problem I am having is what to use for dressing. I love ranch and know that it is not acceptable now. I found a few recipes online and gave one a try: http://paleotable.com/2012/11/paleo-ranch-dressing/ I think it's too runny and not very good. Not sure if it will just take some getting used to. I am trying to be successful this time, so I was hoping to find a salad dressing that I will enjoy.

Any suggestions? TIA...

I try to avoid Paleo recipes that try too hard to mimic non-Paleo stuff.

I just switched to oil and vinegar (either red wine or balsamic)

Making your own dressing is easy as pie. For the most part it is just spices and oil.