Adopt-A-Noob: BrainyBurro + Kellys_Heros

Options
2»

Replies

• BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I understand lifting weights (4 sessions a week) would be beneficial, but as I can realistically only do 2 sessions a week in the gym.... are there any DVDs you can recommend that I could do at home?

it's ok if you can only do 2 days a week.

weight lifting is pretty easy and at the beginning, with some dumbells you can do quite a bit for yourself at home.

even bodyweight exercises (i.e. calisthenics) will work for you at the beginning.

you don't even need to start strength training right now if you can't or don't want to. it's something you should learn about and plan to do in the future (it's really helpful for keeping your bones dense), but you don't have to start out at a gym or start out with a full program. do what you can, when you can.

DVDs are generally cardio programs. i don't think you need them. most people who do them don't realize that they can make their own program just as easily or that they get bored with exercise and the DVDs help them "follow along at home" without getting bored.

cardio is all about burning calories. that's all it is. you don't have to even exert yourself hard to do that. lots of DVDs make it look like you have to rush through a bunch of aerobic moves quickly in order to burn calories. that's not true. all you need to do is start moving.

for a beginner, with limited access to the gym or free weights, you can simply start by doing this.

- go for walks/jogs/runs/swims as often as time allows and you feel good
    - do body weight exercises (calisthenics) every day at home. things such as pushups, calf raises, jumping jacks, etc.

here is a website full of all sorts of exercise information. you can learn by reading the information found there:

http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html

remember:

weight loss is simply about eating fewer calories than you burn
    nutrition is simply about tracking your nutrients and making sure you get the right amounts
    fitness is all about moving more and making your muscles adapt to stress