Just switched medications!!

Options
Hi everyone! I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when I was 16 and have been taking levothyroxine ever since, but I still suffered from symptoms and even suffered from vertigo and heart palps. The most recent dose I was on was 175 MCG of the levothyroxine. I just switched to Armour, which is natural and has T3 and I am excited to see if this actually helps and makes a difference for me. The doc prescribed 90 MG. I would like other people to share their experiences, successes, and failures with their medications. I feel like thyroid diseases aren't taken very seriously, but they affect your entire body and you definitely suffer.

Replies

• kcvance
    kcvance Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Sorry about your diagnosis, but you are at the right place!

I got diagnosed many years ago and suffered on levothyroxine for quite a while, then tried a combination of synthetic levothyroxine (T4) and liothyronine (T3) and did better, but I still wasn't "there". I got a new doctor a little over a year ago, and she put me on Armour, and we've been tinkering with my dosages (I currently take 120 mg in the morning, with a 5 mcg Liothyronine supplement in the afternoon - I am still having a reverse T3 issue and an antibody flare-up from my hashimoto's, hopefully that calms down soon).

BUT, I feel GREAT. Like, "normal" great.

I feel that the first step is finding a doctor that will let you try NDT (Armour, Nature-throid, etc.), but the second step is going to take work from you. Without the proper nutrition to back up the hormone conversion, you still may not feel well, and may initially feel way worse, which is disheartening and super-annoying (helpful information here: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/ndt-doesnt-work-for-me/), which was what happened to me - my iron and vitamin D and several of the different B vitamins.

Tons of other great information on the Stop the Thyroid Madness site. Let me know if I can help in any way. :-)
  • dacspace
    dacspace Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    So along the lines of switching to Armour... do doctors typically balk at that idea?
  • LisaWill86
    LisaWill86 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in May of last year, Hashimoto's in December (once I found a doctor who would listen to me and actually tested me for it - my mom has it so I figured chances were good...). I'm just on Levothyroxine for now. My PCP had me on 25mcg, then 50mcg, and he actually wanted to bring me back down to 25mcg. My endo moved me from 50mcg to 75mcg, now on 88mcg. If my TSH is below 2.5 at my next visit (early March), he's going to put me on a T3 med (I guess a synthetic version of Armour as I'm vegetarian) assuming the Levo doesn't miraculously start working for me in the next few weeks. :-)
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    So along the lines of switching to Armour... do doctors typically balk at that idea?

Interested in seeing what others say. I've had 3 (including 1 endo) insist they prefer synthroid because they don't have confidence in Armour or other naturals having consistent dosage. :huh:

But then, I've also heard doctors insist any value w/in the vast "normal range" means you should feel 100% healthy, and had an endo insist he just "pushes through" his own hypo-ness drug-free. So despite being a biologist working in bio-med, I've developed a healthy [sic] skepticism regarding medical professionals and their opinions.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I've also heard doctors insist any value w/in the vast "normal range" means you should feel 100% healthy.
    My endo says this to me every visit, and it drives me crazy! I want to switch doctors but I'd have to stay in the same practice, and I'm worried about getting a bad reputation like Elaine on "Swinfeld."
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    If my TSH is below 2.5 at my next visit (early March), he's going to put me on a T3 med (I guess a synthetic version of Armour as I'm vegetarian) assuming the Levo doesn't miraculously start working for me in the next few weeks.
    There's a vegetarian version of Armour?!?! I've never discussed Armour w/ my endo b/c I had no idea there's a non-pig version!
  • LisaWill86
    Options
    I'm not sure of the name, but I think it starts with "Nature." Maybe "Naturethroid"? I mentioned being a vegetarian in passing, and he looked almost mortified and said, "Why didn't you TELL me? I almost gave you pig!" To myself I thought "Well, I thought that was my only option..."
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    I saw my endocrinogist today, and he said there's no such thing as "vegetarian Armour."
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    But then, I've also heard doctors insist any value w/in the vast "normal range" means you should feel 100% healthy,

Bull *kitten*!!!

Especially since the "normal range" varies from doctor to doctor--there are several out there. The old one is 5, many labs use 4 and the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists recommends 3. Make sure you know what version of "normal" they're labeling you as.

If you don't feel OK, even though the number says you should, advocate for yourself. There's lots of legit research out there to back you up. Your quality of life is important--please don't let anyone convince you that it's all in your head!
  • cari4jc1
    cari4jc1 Posts: 233
    Options
    I also got switched to Armour from Levothyroxine after switching doctors. It took a few months, but I finally started to feel better. I still get very tired after working out...like almost can't do anything the rest of the day, but overall I feel so much better. It took a few months so hang in there. I have yet to see any improvement weight wise though. I eat at a "deficit" and workout at least 4 times a week and burn quite a bit of calories and have yet to lose weight. I'm getting to rmr tested in a couple weeks to finally find out for sure what my calorie goal should be. I have a feeling I'm either eating way too few calories or too many.

Good luck and hope your switch helps you. :)
  • LisaWill86
    Options
    Here's the not-from-pig version of Armour: http://www.rxlist.com/cytomel-drug.htm
  • GinNJuice75
    GinNJuice75 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I am jealous my doctor wont listen to me about armour. Although called something else here in Canada. I live in a small town so once you have a family doctor you cant switch. Nor will any of the doctors go against your family doctor :-(

I dont have a thyroid and even though my levels are *fine* on synthroid (175mcg) i feel awful all the time and not like myself.
  • rararobyn
    Options
    I just got off of Cytomel (which was used in combination with Levo) because of the massive headaches it caused me. Unfortunately, Cytomel isn't a vegetarian substitute for Armour. Cytomel is a T3 only drug. Armour contains T4, T3, T2 and T1.
    I had an objection to Armour at first because I've been a vegetarian my whole life, but not feeling any symptoms and overall health improvement kicked that feeling to the wayside. I'm back on NDT after almost 6 months off. I went back to Levo and Cytomel in Sept. and I'm a miserable mess. I've gained 40 lbs in 6 months and am officially heavier than I was at 35 weeks pregnant with my twins. Fingers crossed Armour gives me my life back again :-(
  • LisaWill86
    Options
    Ahh... That's what it was then. I'm gonna be put on Cytomel in addition to to Levothyroxine instead of switching off of Levothyroxine for Armour exclusively.

I found this interesting regarding the "which is better" debate (which doesn't apply if you're a vegetarian...): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc8tXvfi_sU I also find irony in the fact that it was uploaded on my wedding day... :)
  • charleigh78
    charleigh78 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I was on Synthroid for ten years. At first it was ok, but it got worse and worse. I was more and more tired. More and more hair loss, weight gain, awful joint pain, foggy headedness, etc, etc, but I was on the right dose. At times I was on enough Synthroid to get my TSH down to a 1 or less and still just felt awful. Armour is life changing for me. I have only been on it for 6 weeks and I have not even had my dose correction yet, but I can tell you....I will NEVER go back to synthroid. The fog has lifted, my weight is budging, and my joint pain is gone. Stay with Armour at least until they get your labs in line and then see what you think.
  • brenda5476
    brenda5476 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    heading to my first endo appointment this week. Have to drive 7 hours to Vancouver cause local Dr. won't try me on "Armour" cause she doesn't think I should switch cause my TSH is at 2. But....I am losing my hair, dizzy, tired and a bit depressed - so gonna talk to endo and see whats my next plan of action

thanks for sharing all the useful info
  • fitbrit19
    fitbrit19 Posts: 55
    Options
    Never even heard of Armour. So glad I read this post. Despite my levels being within normal range on 225 mg of Levy I never feel quite right.