Feeling warmer

Options
Roze_Lintje
Roze_Lintje Posts: 57 Member
Hi!

I don't know if this is keto related or not. But since I started eating lower in carbs and higher in fat, I feel warmer. I used to be cold all the time. In the winter I couldn't sit still to long (like watching tv) otherwise I would feel chilly and needed a blanket. Now I don't anymore. Same thing when I'm sleeping, I was always cold, but now I wake up sweating most nights. At first I didn't link it to keto, but now my mom is saying the same thing. She's not lchf all the way, because she likes to eat her yoghurt with rolled oats and raisins in the morning. But she's defnitly eating much lower in carbs than before.

So I think it's because of eating lchf but I'm not sure. So that's why I'm asking here. Are any of you experiencing the same thing? Or do you think it's related to something else?

Replies

• epcooper
    epcooper Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Since I started keto, I sweat profusely every night when I'm sleeping. It's annoying. I always though that night sweats were a result of elevated blood sugar though, which doesn't make sense to me at all. I'd really like to hear if there's a scientific explanation for this too.
  • ea101367
    ea101367 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Funny , I have experienced the reverse with sleep, but then again I am in pre-menopause. I find since Keto, my night sweats/hot flashed are greatly reduced and I sleep much more sound.
  • MommaSherryB
    MommaSherryB Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am 41 and have same experience - sometimes I can actually feel my face flushing/red/hot. I stay hot all the time. I am on a very low carb diet as I am prediabetic. This is definitely different than hormonal hot flashes. I havent found any scientific explanations either.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I was a warmer at first too. It's because my metabolic rate increased. It was awesome. Unfortunately, from losing so much insulating fat, and perhaps my metabolic rate slowed a bit too (MFP recommendations had me undereating for over a year before I clued in) I'm now cold all the time. I live in the Arctic and I have an old and cold house so those are contributing factors as well.
  • Roze_Lintje
    Roze_Lintje Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    So it might actually have something to do with keto. I've found a forum where other people where saying they were also warmer then normally. But I can't seem to find something scientific :( I'm still really curious.

http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/does-ketosis-cause-an-internal-rise-in-body-temperature/2344