DIY Medifast?

Options
mrsd1006
mrsd1006 Posts: 13 Member
I recently (this past Monday) started medifast through Take Shape for Life. I had debated it for well over a year and one of my best friends is a coach. I've lost 5lbs and 2 inches so far and have a goal of losing at least 40lbs (would put me at the weight I had always been, but 50lbs would be ideal). I was able to afford the first month due to having a little extra, but my hubby has been out of work and I don't think I will have the $$ for month 2. I am also starting to feel really bored of the food--And it's not the lack of sugar/carbs that's bothering me, it's just the lack of variety. We have also doubled our grocery budget to eat lean and green meals on top of it (It's easier to cook one thing for the whole family instead of making separate foods all the time).

That being said, I started looking for alternative plans that follow similar guidelines using whole foods and eating 6 smaller meals a day--it's a lot more like the 4 & 2 plan, and the one I found encourages whole, organic, low carb and low GI foods, doing a balance 400 calorie breakfast, 3 100 calorie fuel breaks, a 400 calorie dinner and 100 calorie snack. Supposedly, this generates very similar results to using the meal replacements.

I do like SOME of the foods, and I have spent an AWFUL lot of money on my first month so I'm staying on the plan until I've completed it, but I have a few worries:

1) I can't afford it after this like I thought I would
2) I'm afraid the first month will be cancelled out if I don't stick with this EXACT plan
3) I'm afraid I'll have wasted the $$ that's left
4) I'm afraid it will cost the same as this does anyway
5) I'm worried that if I stay ON medifast, I will get so sick of it I will eventually cave, cheat, and ruin it all because I am so bored.
6) I'm worried if I transition into the "real foods" version and it works, I'll regret doing medifast for a month and spending the $$

Has anyone ever done a DIY version of the plan? (In one of the books my coach gave me, Dr A outlines the same type of eating plan without meal replacements and using real food) If so, have you been successful? I am looking for any thoughts and advice, good, bad, indifferent. I still have 3 weeks yet but I'm not sure what to do.

Replies

• loveme76
    loveme76 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have tried the DIY version. It's ALOT of food. Once you get used to the Medifast 5 &1, eating that much food seems unusual. You will keep burning if you stay on the plan. It keeps your carbs low and keeps your metabolism going. It take a lot more meal planning. I work full time and a single mom of two.. It was easier for me to do the 5&1. For the lean and green, I make one meal, I just serve a starch to my boys and I don't eat it. That way I'm only making one meal and just leaving out the starch for me. My boys are aware of my program, so they make sure they eat whatever I make up so I'm not tempted :-) Hope this helps, good luck!
  • mrsd1006
    mrsd1006 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't work full time and I desperately miss "real" food--especially because everything with medifast is processed. Every time I slice an apple for my kids I am dying to eat it. It's sad that the things I miss are not the "bad" things, but the good ones.

Reality for me is that I can't afford to reorder and stay on medifast and not only that, but I don't want to have wasted my first month of loss (right now I am in week 3 and am down 15 lbs) My sister has been telling me for a while (she is very well educated on food allergies, nutrition, whole/organic foods) that she believes I am sensitive to gluten & dairy. Well, It seems to ME that it's the elimination of gluten and limiting of dairy and the increase in water that are making a difference for me along with spacing out the portions throughout the day.

Since convenience food isn't a neccessity for me (I LOVE to cook) I am feeling more and more pulled to designing my own plan! Weight loss, while important, is not as big of a priority as life-long changes and sustainability.
    I have tried the DIY version. It's ALOT of food. Once you get used to the Medifast 5 &1, eating that much food seems unusual. You will keep burning if you stay on the plan. It keeps your carbs low and keeps your metabolism going. It take a lot more meal planning. I work full time and a single mom of two.. It was easier for me to do the 5&1. For the lean and green, I make one meal, I just serve a starch to my boys and I don't eat it. That way I'm only making one meal and just leaving out the starch for me. My boys are aware of my program, so they make sure they eat whatever I make up so I'm not tempted :-) Hope this helps, good luck!
  • chunkygirl23
    chunkygirl23 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I find that the amount I spend on Medifast is actually well spent. Otherwise, I was going out to eat, stopping by the gas station to get a soda and candy bar. Those things add up. Are you participating in that offer where if you join medifast advantage (may be called something else on the TSFL side) and your first order is at least $250, you get 4 boxes for free? I'd take advantage of that deal. I know the food might be bland but after a while, i've found that I got used to it. I was on this program for about 6 to 7 months and I lost A LOT. Unfortunately, my emotions and life took over and I jumped off the bandwagon before I was prepared to do so and I gained it all back. So I'm back on. I've tried finding cheaper alternatives such as maybe someone on craigslist who didnt want their meals anymore but no one ever responds for some reason? Maybe you'll have luck with that. If you can scrape up the money, I'd give this meal plan some more time. It does work, but you have to let it work. For my lean and greens, I usually make 2 boca burgers(something i've never tried before medifast, but i ended up liking them) and some veggies or a salad. I usually can shop sales for my veggies, sometimes a bag of them will be $10/10, so just one dollar each. And I DO make a different meal because I know my kid will not dare eat what i'm eating lol.
  • Cbryce2012
    Options
    Hey girl..... Follow my fitness pal with me.... We spent like an extra 40 bucks on groceries for 2 weeks and it has been so easy for me so far... I just make sure to stay in the green for Everything! I know from experience when i lost like 60lbs right before i had sadie i switched diets a few times... don't give up because then it will all be for nothing... Switching to a different healthy eating plan will not hurt! Use This fitnesspal for free spend 10 a week to meet me at the gym and spend the money you save on the veggies/proteins you need!
  • Cbryce2012
    Options
    Except i went over on fat today and sodium but still under my calorie goal!!
  • dashdoll9
    Options
    Did you use the help of a health coach to lose 60 lbs or through the support forums and such? Just tryignt o decide if I should use a health coach or not. :smile:
  • judifree
    judifree Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I found this downloadable DIY medifast guide that has really helped me. Worth every penny to get all of the information in one place to do it on my own. Already down 10 lbs in 2 weeks. https://medifastdiy.myshopify.com