Hot Chocolate 15K

Options
RedHotRunner
RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
Has anyone here done a Hot Chocolate15K run? I've read mixed reviews, depending on the location.

It has a failry reasonable entry fee ($65) and i'm jonesing for one of those tech jackets.

Just want to see if it's worth my while.

Replies

• essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have. Last year. I did Dallas. I HATED it. Soooo totally disorganized. There was poor communication from the event staff. It was held in Downtown Dallas, and they failed to tell us about road exits/closures, so traffic was backed up for miles. I remember sitting there thinking I could take a certain exit, but after waiting for nearly half an hour, found out it was closed. They didn't give clear parking directions, either so a lot of people were stressing about being late. I even left two hours beforehand to ensure I got there on time, and I don't live that far from DownTown.

I don't know which one you're doing (San Diego? Judging from your pic?) but the Dallas one was also not my favorite course. I PR'd in this race, but overall was just disappointed with how things were run. Don't think I'll ever do it again.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I have. Last year. I did Dallas. I HATED it. Soooo totally disorganized. There was poor communication from the event staff. It was held in Downtown Dallas, and they failed to tell us about road exits/closures, so traffic was backed up for miles. I remember sitting there thinking I could take a certain exit, but after waiting for nearly half an hour, found out it was closed. They didn't give clear parking directions, either so a lot of people were stressing about being late. I even left two hours beforehand to ensure I got there on time, and I don't live that far from DownTown.

I don't know which one you're doing (San Diego? Judging from your pic?) but the Dallas one was also not my favorite course. I PR'd in this race, but overall was just disappointed with how things were run. Don't think I'll ever do it again.

Sorry to hear this! I was thinking of doing one of these just because they sound really fun and you know, chocolate. :laugh:
  • RedHotRunner
    Options

Thanks Essjay....that's pretty much what I heard about Chicago too. Very disorganized. And i'm seeing FB posts today from SF that the parking situation is difficult. Maybe i'll pass this year.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    And here's a similar vote from the DC race (Dec 2011)... it was, without a doubt, the most poorly organized event I've ever run. Ever. They just had no idea what they were doing. The race started >45 minutes late since there was an enormous traffic jam to even get into the parking lots; then the course was waaaaayyyy short (as in, ~0.25 mi short, as measured by my Garmin and many others making the same complaint at the end of the race); there's just zero chance I ran that fast. So it made for an impressive PR, but it's not real.

I had heard about the Chicago race being a complete disaster that same year, too; I vowed to never, ever run another event organized by this race organizer. Just terrible. Chocolate is good, but I can get that anywhere... not worth this kind of experience!
  • RedHotRunner
    Options
    And here's a similar vote from the DC race (Dec 2011)... it was, without a doubt, the most poorly organized event I've ever run. Ever. They just had no idea what they were doing. The race started >45 minutes late since there was an enormous traffic jam to even get into the parking lots; then the course was waaaaayyyy short (as in, ~0.25 mi short, as measured by my Garmin and many others making the same complaint at the end of the race); there's just zero chance I ran that fast. So it made for an impressive PR, but it's not real.

I had heard about the Chicago race being a complete disaster that same year, too; I vowed to never, ever run another event organized by this race organizer. Just terrible. Chocolate is good, but I can get that anywhere... not worth this kind of experience!
    Thanks. I think i'm out till they get their act together.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Pros: the tech hoodie is AMAZING, the chocolate "bar" was creative & fun/tasty, cool "after party", really awesome running through DT Denver

Cons: sooo disorganized (Denver PD did amazing, race personnel not so much), finishing times were updated to their results page inaccurately for the first day or so (seriously??), just overall feeling of being rushed and anxious from traffic/parking/crowds etc...
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Chicago one has been a mess for a couple years. I've been opting out. Maybe if they ever get their act together..
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options

I considered the Hot Chocolate 15k this year but they DID NOT have race day packet pickup. Which meant I would have to drive over an hour to get down to Fairpark on the friday before the race. UH, NO THANK YOU!