Step up height

Options
dmt4641
dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
How tall is the step you use for the step up? My gym has various platforms people use for jumping and I am using those for my step ups. However, one seems too short and one seems too tall. I have been using the taller one, but my knee is above the level of my hips when I am starting the move so it is pretty hard. I'm wondering if this is the right height???

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I put mine at 90 degrees. My gym has a machine that has a platform that raises and lowers that is great for step-ups. But before they got that I was using weight benches.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I used a box that was approximately the same height as a weight bench.
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I've been using the height that gives me a 90 degree bend. Pretty much the same as a bench. Getting hard though, dunno how much more weight I can move up at the height (half way moved up 15 lbs).
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Mine is 14"
  • KMasz
    KMasz Posts: 2,666 Member
    Options
    I'm short, so when I try using a bench, it feels too high. I use an old milk crate. It's a bit higher than a stair, and provides a good burn.
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I use those steppers that they usually have in step class -- stacking 4 steps and the top gives me a 90 degree angle, which I'm told is the desired height. I guess the weight bench would work too. I'm sure your gym would have them lying around somewhere?
  • sleepyjen
    sleepyjen Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I'm also short and use the back of a treadmill. The benches were way too high and the impact on my ankle going down again was rough.
  • WannabeStressFree
    WannabeStressFree Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I started to use the bench and I feel it! I used the step up block for aerobics classes at it's highest level, it still wan't too high, maybe 10".
    On the bench, I feel it!