PCOS and TT

Options
creay2012
creay2012 Posts: 124 Member
I was diagnosed with pcos in 2005 and diagnosed with thyroid cancer in 2009. Had a total thyroidectomy. This makes it even harder to lose weight IMO. Is anyone else in the same boat? Have you had any success with symptoms / weight?

Replies

• coburngirl2
    coburngirl2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Does your doctor have you on insulin? My longtime friend has PCOS and has to take metformin and has actually lost about 30 lbs since then, changed her diet a little bit and works out twice a week on a good day lol
  • creay2012
    Options
    The short answer is no. He did run my blood sugars and the are fine therefore will not prescribe metformin. I am not a big advocate for scripts if I can do it with diet I prefer since I hate taking pills. Hence the lack of consistency with vitamin lol I was wondering if anyone had any diet secrets that has worked given both these issues
  • coburngirl2
    Options
    PCOS is linked to spikes in insulin so what about following a diabetic diet ( carb consistent) for a week or 2 and see how you feel??
  • MeepleMuppet
    MeepleMuppet Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    MEEEEEEE!!! My insulin is fine as well so there was no discussion about medications to manage the PCOS other than a very recent prescription for that Sprio-one to help with the facial hair. I found that going lowish carb/lower sugar worked pretty well initially for weight loss, though I plateaued right before the holidays. My endo's been adjusting my Levo dosage every 8 weeks but I kind of believe her when she says that wouldn't effect my weight, since the increments are so small (the last change was to cut a pill in half one day a week).

This month I go back to tracking carbs and reducing sugar and see if I can get this weight loss going again. In the hayday of my new diet (pre-holidays) I was dropping a full pound every two weeks. Really slow by anyone else's standards but a total victory for us thyroidless Cysters.
  • coburngirl2
    Options
    Any pound that comes off and does not come back is a VICTORY lol
  • creay2012
    Options
    MeepleMuppet I have tried low card low sugar high protein but it is hard to follow. Can I ask how much carbs/sugar you take in with a low diet?

I agree on the facial hair I think I keep the salon in business with the amount of waxing I get done. I just want to get under 200 by may I don't think it is realistic at this point but I will try
  • MeepleMuppet
    Options
    My intake is relative. I was eating a bagel for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, and eating out about four nights a week, using tortillas the rest of the nights (chili and tacos, chili and tacos, every week chili and tacos). For sugar, I used to have a latte every day with flavoring and three mint patties from a co-worker's desk. That's why I say "lowish" and "er" because I just did what I could. No more bagels, reduce the number of sandwiches to once or twice a week, cook dishes that we didn't want to roll up into a tortilla. I try to grab only one chocolate a week, switched to Cafe Au Laits with sugar free flavoring. That got me a net loss of 14 pounds before the holidays. Unscientific, I admit. But the changes are sustainable (with the exception of the sugar over the holidays) and that's what was important to me.
  • creay2012
    Options
    great loss. I don't know what is wrong I tracked me food for 2 weeks and somehow I lost 2 pounds week 1 (water weight) and gained 3.3 pounds week 2. I am just confused and frustrated
  • WrenPat60
    WrenPat60 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    What is pcos?
  • MeepleMuppet
    Options
    Polycystic ovarian syndrome. Hormone imbalance that causes a variety of symptoms including extraneous hair, fertility issues, and, because we can't process sugar properly, weight gain/difficulty losing weight.
  • MeepleMuppet
    Options
    Creay - I wouldn't sweat anything less than a 4 pound swing over, say, three weeks. Water weight is a crazy thing and the swing really can be that large depending on what you have been eating. Allow for that ebb and flow and reevaluate in a month, maybe even two. That's where you'll see the real differences (either way).
  • creay2012
    Options
    Meeplemuppet-- it is so frustrating. I know I am retaining water and I have asked the dr about a water pill but of course his answer is not necessary. I really need to watch the sodium intake I think that is where I am retaining the most water from. I am addicted to my scale LOL I cant go longer then a full week without jumping on to see progress. We will see how the next week goes. I am going to get bw early next week if it doesn't snow again. I am thinking my synthroid is off due to the symptoms I have been having.
  • MeepleMuppet
    Options
    Yup! That's exactly what happens to me. I LOVE eating out and can always tell for the next two days when I over did it on the salt. I weight myself every day, against the recommendations of people here on MPL. But I'm a gamer and you always need to know where you are in the scoring :)

Good luck with the retest! I have mine in another week (again! 8 weeks just flies by when you hate needles). I was a hair's breath from 0 the last time so hopefully this last adjustment did it. Sometimes I get the feeling it's going to be like Ernie trying to even out the two Twizzlers on Sesame Street. Ooop, this one's a little short. Now THIS one's short, back to the first one....
  • creay2012
    Options
    I totally get it. Hindsight is 20/20 if only I knew how hard it would be to lose weight and feel healthy.....oh well looking forward

As for salt intake I finally caved into a craving I have been having and had Chinese food which is loaded with salt. I am hoping with extra water,green tea and some cranberry juice it does the trick lol I do not want to see a gain this week. I do need to start adding in some cardio but have no energy kinda a 20/20 I never felt so energized then when I went to the gym but I cant seem to get going this time around.

what makes it worse is I have a party coming up in may and want to look somewhat healthy (if this makes sense)