New to Paleo, and I have a few questions!

Options
2»

Replies

• LunaGreen
    LunaGreen Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, for all your feedback. I really appreciate all the information I have received! After a lot of research and suggestions, I think I will just skip the Paleo breads for now. It seems like that might be the better road. Do you guys use Organic soy sauce on any of your stir-fry dishes? From what I have read, the organic soy sauce is kind of a grey area, but I think it would really help out in our stir-fry's. We are going to pick up a bottle and give it a try.

I don't, but I like a little bit of sesame oil!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, for all your feedback. I really appreciate all the information I have received! After a lot of research and suggestions, I think I will just skip the Paleo breads for now. It seems like that might be the better road. Do you guys use Organic soy sauce on any of your stir-fry dishes? From what I have read, the organic soy sauce is kind of a grey area, but I think it would really help out in our stir-fry's. We are going to pick up a bottle and give it a try.

1. Soy sauce is typically frowned upon not just because of the soy, but because it also typically uses wheat. If you're going to use soy sauce, make sure you check the labels. Organic does not necessarily mean Paleo-compliant.

2. Soy in particular has high levels of phytoestrogens, which mimic estrogen in the body (mike's link to MDA touches on this, and these go into more detail - http://www.paleoforwomen.com/phytoestrogens-estrogens-and-estrogen-receptors/ http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3074428/ ), which is part of the reasons it's frowned upon (particularly if you have a personal/family history of breast cancer or hormonal imbalances such as PCOS). It's also high in phytic acid, which inhibits nutrient absorption (again, the MDA article touches on this, too).

3. The soy in soy sauce is marginally less bad because it's fermented, which helps break down the various lectins that Paleo tries to avoid, but use sparingly, or better yet, go with Coconut Aminos ( http://www.coconutsecret.com/aminos2.html ).
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    My kids like this and I used to make it, but very rarely bother these days. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread23434.html

Each person is very different and you'll have to find what works best for you. SInc children need more starches to help them develop properly and I need some to maintain my thyroid function, we use rice a few times a week to help stretch the budget and meet our dietary needs. We buy conventional meat because we just can't afford grass fed as much as we would love to buy it. I buy the "sale" meat from the grovery stire that is marked down and has been frozen. That saves us a lot of money. We also use frozen veggies, or only buy produce in season, which also helps save money.

I like the Diamond brand "nut" thin crackers, just make sure you buy the ones that have no flavoring because the added stuff for the flavors is crap.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    My kids like this and I used to make it, but very rarely bother these days. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread23434.html

Each person is very different and you'll have to find what works best for you. SInc children need more starches to help them develop properly and I need some to maintain my thyroid function, we use rice a few times a week to help stretch the budget and meet our dietary needs. We buy conventional meat because we just can't afford grass fed as much as we would love to buy it. I buy the "sale" meat from the grovery stire that is marked down and has been frozen. That saves us a lot of money. We also use frozen veggies, or only buy produce in season, which also helps save money.

I like the Diamond brand "nut" thin crackers, just make sure you buy the ones that have no flavoring because the added stuff for the flavors is crap.

To the OP - a note about the above mention of rice - Rice is considering a "safe starch" in Primal/Paleo circles, because it doesn't contain as high levels of the anti-nutrients found in most other grains. In this light, white rice is actually better than whole grain (and I think brown, too, but someone more educated in rice might be able to confirm this), because the rest of the grain is where the anti-nutrients are, and white rice has that stuff stripped out. That said, it's still a starch and a relatively simple source of carbohydrates, so use sparingly if you're trying to lose weight.

As for meat (to the OP and Nutmeg76) - Check out farmer's markets to find local farms and butchers. You might be able to work out deals to get biologically appropriately fed and pastured meats (pro tip - chickens and pigs are omnivores and foragers, they should be getting their protein from non-plant sources).

I don't know about the OP (OP, here's your settlements, I don't know how close they are to you, though - http://amishamerica.com/missouri-amish/ ), but Nutmeg76, I know there's Amish near you, and if you're willing to travel a couple of hours (about 3), you're not far from the primary Amish settlements up in the Holmes county area. They generally grow their livestock the old fashioned way, pastured and without antibiotics (whenever possible), and you can generally find the meat at a lower price than...well...anywhere. I highly recommend finding them and checking them out. They may also have general stores that you can shop at that will sell most things for cheaper than grocery stores.

