Hypertrophy rep range while at a deficit

Options
First up - I know there can be no significant growth while eating consistently at a deficit. So don't worry - it's not that post again.

What I am wondering is whether there are other, less visible benefits to working in the hypertrophy range while at a deficit. Is there anything else going on in the muscle at these rep ranges which is independent of net Calorie intake?

Endurance was the one obvious thing I could figure out for myself. Just wondering if there is anything else.

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    There are more eloquent reasons as to why, but I'd say you put a fork in your own thread with this one:
    Endurance was the one obvious thing I could figure out for myself. Just wondering if there is anything else.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I would be interested in answers to this.

My own thoughts/guesses would be easier progression and better/faster recovery doing hypertrophy rep range compared to strength rep range on a deficit.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Tagging
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    I look forward to listening in if there's a discussion here.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Eavesdropping....
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    bump for further reading
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Going to try to lay my thoughts out in a not too garbled way.

Lifting in the hypertrophy range does a bunch of things - it grows muscle, it strengthen ligaments and tendons, it helps neurons to fire better etc (assuming progressive loading, as even in a hypertrophy range you are still getting some myofibril hypertrophy as it's not an on/off switch from strength to hypertrophy).

I tend to look at it this way (it's oversimplified, but a way of explaining it). We are in a constant state between anabolism and catabolism. Muscles are broken down and built up. In a deficit, this balance is on average a net status quo. Some people will have a net loss of muscle, especially if very lean, not training intensively enough and/or if their deficit is large. Some some people will have a net muscle gain, especially if obese and if new stimuli are provided to the muscles.

That is re muscle growth - it does not really impact (or not that I am aware at least) the ability to strengthen ligaments and tendons for example.

Also, training while at a deficit will allow improvements in form that can be capitalized on when eating at maintenance and/or a surplus. It sort of sets the stage for a more successful bulk.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    As someone who spent his almost entire weight loss in the strength range, Id have to agree with Sara as far as lifting the the hyper range is good for improving form.

its hard some times to have great form if you are lifting in the strength range consistently. I found that my muscles fire better as I've been lifting in the hyper range for a while now. I feel like I can contract the muscle better now as a result of my hyper program I've been on.

Just dont go crazy with volume while on a deficit. I get tired very quickly.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Going to try to lay my thoughts out in a not too garbled way.

Lifting in the hypertrophy range does a bunch of things - it grows muscle, it strengthen ligaments and tendons, it helps neurons to fire better etc (assuming progressive loading, as even in a hypertrophy range you are still getting some myofibril hypertrophy as it's not an on/off switch from strength to hypertrophy).

I tend to look at it this way (it's oversimplified, but a way of explaining it). We are in a constant state between anabolism and catabolism. Muscles are broken down and built up. In a deficit, this balance is on average a net status quo. Some people will have a net loss of muscle, especially if very lean, not training intensively enough and/or if their deficit is large. Some some people will have a net muscle gain, especially if obese and if new stimuli are provided to the muscles.

That is re muscle growth - it does not really impact (or not that I am aware at least) the ability to strengthen ligaments and tendons for example.

Also, training while at a deficit will allow improvements in form that can be capitalized on when eating at maintenance and/or a surplus. It sort of sets the stage for a more successful bulk.

While I'm by no means an expert, I especially agree with the bolded parts.