Caloric Deficit and/or Ketosis....does it matter?

Options
Hello again!
I touched on this topic in my last post and I'm looking for some clarity. Ketosis turns your body into a fat burning machine. Now, if Im in a caloric deficit, and still low carb and not in Ketosis (Example...Paleo, healthy carb eating, etc ) wouldn't I be receiving the same benefits as Ketosis Thank you :o)

Replies

• missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I would say yes but maybe to a lesser degree. I see results usually just by lowering my carbs and have never lowered to the amount that would get me to ketosis.

disclaimer - just my opinion and observation.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    There are two cases where I can think of where being in ketosis is an advantage.

1) For those that have metabolic syndrome / are insulin resistant. By stabilizing blood glucose and insulin, their bodies are able to burn fat stores in a way that they cannot when carbs (and insulin) are present.

2) Those that have become keto-adapted. After an extended period in ketosis (3-4 weeks), your body will adapt and become keto adapted. During keto adaptation, your brain uses ketones as its energy source, and your muscles begin using fat for energy. There are endurance athletes who are now following keto for the advantage this can provide.

Good article on this: http://www.ketotic.org/2012/05/keto-adaptation-what-it-is-and-how-to.html

Even if you aren't trying for keto adaptatiot, and don't have a metabolic issue, ketosis seems to naturally suppress the appetite.

This video is an interview with Phinney and Volek. I haven't watched it all the through, but it looks quite good. Check out in the 26-32 minute range. And around 45 minutes they discuss exercise and ketosis.

http://futurepaleo.com/video-jumpstartmd-interview-with-stephen-phinney-and-jeff-volek-about-nutritional-ketosis/
  • birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    For me yes it has mattered, my weight loss rate is faster and I am not as hungry on Keto vs Low Carb. However if you don't want to do Keto, low carb works well for many others.
  • tanigrrrrr
    tanigrrrrr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    The hunger supression is a major bonus... my skin is a whole lot better.. there is ZERO cravings even for a cheat day...
    When im keto adapted my energy levels are through the roof.. like i literally need less sleep... if i go to bed early im just laying there.
    My weight is going down steadily.. better than it has through low carb and low fat...
    Even my attitude and happiness levels are better...
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    For me, keto makes a difference. I believe I have stalled in the past because of the way insulin works in my body (very efficient at storing and hanging on to fat!!). I'm guessing my body "turns down" the metabolic rate capacity. Also, when it am in keto, I'm not as hungry...the fat I eat provides satiety. So, eating 1200 cal in keto versus 1200 cals as standard American diet provides a different output for me. I'm like a hybrid engine, where one type of fuel source will provide different burning/storing efficiency. :laugh:
  • kiramaniac
    Options
    very efficient at storing and hanging on to fat!!

We are best equipped to survive when the zombie apocalypse hits!!!!
  • kiramaniac
    Options
    Wait. We will be the most in demand then. The zombies will love us best - all of that marbling. :ohwell:
  • jhiggi83
    jhiggi83 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    On a low carb diet your body is still using carbs as your main source of fuel so you do not get the benefit of constant ketosis. I have been doing keto for a week with a 20/4 intermittent fast. The benefit is i am not hungry for the other 20 hours and I find it difficult to stuff down more than 2000 calories. I am loosing weight daily and it help me break the plateau from my low carb diet. With that being said a Low Carb diet is still good for weight loss. I lost my first 12 pounds on a low carb diet.
  • jeniwilmot
    jeniwilmot Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 7 of a LCHF diet with ketosis in mind--I eat roughly 25g carbs a day. I think the advantage for me has been no cravings. I mean, if I pass a billboard for ihop I think, dang that looks good. But otherwise I'm not sitting around thinking of what I can't eat. I'm having a hard time reaching my calorie goals--so it's a good thing I'm losing weight pretty quick. I can lower my cal goals! :)

One week in and loving it so far.
  • JoshuaElement
    Options
    Wait. We will be the most in demand then. The zombies will love us best - all of that marbling. :ohwell:

Our fat stores are on top of our muscle fibers, not entwined like it is with cattle. So at the very best we'll have soft layer of fat similar to suet that's found on aged cows.
  • delta229
    delta229 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Everyone has to speak for themselves when it comes to calorie count. My weight loss is better and my vitals better if I control my calories. I monitor my BHB with a meter and record and correlate the results. I know what foods do what. During eating I maintain a Keto level of around 2.0. During my current ULC Fast I am at 2.9. It takes time to figure it out. Dont depend on the urine strips.