"Cold" pool motivated faster lap time :)

Options
fishgutzy
fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
When we had that sudden drop to single digits in G'boro, both the pool heater and the air heater in the pool area failed. Closed for one day.
They got the pool heater fixed first. That only brought the pool up to 78 degrees compared to the usual 85.
This was awesome from my perspective. It seriously thinned out the 5am swim crowd for the last 3 mornings.
The cooler temp also made it easier to push myself the entire 100 laps (5000 yards). Clock time ( including 9 stops for a sip) was 98 minutes today. Normally it is 95 for 90. I'm hoping to keep the pace increase when they get the water temp back up to where the AquaFit folks need it.

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I agree, that's the way I like it
  • arserine
    arserine Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    78 is actually the standard temperature for competition pools. It feels cold at first but eventually you get used to it and by the time you work up a sweat the water cools you down. I find it very uncomfortable to do a workout like I was used to in college in a pool over 80 degrees because I overheat way too quickly.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    When we had that sudden drop to single digits in G'boro, both the pool heater and the air heater in the pool area failed. Closed for one day.
    They got the pool heater fixed first. That only brought the pool up to 78 degrees compared to the usual 85.
    This was awesome from my perspective. It seriously thinned out the 5am swim crowd for the last 3 mornings.
    The cooler temp also made it easier to push myself the entire 100 laps (5000 yards). Clock time ( including 9 stops for a sip) was 98 minutes today. Normally it is 95 for 90. I'm hoping to keep the pace increase when they get the water temp back up to where the AquaFit folks need it.
    Awesome swimming!!!!! I wouldn't be able to swim in 90-95 degree water. Watch your heart rate in that temperature. You Rock.
  • matthew_b
    matthew_b Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    85°F? I can't do squat when it's that warm. I'm WAY slower.

The pool I swim in is normally 80°F. It's a bit cool getting in, but still is a bit warm when I get to work. One of my best swims so far was one morning when the fill float stuck. They didn't notice it until the filter pump sucked air so the pit was totally empty. When the life guard kicked the float, thousands of gallons of city water dumped in. I was already well into my workout when that happened. It felt wonderful!
  • matthew_b
    matthew_b Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Awesome swimming!!!!! I wouldn't be able to swim in 90-95 degree water. Watch your heart rate in that temperature. You Rock.

What do you have to worry about? Racing heartbeat?

I notice I get dizzy if I get too warm. I get dizzy and tingly fingers if I push the oxygen too low. If either happen I back off.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    All of the avid swimmers loved the few days it was 78 to 80.
    But as soon as the got the air heating system running again it only took a couple days to get back up to the "normal" 84/85 degrees,
    The Y keeps it here because of the senior aqua-fit classes. Of course if the senior had their way it would be 93 degrees.
    When my wife goes into the aqua fit classes she wheres scuba wet suit shorts and a log sleeve dive top.

I don't wear a HRM all the time. But a couple times a week I do so I can use it to push myself harder with a target heart rate.
    Other time use the second hand on the giant lap clock. It only a minute hand and a second hand. I see how many second I can shave off a 60 second lap time.

Highest temp long swim in the last couple months was 150 laps with the pool at 88 degrees. Drank almost a half gallon during that swim.