New to the group and need some help with TDEE and numbers

Options
Dayala06
Dayala06 Posts: 22 Member
Hi there. I was recently directed your post http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets which opened my eyes to so much. I came upon the TDEE method the beginning of last month but it seems I always get a different number of calorie intake I should be doing and as I read more and more about TDEE I just find myself getting confused and a headache haha. I started at 264 lbs and am now at 232 lbs. I cant give up now I need to keep going! Can someone please help me out here? I also get confused on the Carbs,Protein, Fat intake I should be consuming for weight loss.

A little back ground info on me:

male
5'9 or 69 in
232 lbs
i work a desk job so the most activity i get there is walking to the bathroom and to the break room and to my car
i go to the gym about 3-5 times a week and mostly do cardio and just recently started doing some light weights.
current calorie intake is at 2,300
nutrition is set at carbs 45%, fat 25%, protein 30%
my goal is to lose weight and gain some muscle

my food log is open so feel free to look at it and I will take any and all input. thanks in advance!

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Could you complete the questions laid out in this thread (the ones not already covered in your OP): http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/910257-the-new-and-improved-asking-questions-about-your-intake

Thanks
  • Dayala06
    Options
    Hi! Sorry it took me so long to get back but here it goes...

- 28/male/5'9/232 lbs don't know my body fat

- current calorie intake is 2,220 and I'm usually just about 5-10 calories off my goal daily

- current gross intake of carbs are anywhere from 200-250g, fat around 55-75g, and protein usually around 150-180g

- I just recently purchased a scale so for about a week now I have been weighing pretty much everything I can

- I do track everything, even if its one chip that I had to taste, or even a small mini candy, condiments etc... I do track everything.

- I don't take cheat days where I go crazy over my calorie intake. If I know I am having a "cheat meal" I still make sure I log it so i can work my other calories around the "cheat meal".

- March 2013 I weighed 263 lbs. By July 1, 2013 I was at 236 lbs. I got off track and September 2013 I was at 241 lbs. After that my last weigh in was December 20 2013 and I was at 231 lbs. at this point I was only consuming 1300 calories and my fitness pal friends were telling my I was not consuming enough calories and that is when i stumbled on TDEE and I went up to my current 2220 calories but was just not sure if this was still the right amount I should be consuming.

- I work a desk job so the most activity i get there is walking to the bathroom and to the break room and to my car. I go to the gym about 3-5 times a week and mostly do cardio and just recently started doing some light weights.

Again my diary is open. I hope this is all the correct info you need. If not I'll be glad to answer any questions or fill in any blanks. Thanks again!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    What was your weight doing in the 4 weeks prior to 12/20, in weekly increments if you have it. Also, what has your weight done since upping your calories?
  • Dayala06
    Options
    this is how my progress followed leading up to 12/20:

10/08 241 lbs
    10/22 237 lbs
    11/6 236 lbs
    11/20 234 lbs
    12/3 234 lbs
    12/6 231 lbs
    12/19 231 lbs
    12/20 229 lbs

Starting 12/21 is when I upped my calorie intake to 2200. Now it probably wasnt the best time considering those 2 weeks following were the holidays. Most of the days though I did long my food diary, and ate my calorie number increase. From 12/20 up until today I did not go the gym at all. Only day I went was 12/29. From 12/29 I did not go to the gym until today was my triumphant return! I weighed myself today and I weighed in at 232 lbs. So in that time frame from 12/20 when I weighed in at 229, then upping my calorie intake, I gained 3 lbs.

I hope this is the info you needed. Anymore let me know!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Thanks. We will get back to you shortly
  • Dayala06
    Options
    Great!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Hi!

As you have had quite a few changes to your usual activity, your intake, have just started using a digital scale etc we would like to set you at an intake level and assess in a couple of weeks so we have better data to give advice.

We would set you at 2,200 calories with macros at:
    Protein: 180g
    Fats: 60g
    Carbs: 235g

Try to get within 5 - 10g either side of these if possible.

We will probably look to changing your routine up a bit, but want to wait to do that so these changes do not skew the data we will be getting over the next couple of weeks.

Please could you get back to us in 2 weeks, or earlier if you have any questions. Make sure your weigh your food where possible and track/log as accurately as you can.
  • Dayala06
    Options
    Ok great I'll get right to it. One question I do have ... Using TDEE on MFP I was told not to log my exercises as it can mess up the macros or something to that effect. I was told if I wanted to I can just keep my exercises in my notes, is this correct? Just needed clarification in this.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Ok great I'll get right to it. One question I do have ... Using TDEE on MFP I was told not to log my exercises as it can mess up the macros or something to that effect. I was told if I wanted to I can just keep my exercises in my notes, is this correct? Just needed clarification in this.

Hi!

Try to keep your activity consistent and eat to the numbers given, irrespective of exercise.

Some people log exercise as 1 calorie so you can track it easier but not mess your numbers up.
  • Dayala06
    Options
    Awesome! That's what I needed to know. I will be back in about 2 weeks with some updates!
  • Dayala06
    Options
    Hi there! It's been about 2 weeks and a couple days so I wanted to come back with a report as you asked. As of yesterday 1/29 I weighed in at 227. I stuck with the 2,200 calorie you told me to set and also maintained staying as close as possible to the macros you told me to meet. When we last spoke I was at 231 so I've lost about 4 lbs since then. I weighed all my food and tracked every little thing I ate within these past 2 weeks. Hope this is enough info for you, if not as always let me know. Thank you in advance!
  • Dayala06
    Options
    Bump
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Sorry we never replied. Since it's been another week since your first update where you went from 231 to 227, can you let us know what you're weighing in at now?
  • Dayala06
    Options
    It's ok. I weighed myself today actually and I went up a pound so I'm at 228.
  • Dayala06
    Options
    I weighed myself agin today and I'm at 227 still
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Lets have you reduce carbohydrates by another 25g which will pull calories down to 2100. Keep fat and protein the same per our previous recommendation.

When you get a chance please let us know what your current resistance (weight) training program consists of as well as total cardio (how long per session, number of sessions per week).

Good work so far.
  • Dayala06
    Options
    Ok awesome! So just to be clear I'm lowering calories to 2100? Along with the reducing carbs by 25 as you stated. I will get back to you as soon as I can with my exercise numbers . Thanks again!
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Ok awesome! So just to be clear I'm lowering calories to 2100? Along with the reducing carbs by 25 as you stated. I will get back to you as soon as I can with my exercise numbers . Thanks again!

Correct.