Crunchy knees and sore ITs... ooo ooo wee.

Options
sbro32
sbro32 Posts: 130 Member
Hi, Guys! I looked around for this topic, but couldn't find one off hand. So sorry if it's a repeat that I haven't seen yet. I have an IT band issue (tight and sore after runs) that's getting more annoying with age. 35 now. So I'm trying to incorporate better strength training to complement my race training schedule. I run the mini-marathon in my town every year. I don't have convenient access to weights (though I own a couple of 15 pounders, if that counts), so I try and focus on using body weight. I was doing squats and lunges, but nowadays my knees make sure a horrible grinding sound when I do them that I'm hoping there's an alternative. I appreciate any thoughts or advice. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Tagging
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Tagging too for ideas :)
  • paprad
    paprad Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    tagging

<crunch/grind/creak sound effects from me too>
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I don't know what to tell you about your crunchy knees but are you doing any PM/PT for your IT band? I roll out my IT bands and quads before every run and it helps immensely. I had a really bad issue about a year ago and went to PT for it and after a few weeks of doing the assigned exercises it cleared up. It starts to get a little achy every once in a while but I just roll it and it fixes it right up.
  • sbro32
    Options
    I actually just start using a foam roller, but I've been doing it after runs. I'll start trying it before too. Thanks for the suggestion! And yeah, I should look into some PT. Good thought.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    Exercises that strengthen your hip flexors will help with your IT band issue and rolling the IT band and the quad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3C3Px8KcnQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziw6tJTcBGQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La3xYT8MGks

And stretch the sh1t out of your quads.
  • sbro32
    Options
    Thanks so much, sjohnny. I'll be incorporating these right away. Do you think wall sits are beneficial too?
  • sjohnny
    Options
    Thanks so much, sjohnny. I'll be incorporating these right away. Do you think wall sits are beneficial too?

As far as your IT band goes I don't think so. They don't hurt anything though and they may or may not help your knee issue. I just find them boring as fvck.

I've found that the more I strengthen the muscles in my legs - especially quads - the less problems I have with my knees. And I used to have HORRIBLE knees.
  • paprad
    paprad Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, sjohnny

II was listening to a couple of youtubes in which Bret Contreras talks bout the knee-out-cue and when he stood up, on both the videos, there was an audible creak and groan - which oddly comforted me - he's so fit and clearly wasn't in pain, so the crunch by itself, while it sounds ghastly, is probably not an issue unless it starts to pain
  • sjohnny
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, sjohnny

II was listening to a couple of youtubes in which Bret Contreras talks bout the knee-out-cue and when he stood up, on both the videos, there was an audible creak and groan - which oddly comforted me - he's so fit and clearly wasn't in pain, so the crunch by itself, while it sounds ghastly, is probably not an issue unless it starts to pain

Still not a bad idea to get it checked out.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    IT band issues arise from several different issues. One issue is tight hips. The IT band is an inflexible piece that runs from the knee structures to your hip muscles. Under developed and inflexible hips are a trigger. The other issue could be muscle imbalances. Being either quad or hammy dominant can also trigger IT band issues.

1. Foam rolling is always a good idea regardless of if you're injured or not. As is incorporating a good hip mobility program. I used to recommend www.mobilitywod.com, but it appears they may have become a paid site.

2. Figure out what the actual root cause is. A physical therapist should be able to do this. Make sure they have experience with runner or are a runner themself.

3. If you haven't yet go to a running specialty store, have them look at your running gait and have them recommend the right shoes.
  • sbro32
    Options
    Thanks, scott. Yeah, I might have to go the Physical Therapy route this year. I appreciate all the information!
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    I have crunchy ('crepitus') knees. as long as there is no pain associated with the noise, it's just the way it is and will continue to be. a physio told me once they are crunchy they are always crunchy. If there is pain, you need to get it checked out.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    A few months ago I switched from expensive running shoes to expensive barefoot shoes (merrill) for all activities (walking, work, weights, hiking) along with working with a personal trainer who is making sure I strengthen the correct muscles and keep everything balanced.. My terrible knees have never felt better - and I have been complaining of my knees hurting since I was 4 years old. Had many docs tell me it was "growing pains" , which lasted well into my 30s. The last few months have been absolutely wonderful and I will never wear "regular" shoes again if it stays this way! Not sure if it is for everyone, but I have terribly flat feet and am knock-kneed in general, and barefoot seems to be what *my* knees seem to like - no cushioning or fake arches as they hurt like crazy. my 2cents
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I had to stop running due to sore knees... from my IT band... from my hip... thanks to weak gluteus medius muscles. Lots of body weight and band work to start with, focusing on correct activation and and strengthening of those muscles, and I'm back on the road to recovery :).

FWIW I'm 34 and also have crunchy knees. Apparently (at least according to my physio) it is not a big deal and unless it is a symptom of something painful then not to worry.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Foam roller, ball roller, and Active Release Technique. My hip flexor locked up a few months ago and this saved me.
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you are crunchy! I go to a sports chiro for my knees (achey in both and popping noise in one!) and he tells me to do the following:

Lateral Step-downs (2x15)
    Wall sits squeezing a med ball between your inner thighs (2x15)
    Glute thrusts (2x15)
    Seated leg extensions with toes pointing in (activates VMO; 2x15)

You should be able to google all these. The idea behind the step-downs is to make your knee track the way its supposed to.

For ITB, I do this routine when things start feeling wonky (along with the other stuff others mentioned, like foam rolling):
    http://strengthrunning.com/2011/02/the-itb-rehab-routine-video-demonstration/
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I was late for an appointment, sprinted down a fairly steep hill (in heels) which resulted in an ITB strain that was agony at the sides of my knees for about three weeks. :sad:
    I found foam rolling was really painful but definitely helped and I now do this before and after exercise. My physio recommended abbductor/adductor resistance exercises to strengthen the hip, which I've been doing for a couple of weeks. I've started running again and so far so good - I really don't want another strain like that!!
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner but I had crunchy knees. I started using knee wraps to keep them extremely toasty during workouts and they have completely stopped crunching. I had hip flexor issues and wore neoprene pants to keep them warm and that has gone away. Maybe try out some compression type warm gear in key spots. Not thin UnderArmor stuff but actually 3-7mm thick neoprene type stuff.

Tom