Post-surgery-Foods you can no longer eat.

Options
I'm 5 year out from RNY and I used to love all kinds of seafood, but now I can't eat any kind, no matter how it's fixed without it coming back up. So I don't even try anymore. I also can't eat a scrambled egg but can if it's hard boiled or fried. It's got something to do with the texture I guess. Like drinking sodas I know I can no longer have them.

Replies

• Skykilr1
    Skykilr1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 5 months out from a sleeve. The only food I haven't been able to eat was fried rice. I have no idea why. I have eaten regular types of rice and it was fine but twice I tried some fried rice 2-3 bites and it came up. :,( no more Chinese food for me.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Almost 4 months out from Sleeve and I cannot tolorate meatballs that contain too much breadcrumbs. Have eaten small amouts of bread and rice with no issue but certain meatballs leave me real sick.
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Any type of doughy bread of course. Some types (but not all) of flour tortillas, but even those I can handle, can't be a medium or large size, small ones only. Guerrero is the only brand I really trust.

I can't seem to handle spicy food as much as I could before. They still taste great, but the stomach complains. (This could just be an age thing, not that I want to admit that.)

Otherwise all I've had problems with involve moisture levels of the food. The only thing even close to making me lose it was seriously over dry roast pork.

Edit to add - 8 months out from my sleeve.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I'm four and half years out from RNY -- the only thing I cannot tolerate is rice. I can eat very small portions of fried rice or white, on occassion without problem, HOWEVER, if it is whole grain or brown I cannot. CAN. NOT. It is just too dense I think.

Oh, and pears. Can't do pears. Weird, I know.
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I prefer COLD meat to eating meat hot. It is a chewing issue that I can't get a handle on. Rare beef used to be a favorite, but not any more. Pork always makes me I'll, except for Bacon. ????❤️❤️❤️
    I still do not eat rice, pasta, or soft squishy bread. I make my own bread and crackers, full if protein for crunch in my life. Chinese veggies like bok chop and celery and corn do not make me smile either

CHOCOLATE, NO PROBLEM @€¥%#!!
  • tabatham1982
    tabatham1982 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I can't handle pork! I don't know what it is about pork but I just can not handle it! I also have a hard time with fruits that have any sort of skin or membrane. I seriously miss eating oranges!

I have had very small bites of rice, pasta and bread and did not have a problem but I try to stay away as much as possible so I don't get back in the habit of eating them!!! Spaghetti with spaghetti squash is my new friend and is surprisingly yummy!!
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I'm 6 months out from sleeve surgery and I can't tolerate rice. It comes up every time. In a way I'm glad because it always was a trigger food. Now I've learned to stay away from it.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    15 months out (rny) and I can eat anything. Nothing comes up. Never vomited EVER and I think the only thing that I ever had an issue with was the time I cheated and tried a sip of soda with a meal. That didn't work well and I realized why they say no soft drinks. But all in all, I can eat anything. Had a little rapid heart beat with apple pie, but it is kind of scary how I can eat anything I want.
  • CynthiaGuinn50
    CynthiaGuinn50 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everybody's responses :smile:
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I'm 3 months out and haven't found anything that doesn't agree as long as I eat slowly and don't over eat.
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Ice cream! But I guess that's not really a bad thing!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I am almost 4 months out and so far I haven't come across anything that didn't agree with me. I am making pretty safe food choices though, I haven't gone near any carbs or sugar or anything outside of the guidelines my surgeon gave me. I am not in a hurry to experiment!
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Three months out from the sleeve and there is nothing that I consider "off limits". As long as I stick to eating slowly and tiny portions I can eat what I choose. I've tried rice, beef, fruit skins, bread and raw veggies. All are fine in small quantities.
  • JenaOnTrack74
    JenaOnTrack74 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Very interesting everyone, it will be interesting to see what I will no longer be able to eat (if anything).
    I am wondering once you realize you can no longer eat a food you had eaten your whole life is it something you just shrug off or do you ever "miss" it?

Also I am wondering on the flip side, has anyone ever started LIKING a food they always disliked before??? The reason I ask is I have NEVER been able to eat tomatoes, I like pretty much like all veggies, except tomatoes and I really wish I DID like them as they are such a healthy food. I can't even imagine liking them!
    Could it happen?
  • garber6th
    Options
    There weren't many foods I didn't like before, so I haven't experienced liking something that I didn't like... but one thing I noticed is that I don't care for sweet things any more, and I LOVED sweets. I have protein drinks and bars, but they just seem overly sweet to me now. I have to choose flavors and brands that don't taste too sweet for me. I never EVER thought I would lose my taste for sweets! Who knows though, in a year I could like them again!
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I am lucky enough to be in Orlando this week. (60+ degrees instead of Minnesota way way below zero. ). I am 3 years out, and with a visit to a theme park today, found myself dehydrated and hungry. We grabbed a double cheeseburger for lunch. I cut off 1/5 of the burger, ate tw bites and felt ok. First burger in three years with bun. Two more small bites and sick. Eh!,, did go away after 30 min but obviously still not ready for squishy bun, greasy burgers and lettuce. Camelback to resort, took off shoes, found blister! Fit bit says 18,000 steps Going to take a nap and push water. I really think dehydration the major issue.

On the bright side candy and sweet shops no longer a temptation.
  • BunBun85
    BunBun85 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm 21 months out and I can and do eat anything/everything.
  • LolaBug85
    LolaBug85 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm 8 months out (RNY) and I can eat anything. I don't have issues with anything including rice, pasta, or bread. I eat very little of these however. Although I do eat whole wheat pasta when I'm craving some spaghetti :) Pretty thankful on being able to eat rice because sushi is my favorite food!
  • garber6th
    Options
    I am crossing my fingers that I will be able to eat sushi! Haven't tried yet, but I am going to have to at some point soon!
  • Gidget162
    Options
    Does anyone do well with wheat pita pockets?