Don't limit yourself to Whole Foods stores, and you can get the good foods without breaking the bank. :flowerforyou:
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Hello all, my name is Lauren and my husband and I began a Paleo lifestyle a week ago today. We were looking for a lifestyle change, not a diet, that would help us both feel satisfied, healthier, and shed some weight in a healthy way. I have tried many times to lose weight and have always ended up disappointed because I ended up hungry at the end of the day. My husband worked with a few people who followed a Paleo lifestyle and suggested that we try it. After some research we decided to give it a go!

So far I am doing well and haven't had any slip-ups ( aside from a dash of milk in my coffe in the morning). There have been a few cravings of course ( I would have looooved some stuffed crust pizza tonight) but so far so good. And my husband and I both feel great just after a week. He has acid reflux, and hasn't even had to take any medicine since we started eating Paleo! We have three kids and are on a budget grocery wise. We are trying to make this diet affordable, but it is more expensive that our previous eating style. Yes, I know the price difference will be worth it in the end, but I was hoping some of you might have some buying tips?

Are there any good, online sites to find Paleo bread mixes, or premade breads and other items? I found a site called "Julian's Bakery" that seems promising. But I was wondering if anyone else had ideas?

Also, we have 3 small children and want to incorporate some of our eating habits in their diet as well. We have done some stir-fry dishes and bun-less burgers, chicken dishes, ect.. Anyone out there have some easy dinner recipes? I know there are lots of good dishes you can make, with the right ingredients. But we are trying not to spend to much on extra things, like Almond Flour, Coconut Milk, ect. I know some will be inevitable, but we want to try to work with what we have as much as possible. Anyway, any help will be appreciated. I look forward to this fresh start!

coconut milk/coconut cream is worth purchasing! Its really useful in loads of dishes, both savoury and sweet. also almond milk has been essential for me. We buy it when its on special - normally about $2.50L, whereas normal milk is $1L. For me its worthwhile because I love coffee and would be cheating too much to continue drinking it on normal milk.

things like indian curries are really easy to make paleo. having them with a cauliflower rice instead of white rice works well. Once you have all the necessary spices in your cupboard, they can be really cheap to make in bulk.

also instead of deliberately cheating, if we feel like a treat we'll make something like pumpkin pie or banoffee pie using all paleo ingredients. Its still indulgent and delicious but no negative side-effects or backwards steps.
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options

As for meat (to the OP and Nutmeg76) - Check out farmer's markets to find local farms and butchers. You might be able to work out deals to get biologically appropriately fed and pastured meats (pro tip - chickens and pigs are omnivores and foragers, they should be getting their protein from non-plant sources).

I don't know about the OP (OP, here's your settlements, I don't know how close they are to you, though - http://amishamerica.com/missouri-amish/ ), but Nutmeg76, I know there's Amish near you, and if you're willing to travel a couple of hours (about 3), you're not far from the primary Amish settlements up in the Holmes county area. They generally grow their livestock the old fashioned way, pastured and without antibiotics (whenever possible), and you can generally find the meat at a lower price than...well...anywhere. I highly recommend finding them and checking them out. They may also have general stores that you can shop at that will sell most things for cheaper than grocery stores.

Don't limit yourself to Whole Foods stores, and you can get the good foods without breaking the bank. :flowerforyou:

We shop mainly at the Commissary, which limits our options a bit. We just moved here in September, so the money for buying better qulaity meats was just not avilable. We have scoped out the local farms and plan to order bulk meat once we get our tax money back. In AK we had a reat butcher that charged reasonable prices for local meat and produce so we ate a lot more grass fed meat before we moved.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

We shop mainly at the Commissary, which limits our options a bit. We just moved here in September, so the money for buying better qulaity meats was just not avilable. We have scoped out the local farms and plan to order bulk meat once we get our tax money back. In AK we had a reat butcher that charged reasonable prices for local meat and produce so we ate a lot more grass fed meat before we moved.

There are tons of little butchers here in Ohio (hello from Columbus :) ), but sometimes you have to search for them. With a little looking, I've little doubt you'll find one up here. :flowerforyou:
  • MidModJenn
    MidModJenn Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are 3 weeks in, and we've discovered a number of swaps that have really helped us to stay on track:

- we're taco freaks, so we use romaine lettuce leaves instead of taco shells to hold the fillings.
    - as others have mentioned, cauliflower "rice" is fantastic... we have that at least once a week.
    - gajar halva is a delicious dessert that can be made paleo by substituting honey for the sugar and coconut milk for the milk (and leaving the raisins out): http://www.food.com/recipe/gajar-halva-carrot-pudding-an-indian-dessert-101085

i'm also trying "cloud bread" for the first time today... there are a ton of recipes if you google it, it's completely grain-free. making that may help you out because you'll be able to still have sandwiches between something that actually resembles bread (instead of lettuce leaves all the time). good luck!