Protein powder reaction

Options
KnitSewSpin
KnitSewSpin Posts: 147 Member
My husband picked up some Isopure zero carb protein powder for me a few weeks ago. I finally had a chance to eat some yesterday. My protein was low for the day so I mixed one scoop in a half cup full fat Greek yogurt. I immediately got a very bad stomach ache after I ate it. A half hour later my heart was racing, I couldn't think straight, and I got very, very irritable. I was picking up my daughter from ski practice, so when I got home I measured my blood glucose and it was 59! I ate some berries and some cauliflower mashed potatoes and about an hour later my levels were back up to 80's, which is where it usually is after a meal.

What the heck? I've never had a hypoglycemic episode like that before. Why would protein powder cause something like that? Very odd.

Ps, I've had small amounts of full fat Greek yogurt in the past few weeks with no reaction.

Replies

• fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's one heck of a reaction. Maybe it was too much of a protein jolt for you. Perhaps you needed more fat in there, to keep the fat percentage up. Protein does spike your insulin, which can then cause your blood sugar to plunge real low. It's possible this is what happened. In ever meal, whether it is lunch or dinner or snack or just a smoothie, you need to make sure your fat calories are higher than protein. Protein is insulinogenic, so it cannot be the primary component of your meal. Fat dampens the insulinogenic jolt of protein.