Critiue my squat and deadlift....

Options
jlclabo
jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
so im prepping towards my first meet in march and i just wanted someone to give me some ideas as to where i am form/depth wise on my deadlifts and squats. i know i need to go deeper, i think, but both videos are final sets in my workout. 5th set of squats, and 5th set of deadlifts so i was a little fatigued.

squat set. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loR-aDmlNZ8

deadlift set. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1X-lkp9APM

any and all pointers is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Camera angle makes squats hard to tell. I see you're squatting with plates under your heels; are you planning to compete in oly shoes? Looks like the first couple of reps were good but then you started cutting them high. Get another video straight from the side with less fatigue and have another go at a form check.

Pulls you're folding over a bit much; also possibly a fatigue issue, but work on driving hips forward and chest out once you clear the knees. Maybe try to get your shoulders out from in front of the bar when you break the floor.
  • jlclabo
    Options
    Camera angle makes squats hard to tell. I see you're squatting with plates under your heels; are you planning to compete in oly shoes? Looks like the first couple of reps were good but then you started cutting them high. Get another video straight from the side with less fatigue and have another go at a form check.

Pulls you're folding over a bit much; also possibly a fatigue issue, but work on driving hips forward and chest out once you clear the knees. Maybe try to get your shoulders out from in front of the bar when you break the floor.

yes i am planning on oly shoes, just gotta get them, lol. ill see what i can do to get a better angle, sadly space is limited in the power rack area. fatigue was an issue, but its no excuse for breaks in form. my head shot up on the pull and brought my shoulders too far forward, so i am working on that. im shooting for 305 bench, 405+ squat, and 455+ on deadlift. i really want a 1200 total, but its my first meet and ive only been back lifting since may '13 after a 20 year layoff and not a lot of it was power. i was doing more hypertrophy and cutting weight. oh, and i am still eating at a deficit only 2100 cals a day. taking tomorrow off and saturday will be squats and the plan is to do some warm up sets, then work my way through some 1 rep lifts up to 405 and see how it goes. ill try to video them and post them back here and see what you think. thanks again for the advise.
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    1200 total is what I'm working towards, too. Hoping to compete in 198 class. Right now I'm sitting around 1100 though.
  • jlclabo
    Options
    ive pulled a little over 1100 in the gym and that was a while back before i was really set to do this meet. i know my bench is where im lacking. im hoping like hell for that 305. i got it yesterday, but that wasnt with a pause per say. was slow and controlled the whole way down, no bounce on my chest, just touch and press. my grip is killing me on deadlifts. i have rack pulled 545 before, but today 455 was just slipping out of my hands. granted at the meet the knurling on the bars will be much better, and ill also be able to use chalk.
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    What grip do you use? Have you tried "liquid chalk?"

Yeah my pull is leaps and bounds head of my other two. I'm 385/265/450 right now. 4/3/500 are my goals.
  • jlclabo
    Options

Yeah my pull is leaps and bounds head of my other two. I'm 385/265/450 right now. 4/3/500 are my goals.

i use regular grip up til about 365, then switch to over/under. my current gym dont allow any form of chalk. ive never tried liquid chalk. does it leave any residue or evidence of anything on the bar? i may try to use it on a late friday or sunday evening since ill be about the only one there and the attendants dont come around when its not busy. too concerned with playing online, lol
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Two major things that I see are:

You're gonna have to deload a bunch on squat. You're way short of depth and will definitely get red-lighted on any of those reps, IMO. Get a better shot from the side when you take your next video. Get the camera dead-on from the side and at about knee-to-hip height or so.

Deadlifts, make sure you're locking out at the top. Push those hips through and stand tall for a second or they will red light you on that too (you will have to wait for the command to lower the weights in competition).
  • jlclabo
    Options
    Two major things that I see are:

You're gonna have to deload a bunch on squat. You're way short of depth and will definitely get red-lighted on any of those reps, IMO. Get a better shot from the side when you take your next video. Get the camera dead-on from the side and at about knee-to-hip height or so.

Deadlifts, make sure you're locking out at the top. Push those hips through and stand tall for a second or they will red light you on that too (you will have to wait for the command to lower the weights in competition).

i appreciate the info. i thought i wasnt deep enough. i have been deloading on squat and also deloaded bench just to work on form and the pause at the bottom. both of those videos are from before i was even considering a meet, but i will continue to work on my depth. ill get new video as soon as i can and upload it. i generally do lock out and hold on my deadlifts, but i was exhausted and my form went to hell. head movement, shoulders, etc.... on my rack lifts i pull them and hold for a 3-5 sec count, plus i have also started just loading the bar and pulling it up and doing intervals of 15-30 second hold to work on my lockout form and grip strength. either way i will be working on everything you guys are telling me because it can only help me to be a stronger lifter. thanks.
  • Huffdogg
    Options

i use regular grip up til about 365, then switch to over/under. my current gym dont allow any form of chalk. ive never tried liquid chalk. does it leave any residue or evidence of anything on the bar? i may try to use it on a late friday or sunday evening since ill be about the only one there and the attendants dont come around when its not busy. too concerned with playing online, lol

The stuff that I have leaves nothing you can notice without really looking for it. It basically just dries your hands out. It's a mixture of a powdered chalk and alcohol and works very well.

Might want to try just using a pronated grip until it fails every workout before you switch to mixed. Helped me a lot.
  • jlclabo
    Options

The stuff that I have leaves nothing you can notice without really looking for it. It basically just dries your hands out. It's a mixture of a powdered chalk and alcohol and works very well.

Might want to try just using a pronated grip until it fails every workout before you switch to mixed. Helped me a lot.

ill keep at it with pronate til i just cant do it any more. im also gonna pick me up some of the liquid chalk and give it a shot. worst case scenario the kick me out of the gym, then ill just go to a better one... just cant beat 45.00 for 6 months, 80.00 for a year there, lol. the bars where i am at suck too. very very little knurling.