protein..

Options
im 4 weeks out from my sleeve on my stage 3 diet which allows me to eat fish tuna canned chicken cottage cheese lunch meats etc my quiestion is how am i supposed to get my protein? my blue book my doctors gave me which they call the bible because i have to live by what it says says i need to be eating 600-800 calories a day and about 80 grams of protein a day i find this impossible i cant eat a full serving size of anything im still at the 1/3 of a cup stage everything i eat is high in protein but it still gets me no where near the 80 grams and i have been drinking my protein shake every day anyone have ideas on how i can reach the 80 grams while not making my stomach stretch or feeling miserable?

Replies

• Tristaan
    Tristaan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm about 8 weeks out from RNY, sometimes I struggle to get my 60 grams of protein, and I still rely on shakes (although my Dr says they want me on "real" food). I think it would be impossible to get all your protein without using supplements during the first several weeks. I use fat free (and now lactose free) milk in my shakes so I get about 28g protein right there. There's also an add in called "Invisiwhey" by Twin lab, which I add to greek yogurt. It's 10g protein/2 TBS. It doesn't do well heated, as in a soup, but it's okay with yogurt or cottage cheese for a boost.
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I remember that all to well. The only way I was ever able to come close was:

Premier Nutrition Shake - 30 grams, 160 calories

One of the better Greek Yogurts like Chobani or Liberte that have up to 20 grams, about 140 calories depending.

Add in protein powder to things like cottage cheese.

If you are seriously concerned, ask the surgeons office. You will probably be told to get as much protein as you can, but don't worry too much about it at this stage. However, the more protein you get in, the less hair you will lose, or so my surgeon told us.

Hang in there, it does get better. At about 5 or 6 months you will be worried because suddenly you can eat a lot more. Use this time to learn how to eat well.
  • rgoodeats
    rgoodeats Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    At this point you really have to do it with your supplements. I use Unjury medical protein they have it at the hospital here or you can get it online but my fav is Muscle Milk. I get 11 oz packs from Sam's they have 20g each of protein. Not sure if you have one there but TC does. Other then that I will have Greek yogurt in the morning and low fat small curd cottage cheese I think its about 13g and only 80 calories. Might be a good idea to check out other peoples food diary's and see what they are coming up with.

Good Luck
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    The more protein the faster you heal, the quicker you get strength back, the more fat and less muscle you use.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    You need to be using a protein supplement. I use Syntrax Nectar, (fruit or tea flavored powder that mixes with water) or Quest protein bars. I typically need 1-2 supplements per day to get my requirement, even with the food I'm eating. My diet is unrestricted now. I expect I'll supplement protein for the rest of my life.